Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A typical winter day in Southern California... (pics)

Yeh, just another sunny day.... beautiful, crisp, and clear. Last week's cold heavy rain dumped some new snow in the mountains, and yesterday was one of those clear, crisp, winter days that you can't resist being outside to enjoy. Hubby wanted to ride to the post office to mail some bills, so I joined him and we turned it into a nice 1-3/4 hour ride.

Yes, Virginia, there is fall color (and snow!) in southern California...

On our favorite bike trail, there were lots of walkers, a few people on bikes, and some skateboarders.

Closer to home, a view of snow-capped Mt. Baldy, a favorite challenging mountain ride for many cyclists.

Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    1961 Follis Road Bike, 1992 Specialized Allez, 2008 Specialized Roubix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two seasons - autumn and winter - in one day. Nice...
    This post is a natural product. Slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects.

Icyclist, the blog considered too areodite for bikeforums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great shots. We have 6" of fresh snow and an equally fresh temp of 14F. I think I'll head down to the trainer after I shovel the snow.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The trees still have their leaves later than normal this year. Normally the trees would be bare of leaves by now. A late fall? Late summer? I hope this is a sign of a cooler-than-normal summer in 2009.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, your weather is nice, but it looks to me like your earthquakes have caused your church steeples to tilt to the left.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice pics. Looks a lot like the weather we had yesterday and today -- except your temps are probably 20+ degrees warmer.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RonH, our weather is warm this week... low to mid-70s. Last week was (I'm estimating... we were out of town...) in the 50s. Early mornings are still 40.

We must have been near or at freezing while we were gone, as some of the leaves on our tropical plant have black spots. That plant was almost all blackened in the mid-20s we had a couple of years ago.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I miss the leaves!

Sweet!! That's thing I hate the most about WINTER, the dead trees, Colorado Springs, CO. is blessed with a lot of trees but they look so out of place in the winter months! Looks like a great day to be on a bicycle, we had a sunny but chilly day on Monday, which I finally got out on the bike for 20 miles to test the new "wireless"cycle computer, which seems to work very well.
    Take care, RIDE SAFE, have FUN!
    B.J. Ondo
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1

The Alta Loma area of Rancho Cucamonga. About 45 miles east of Los Angeles, California. Uphill, downhill and across hill riding; not too level!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icyclist View Post
    Two seasons - autumn and winter - in one day. Nice...

Yah, it's funny; due to the extra warm "fall" we had the leaves on the liquid amber trees and chinese pistaches did not turn color untill Christmas! But I guess good comes to those who wait--most of the trees around me (some several miles to the east of these pictures) are really gorgeous.
    I . . can . . . doooo . . . it

My Bikes
    in my sig line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We had some pretty thick fog today on SGRT from Cerritos to the beach. By the time I got back to Cerritos, it was finally burning off.
    That which does not kill me has made a massive tactical blunder.
    Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen. Louis L'Amour
    '07 Giant Cypress WSD "Radagast the Beige-and-Black" * '97 (?) Bianchi Premio "Orion" * '09 Trek Allant "The Black Pearl"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're pretty lucky here in Western New York as the snow gets deposited directly onto our driveways. We don't have to go to the mountains to enjoy the snow. By the time we're done shoveling the mountains are nicely lined along the edge of the roads and driveways.

My daughter's been home from Culver City since the 20th for the Holidays (that's her in the pic above as she arrived home between pre-Christmas storms). Her boyfreind has made it a point to keep her supplied with pictures from the beach on an almost daily basis......although she was thrilled to get back here for a while I believe she's ready to get back to the somewhat more moderate Southern California climate.

All teasing aside, those are great pics Yen, thanks for sharing. It looks like you're blessed with beautiful countryside to enjoy.

Happy New Year
    Last edited by cranky old dude; 12-31-08 at 03:53 PM.

rae
    My Bikes
    1982 Nishiki Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to take my daughter out of school for the day at least once each winter when it snowed up on Mt. Palomar, to go sledding (The snow usually would not last until the weekend). I never biked out that way, though.

It stayed warm & dry so late into fall that my pear tree did not dropped most of its leaves. Yesterday I had to sweep two trash can of leaves off the patio (again!). Every time a front comes through with strong winds some come down, but it is not fun to rake in winter. I just need to remind myself of the great biking weather we had before it turned cold so abruptly.

Nine or ten more weeks until it starts to warm again (I hope) It will go fast.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you define a "crisp" autumn day? I consider that a day with the highs in the 30s or 40s.

Very pretty, looks like our October.

A sunny, crisp, winter day around here usually means temps around 10-15. Highs around 30 are a warm winter day.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bjjoondo View Post
    Sweet!! That's thing I hate the most about WINTER, the dead trees, Colorado Springs, CO. is blessed with a lot of trees but they look so out of place in the winter months! ...
    To each his own aesthetic of course, but I actually enjoy the starkness and openness of the winter landscape. It gives one a different perspective on the landscape. And dormant (not really "dead" as I'm sure you know) trees reveal their structure and complexity in interesting and often beautiful ways. Now winter wind... that I can do without!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by billydonn; 12-31-08 at 09:46 PM.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    2009 Randonee, 2014 Bike Friday NWT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
    We're pretty lucky here in Western New York as the snow gets deposited directly onto our driveways. We don't have to go to the mountains to enjoy the snow. By the time we're done shoveling the mountains are nicely lined along the edge of the roads and driveways.
    (snip)

Oh, we here in So Cal don't have to go to the mountains to enjoy snow either!

We're so lucky!
    Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
    To each his own aesthetic of course, but I actually enjoy the starkness and openness of the winter landscape. It gives one a different perspective on the landscape. And dormant (not really "dead" as I'm sure you know) trees reveal their structure and complexity in interesting and often beautiful ways. Now winter wind... that I can do without!
    I lived in Beatrice from Aug. '73 to Sept. '74. That wasn't my destination, I just ran out of money there. My coldest winter ever (grew up in NJ); freaked out when I was walking down Court St. and the bank sign showed -10*. I didn't have my bike with me and wished I had, as the roads were structured in such a way that I could've gotten lost in the milo fields and still found my way back home.

ITA re the wind. In winter it's brutal!
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watching the Rose Bowl parade this morning. Checked the weather for Pasadena. It sure is warm there, highs for the next 10 days are in the upper 60s to low 70s. I could deal with that. That's the weather for which we cross our fingers and hope to get in May.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    Watching the Rose Bowl parade this morning. Checked the weather for Pasadena. It sure is warm there, highs for the next 10 days are in the upper 60s to low 70s. I could deal with that. That's the weather for which we cross our fingers and hope to get in May.
    Yeh, it sure is nice here, beautiful gardening and bike-riding weather.........

.....which is why we also have way too much traffic and way too many people.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jen, I just got back from my New Year's Day bike ride - I thought you would like this photo (and it was raining...).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The advantage of snow......no need for the kickstand!

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cranky and Benge, great pics! You guys who ride in the snow really blow my mind.

Now that Hubby has his new knee warmers (Christmas gift from me), nothing should stop him either. We'll give them a try on Saturday morning.

PS - I got 6 new pair of bike socks for Christmas.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Novarro Big Buzz
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like La Verne!

Looks like La Verne! I lived there from 1973 to 1989, beautiful little town.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbelcher View Post
    Looks like La Verne! I lived there from 1973 to 1989, beautiful little town.
    Whereabouts did you live in La Verne?
    Last edited by Yen; 01-06-09 at 09:16 PM.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yen, here are a couple shots of Baldy from different angles. The first is from summer and was taken from the back of Baldy on Angeles Crest Highway west of Wrightwood.

The other is from Jan 1 and was taken by KiddSisko on Mount Wilson Road.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice pics, John. So, is the view from Mount Wilson Road looking east? That is quite a view up there, from the top of the mountain... a very different perspective than I normally have from down below. Away from all the people, traffic, and congestion.... beautiful.

Some day, I hope to be strong enough to ride UP Mt. Baldy, not just to it. We go to the end of Thompson Trail, then head up the road that begins at Padua (can't remember the name) then turn around when it gets steep. I've considered challenging myself to ride part way and increase that distance over time until I can make it up the mountain.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast