Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bike Shoe Advice Needed

I'm a road bike rider and commited user of old style toe clips and am interested in some good riding shoes. Any experiece with PI X-Alp Low MTB/Indoor Cycling Shoes? Other recommendations? (Non pimp-looking shoes only please.) Thanks.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    different shoes work best on different feet but I love Sidi's - and their Dominator (the MTB shoe) is a nice, comfortable, durable, low key looking shoes. Plus if needed, it comes in wide widths!

Go to:

http://www.sidiusa.com/mountian_xcross/dominator5.html

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

My Bikes
    05 Trek 5200, 07 Trek 520, 99 GT Karakoram, 08 Surly 1X1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try these:

http://www.worth1000.com/entries/140...0333TyBX_w.jpg

Sorry... Couldn't resist your no-pimp "limitation".

Actually I've heard good things about Lake. They have a good number of toe clip compatible shoes.

http://www.lakecycling.com/
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    - Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like for toe clips, that a skate shoe might work, like ones made by Vans, or any of the other companies make "skateboard" shoes. Guess you'd want to look for a shoe with a stiff sole, which I think those have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would go with Mt. bike shoes over skate shoes. You want a stiff sole and most of the skate shoes fall into the pimp bin in my opinion.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oilman_15106 View Post
    I would go with Mt. bike shoes over skate shoes. You want a stiff sole and most of the skate shoes fall into the pimp bin in my opinion.
    I've used clipless pedals for so long (20+ years), I can't imagine going back to toe clips and straps. But then, I didn't know there was such a thing as a "pimp bin" either; so I'd vote with Pam, i.e. get Sidi's and just don't bolt any cleats to them.

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm wearing ShimanoDX bmx shoes - all that was available on the shelves here in Adelaide so the choice was easy. Good on the bike - ridden up to 2 hours in them so far without a problem. Good around the office where I wear them all day. They don't look too bad though they've got daft Shimano badges and the like on them. The soles are a bit thin if you're used to walking in thick, padded sports shoes, but no worse than a pair of normal shoes. No sign of wear on the soles after over six months of being used most days in the week for commuting, hanging around uni and in the office.

The sole is stiffer than a normal shoe but not so that you'd notice when sitting around or walking in them. Incidentally, some experts such as Steve Hogg are questioning whether stiff soles actually do support your foot. Rivendell also have something to say on this though their conclusions are a wee bit too radical even for me.

The modern move to those fearsome looking pedals for mtb and bmx look like being a godsend to those of us who have pulled away from the marketing cesspool that is clipless (that's a deliberate attempt to stir Rick )

Richard.
    I had a good bike ... so I FIXED it

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by europa View Post
    The modern move to those fearsome looking pedals for mtb and bmx look like being a godsend to those of us who have pulled away from the marketing cesspool that is clipless (that's a deliberate attempt to stir Rick ) Richard.
    Whatever Richard,

I don't have a problem with you using toe clips and straps, but just please try to stay out of the Pimp Bin!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    Whatever Richard,

I don't have a problem with you using toe clips and straps, but just please try to stay out of the Pimp Bin!

Rick / OCRR
    Yup, he bit hard and I didn't even have to use carbon fibre for bait

Richard
    seriously mate, I was just stirring. I too ride clipless where appropriate
    I had a good bike ... so I FIXED it