Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What long fingered gloves to you prefer?

I think that next to saddles, I've probably tried more types of long fingered gloves than any other component or piece of apparel. Still looking for the perfect glove.

I've tried Pearl Izumi (2 styles), Gore, Performance (and probably more) and have just ordered a pair of Giordana's. My favorite glove has been the PI Gel Lite that is probably 4-5 years old. While it has some type of mesh outer fabric rather than the the windstopper fabric, it actually seems to do a much better job of keeping my fingers the warmest. I've kept the Gel Lites going with yards of sewing thread stitching up holes that keep popping up-especially in the ends of the fingers where I shift.

All the windstopper fabric I've tried just seems to be a bunch of hype or junk. It doesn't seem to slow down the cooler air-or keeping the ends of my fingers from getting numb one bit. I have learned that a little larger glove is warmer than a tighter fitting glove-and works a lot better when using a liner.

For temps under 45 or so I use a synthetic glove liner......but when temps are in the 30's or bleow it only works well after I've hit a hill or two and get really warmed up. Please tell me there is something out there that it not to large and bulky to easily work shifters and will keep my fingers nice and toasty.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If its long finger glove time- it's cold so I use sealskinz. I only use the standard ones but they are waterproof(A necessity over here) and wind proof. They also do a winter weight for if the weather is cold.

But on the MTB- I always use a long fingered gloves. Stops the hands getting shredded by brambles and they have no padding for road use.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Van Dessel CRB, Giant ATX 880,Footbike track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    moose mitts

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried a multitude of "cold weather" gloves from a variety of mail-order houses. They all leaked air, despite their claims, and just didn't do the job.

I ended up with a pair of gloves I got from Targert for $6.00 on sale, many years ago. I wear them constantly, they don't leak air, and they are not too tight around the wrists, so my hands don't sweat.

They are extremely durable, and, sadly, I have never seen any more like them, or I would buy 5 pair just lke that!

For extremely cold, I use ski gloves.
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usually something from Duluth Trading Post.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

My Bikes
    06 Co-Motion Tandem, Fuji Team Pro mine,-Hers, Specialized Dolce
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Several years ago I got a pair of REI lightweight windblocker fleece gloves. I use them for hang gliding and they have kept my fingers warm at over 16K feet. They are so lightweight I just put a pair of short finger bike gloves over them. My hands are never cold. They are so comfy.
    Two blondes walked into a building-You think one of them would have seen it.
    2006 Co-Motion Roadster 2006 Fuji Team Pro, 2005 Specialized Dolce Comp, 2008 Orbea Diva (Red Riders Baby-"The Avocado")
    Custom Simonetti (thanks Steve)

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The last 2 years I wore Specialized BG gloves. My fingers weren't always toasty but they did the trick. In October I won a pair of PI Cyclone gloves that are so warm that sometimes my hands sweat in them. Today on the tandem I wore my snowboarding gloves and was darned grateful for them. They're bulky but I didn't need to be dexterous.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wore my ice fishing gloves on today's ride. They have leather pads for holding poles and other small things. They worked great, blocked the wind and were comfortable the whole ride. On a ride earlier this week my fingers got cold and the temps were about 4 degrees warmer @ 28 while wearing my Performance full finger gloves.

My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Snow board gloves. Warm, flexible, cheap.

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used Specialized BG gloves and liked them except for long rides in soaking rain below 40 degrees they aren't waterproof enough for me.

I am now trying a pair of North Face waterproof / windproof gloves, and like them, but haven't used them yet in heavy cold rain yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    Please tell me there is something out there that it not to large and bulky to easily work shifters and will keep my fingers nice and toasty.
    jppe- you now have yet another reason to get a fixie... since you don't have to shift, you can use ski mitts, and still use your brakes

train safe-

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spenco "Cold Snap" gloves have worked well for me. Got them at Performance I think.

Edit: check that, I got them at Jensen.
    Last edited by billydonn; 01-05-09 at 07:47 PM.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    80's Schwinn Sierra MTB* 07 Jamis Ventura Comp* 09 Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Seirus full finger gloves down to about 30f then add mittens (Gordini's) I don't find myself shifting a lot in the slush-n-ice and actual haven't found shifting/braking on either of my winter rides to be an issue even with gloves and mittens on
    D.
    RYT200
    '86 Scwinn Sierra ATB '07 Jamis Ventura Comp '08 Bianchi Castro Valley '09 Fuji Nevada 3.0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best long finger glove(for road use) is no longer made. Nike windtex back with a nice sticky finger pad things and no padding.

My Bikes
    Jamis Satellite; Ellsworth Scant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had some success with the Descent Wombat , the pull over Mitt does increase the wind blocking and warmth.
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=1141
    Jamis Satellite 08.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like my Manzella Hatchback gloves. They're fairly light gloves, but with a windproof mitt-type cover. I really have trouble keeping my fingers warm when it's cold, and a chemical pack tucked inside the mitt does a nice job.

When it warms up in the afternoon, the mitt cover tucks inside the back of the glove, and it looks like any other light full fingered glove. I picked mine up at Academy for $24.95.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

My Bikes
    Bianchi road bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I, too, have a pair of PI Gel Lites about 5 years old. Best long finger gloves I have used. I bought a new pair of Gel Lites 2 years ago, and they do not compare with the old ones for comfort, I never use them.

If you find something as good as those old PI Gel Lites, please post and let us know.

Bill

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone tried the Specialized Subzero's? Except for the price I like the concept.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...40547&eid=1366

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    Anyone tried the Specialized Subzero's? Except for the price I like the concept.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...40547&eid=1366
    I haven't tried them, BUT... they look a lot like the ski gloves I bought two years back for less money. I've found that using glove liners really helps a great deal. I like the Manzella polypro ones. You used to be able to get them at REI. I don't know if they still have them. As a reference, I use the Pearl Izumi Gavia Gloves with these liners on rides with temperatures as low as 20 degrees with good success.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    a bunch
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I lived back east, I wore XC ski gloves a lot during the really cold months. Can;t remember which ones - but they varied. One thing in common was leather palms for good grip on poles (and bars) some insulation, fingers were mostly fully covered and the backs from the knuckles to the wrists were 'breathable'. Not suited for 'wet weather' conditions - just cold weather.
    I tried full on downhill ski gloves, but those were too warm and caused sweat, which eventually meant I got cold.
    my .02 on what worked for me...

My Bikes
    Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 for the cross country ski gloves for really cold weather. The are warm but do breath a bit to wick away the sweat.
    Model airplanes are cool too!.....

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've changed my opinion. Today in my haste to get out the door for a team ride I couldn't find my PI cyclone gloves about which I raved in my earlier post. Instead, Cgallagh let me borrow his REI One gloves today, with a pair of PI Gel-Lites over top. Temps were in the high 30's-low 40's w/15 mph winds sustained, gusts to 30 mph. My hands were warm without excessive sweating, even on descents and into the wind. When I cooled off my fingers never got cold, either, and for someone whose fingers and toes usually register "popsicle" in winter, that's saying something. I'm getting a pair right now.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a set of PI Amphibs that do it for me on most days. If its really cold I wear my old USAF nomex flight gloves as liners. That way if my bike crashes and burns they can still identify me from the finger prints (so we all said). Also, they're long enough that they fit up under my jacket sleeve to stop wind leaks.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    REI wool dot gloves. $15, ragg wool, with little rubber dots all over the palm, fingers and thumb. Warm down into the 20's, surprisingly windproof, and insulate well when wet.

SP
    Bend, OR