Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Another way to start the New Year right

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-09, 07:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Here's a little questionaire you all should work through. It's from the National Cancer Institute, and it uses the most recent colon cancer risk studies to provide a 5-, 10-, and lifetime colon cancer risk assessment. It takes just a few minutes, and seems to be a good way to start the New Year.

Vigorous physical activity strongly correlates against developing colon cancer, so cycling is strong preventative medicine. I took the test, even though it says it's not for people with a personal history of colon cancer, and came out with a 5.0% lifetime risk (that's based on my lifestyle now, not five years ago when I got sick). The survey is not well made for tinkering with the risk factors by changing the answer to a question to see how it affects the whole, but it's clearly worth a few minutes of your time, and worth spreading to your friends and family.

We've discussed the need for colonoscopies many times here; I challenge each of you to get five people this year into the doctor for the test. Show them this screening questionaire and show them how important it is to get the test. If you've not had it, now is the time.
Old 01-02-09, 08:42 AM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
5 Year Risk: 0.7%

Explanation:
Based on the information provided (see below), the estimated chance for developing colorectal cancer over the next 5 years is 0.7%.

10 Year Risk: 1.4%

Explanation:
Based on the information provided (see below), the estimated chance for developing colorectal cancer over the next 10 years is 1.4%.

Lifetime Risk: 2.4%

Explanation:
Based on the information provided (see below), the estimated chance for developing colorectal cancer over the lifetime (to age 90) is 2.4%.
Old 01-02-09, 09:22 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I'm surprised my percentages are not higher. It's the one C that I really dread the most and think I might be most susceptible to. My grandmother died from it, I had numerous benign polyps removed through 3 colonoscopies, etc. From the questions it sounds like exercise combined with eating leafy green veges along with avoiding certain over the counter meds helps to avoid the onset??
Old 01-02-09, 09:43 AM
DoubleTrouble

Bikes: 06 Co-Motion Tandem, Fuji Team Pro mine,-Hers, Specialized Dolce

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Life time risk 1.6

Thanks for the link. At "our age" one should pay close attention to how we treat our bodies. The old adage of use it or lose it can be very true. Even if we fall victim to some random illness we can still enjoy life while we are able. Eating right, exercising regularly are a good recipe for that.
Old 01-02-09, 10:19 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I'm not saying that there is no risk- But Colon Cancer is not a major risk over here. But the same goes for heart problems and how many of us had had those.

If there is a "Risk" then get it checked out. And it would appear that being over 50 is a risk.

Unfortunately- a colonoscopy is not done here until there is a possibility of a problem being colon cancer- so there is very little information available in the UK.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-02-09, 05:01 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by cgallagh
The old adage of use it or lose it can be very true.
Exactly how does one not use a colon?

My calculated risks:

5 year risk - 0.1%
10 year risk - 0.3%
lifetime risk - 1.7%