Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    2011 Raleigh International, 3 - '73 World Voyageurs, Trek 700
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hip Replacement - Merry Christmas to me!

18 days ago I had a full hip replacement due to a car wreck and arthritis. I'm 51 years old and I'm up and around on a cane, but I can tell that riding is still a long way off. I usually ride about 1500 miles per year which is far less than most of you, but I enjoy every mile! Any words of wisdom from the experienced out there?
    2011 Raleigh International
    '73 World Voyageurs -
    Proud owner of all three colors made! Orange, Blue , Yellow .

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't give you any words of wisdom but I do wish you a speedy recovery.

I ride with a fellow who had a hip replacement a few years ago and he does fantastic on the bike Follow doctors orders
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you start riding- take it easy but before you do get back in the saddle- walk. Even if its with a cane- walk as much as you can without straining anything. When you get to a 4 mile daily walk- you are 2 miles past getting back on the bike.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do what the doctors tell you. If your doctors tell you can't do what you want to do, find different doctors.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. I can't imagine having my "wheels" replaced. Best of luck with recovery. You may want to try some non-impact exercise for a while, like water aerobics. If you can't find a class, you can do something like tread water with a floatation vest or something. Local "Y" or anyplace with a pool should be able to help. Good Luck!
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Merry Christmas, indeed! I hope the new joint offers you pain-free mobility, once you get past the rehab.

I have worked with number of hip-replacement folks, most older than you and one younger. We were all in the water as soon as the docs okayed their return to activity. Their physical therapists were very helpful in helping me develop exercise plans that would strengthen their muscles and protect their new joints.

I wish you a speedy recovery and many miles on your bike in '09!
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    2011 Raleigh International, 3 - '73 World Voyageurs, Trek 700
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The water exercise sounds like a good idea. I'll ask my PT about that. I just can't wait to get back on the bike!
    2011 Raleigh International
    '73 World Voyageurs -
    Proud owner of all three colors made! Orange, Blue , Yellow .

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on your shiny new hip. A word about PT -- be very patient and don't expect results overnight. PT works like magic but requires patience and persistence and the results will surprise you and, in the long run, your hip muscles/tendons/ligaments may be stronger than before.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no expert advice to to give. However, I do ride from time to time with folks who have had knee or hip replacement so it can be done. Motivation helps and it sounds like you have that covered!

Although my wife does not ride, she has had one knee and one hip replaced, and the water exercise does indeed help. It's been a few years since her last surgery and she still does water aerobics faithfully.

Happy New Year -- hope you're back on the bike in '09.
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman