Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

My Buddy is finally coming home!!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-09, 05:54 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

Five weeks after getting hit by a car my cycling buddy is finally going to get to come home from the hospital and rehab. Hooray!! The big day is this coming Monday.

They have at least gotten him to the point where he can drag his bad leg/hip and move himself around from the bed to the wheelchair and to the toilet. He can also dress himself using a long aluminum stick with a grabber on the end of it. He also really likes to use the grabber to scratch is lower leg where a lot of the healing is taking place.

The bike club he belongs to spent all day at this house building a really nice ramp in his garage. They had a lot of guys give up their regular Saturday ride and show up and work all day. Cycling comrades are a unique group.

When I visited him at rehab last night he was more than ready to bust out of the joint. He knew he was ready to go as he was more easily frustrated and his emotions were easily moved. But heck, he's earned that right lying around for 5 weeks and being poked, prodded and awakened in the middle of the night just to see if he was doing okay.......

Yesterday they practiced his getting in and out of the car. They discovered he cannot ride in the front seat. He cannot bend his knee so he has to lie down in the back seat.

We found out the patella in his left knee was torn pretty badly so apparently the doctor wired the ends back to the kneecap and tibia. He is restricted on the range of motion in that knee for at least 6 more weeks. He also has lots of stinging in his foot and toes from the nerves rebuilding and refiring. They've just given him some different meds to relieve the pain for that and it seems to be helping.

He has a long, long way to go but this is a good step along the way.

Thanks to all those who showed interest and concern for his situation. I'll probably not do any more updates unless something more noteworthy comes along..........and knowing him that is very possible much sooner than later.

Last edited by jppe; 01-04-09 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-03-09, 06:02 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
GREAT NEWS!!

Thanks for sharing
Old 01-03-09, 06:10 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good for him getting home. It looks as if he has a long way to go yet. Hang in there for him on the days when others' may be going on with their own lives. Please let us know when he gets back on the bike.
Old 01-03-09, 07:09 PM

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot U08, unknown MTB circa 1980, '93? Merckx MX-Leader

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jppe,

Great news about your bud. DO KEEP US UPDATED. Several of us on this Board are nursing broken bones and are atuned to the healing process. Though "enjoying" your reports is not the wording, we find them interesting and with your friend's attitude, uplifting.

Setbacks are an unfortunate part of the process. I had one a couple of weeks ago when I completely ripped apart a lesser bicep tendon in the injured shoulder. It was frustrating because for the previous ten weeks I had been a model patient, working the right amount of therapy and rest. Nonetheless, I rode the first time New Years Day 7 miles. 31 today. I'm dead.

Very cool that your bike group rearranged the house! My bike friends do that, too! But doing it on purpose is probably better! LOL

In you, your friend has a friend, indeed.

TysonB
Old 01-03-09, 08:03 PM
Semper Fidelis

Bikes: Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
glad to hear he is going home,recovery should be faster in his own enviroment
Old 01-03-09, 09:07 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great news!! Please do keep us posted on your friend's progress. He must be very relieved to be home where he can get a rest from the middle-of-the-night interruptions.
Old 01-03-09, 09:13 PM

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
Fantastic. Please let him know that he and his family remain in our prayers. We want to hear when he makes it back on the bike in '09. Thanks for keeping us apprised.

Steve
Old 01-03-09, 09:14 PM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
That's great news! I can tell you're as happy as he.

I love that the club gave up their ride to help him out. Nothing says camaraderie and friendship like coming together to help a friend in need.
Old 01-03-09, 10:49 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hooooooray!!!!!
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades