User Tag List

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cross Country Skiing

How many of you cross country ski in the winter and how much does it help your cycling fitness? Just asking as I have my first cross county ski session today.
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howsteepisit View Post
    How many of you cross country ski in the winter and how much does it help your cycling fitness? Just asking as I have my first cross county ski session today.
    Very, very recreational - just a couple of times per year on groomed trails in the mtns. Not enough to build fitness. If we actually had more snow in Denver, I could ski here, but our little amount of snow hardly ever stays long - sun melts it!
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I XC skate quite often in winter. Wonderful excercise but very taxing on +50 body. Did a 20 km today with 1200 feet elevation, it really gets your system going. It is nice to give the upper part of the body a workout as well. There is so little snow now here in Oslo that I probably will ride my rigid steel Mtb
    in the deserted remains of skitracks tomorrow. That is really fun.

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I have not cross country skiid for some time since I now live in Central FL. However, when I lived in MI, I biked even in cold weather. When it got too cold for that, I switched to cross country skiing. Cross country skiing is a blast. It is pretty similar to cycling. I did mine in cold weather cycling gear and that worked well even in very cold weather. I generated a bunch of heat so I was comfortable as long as I kept moving.

Physically it is pretty similar to cycling. I found that the muscles in my groin area were a bit tender. They get a work out cross country skiing and not in cycling. It took a few sessions to get them toned up. I did not use groomed trails much. I skiid woods, marshes, frozen farmland etc.

I read a book years back. It talked about the emotional aspects of various kinds of exercise. Cross Country Skiing and Cycling are very similar in emotional payoffs. So if you like one, you should like the other.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm an alpine ski patroller and only get to the nordic trails occasionally, but under the right weather conditions a day in the winter wilderness can be about as good as it gets. Full body and aerobic workout.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So how did it go with the skiing? The bride & I are considering renting snow shoes this season to take advantage of our generous snowfall.

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cross Coutry was a blast. WHen you are going right its smooth and mellow, breathing hard but not gsping for breath. I like it much better than snowshoes. But my hip flexors are crying a bit tonight.

Looks like I will need to biy some more outdoor gear shortly...I will keep up with cross country I think.
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love Cross country skiing and think it's an excellent off-season exercise for cyclists. It's wonderful aerobically as well as working many of the same muscle groups and more.

It's also just such a blast to be out in the winter feeling remarkably warm and gliding along in the stillness and quiet of winter.

Such a plus. If you have the time and a place to do it go for it. Even if it weren't good for cycling I'd want to do it.

My Bikes
    '06 Trek Pilot 5.2 SPA, '07 BikesDirect frame build, '10 GF Wahoo disc
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cross Coutry was a blast. WHen you are going right its smooth and mellow, breathing hard but not gsping for breath. But my hip flexors are crying a bit tonight.
    ^^^^^
    Thats why God made gravity, downhill skiis and Bridger Bowl....

BBSB* 7 seasons 1968-1978

* = Bridger Bowl Ski Bum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cross-country ski. Started this year after coming off the downhill slopes. I love it! Did snow-shoeing before but XC skiing is much more fun for me. Montana, where you are, is XC and skiing heaven, I reckon. (I was born in MT and have spent a lot of time there even after moving away.)

I know what you mean about buying the new equipment. I bought starter gear (track skis) and am already looking at the next step up (metal-edged touring skis). Ah, another recreational activity! Well, there are other, less rational pursuits, e.g. collecting old Delorean auto parts.

My Bikes
    Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, some of my best memories are of XC-skiing in north central PA. We would throw on the backpack and skiis, climb the logging trails and skii for hours until it was time to turn back and begin the decent - the exciting part. This is a great aerobic workout and will give both an upper and lower body workout. You set the workout depending on the terraine and pace you want to keep. Be sure to dress in layers since you will get warm very fast. The equipment has changed alot since I've last skied, but waxing was the way to go.

Living in FL, we now have year round cycling, but I do honestly miss the XC-skiing.

My Bikes
    '03 Trek 7500, '08 Madone 4.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love to ski and it is a fantastic exercise. Wish we had more snow around here - headed up to Door County this weekend to check out some trails there.

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I lived in Glenwood Springs, CO, from '75-'79. I eschewed downhill skiing and embraced x-c wholeheartedly (I rode my bike and a horse when I couldn't ski). I loved being away from the crowds, visiting my favorite summer haunts in winter and observing the differences, and having an outlet for my 20-something energy besides swimming laps in the hot springs pool. I distinctly remember learning to telemark; it gave me a lot more freedom in where I skied.

My biggest hurdle was figuring out what wax to use. I was wrong more often than I was right. And it really didn't matter in the long run.

X-C skiing was terrific exercise, and great fun, and I miss it, although opportunities to ski are within a few hours' drive. It was easier when I lived in the environment.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.