Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: a new toy :)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a new toy :)

on December 25 I purchased a used "on-one" single speed mountain bike from a friend of mine. I have now ridden it three times... progressively longer rides, and doing more technical stuff...as much as can be done on Difficult Run in Reston, VA. I find the bike to be more responsive and I am more comfortable going over small logs than on the geared mountain bike, which I will probably get rid of in the next 6 months or so. The gearing on this bike is 32 x 16, and it works for all the smallish hills around here. Sort of like my fixie, this bike is a lot of FUN. Just got back from a 20 miler--and the mud was gooey, not frozen like 2 days ago-- the bike is filthy, but it was loads of fun. Now I have to go turn on the outside water so I can hose the bike off before putting it away-- given we expect the temperatures to drop below freezing tonight...

I guess I can say that riding this bike makes me feel like a kid again...

train safe

My Bikes
    Cannondale R700 USA Ed. & Motobecane Century Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Riding any bike makes me feel like a kid again. "I ride my bike to ride my bike!" But this tread needs photos, before or after it's bath, more photos!

Ride On!
    -Spoke
    "On the road again, I can't wait to get on the road again!" -Willie

surfrider
    Assuming its not a home-conversion, what make and model of bike is it? I've got (what I'll call) a single speed road bike (Surly Steamroller) that I love riding for weekday workout rides. SS makes for simplicity, ease of maintenance, and lots of riding in the right circumstances.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Single speed, either freewheeling or fixed, is simply not my thing, but I like any bike which gets ridden a lot.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked my single speed so much I turned it onto a fixed gear bike! Not that I would try fixed gear off road . . . but single speed, yes.

Even my wife, who is not that mechaically experimental, loves her single speed. Didn't think she would, I just built it up for her for fun; but it's really worked out well for her and she loves it!

Rick / OCRR