Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Freezing rain, sleet, snow - time to harden up

They're calling for all of the frozen varieties of rain tomorrow (though they are never right). A coworker has expressed doubts about my resolve. It's time to try out my studded tires, fenders, Lake boots, showers pass jacket, cross bike, Bionx kit, and resolve.
    I've postponed my car service / state inspection appointment because I can't pass this opportunity up.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't forget a first aid kit and ice packs.

tsl
    My Bikes
    '96 Litespeed Classic, '06 Trek Portland, '13 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When it's like that around here, they just say the hell with it and call it "Wintry mix". Sounds nice, like Chex Mix (or Daiquiri Mix) doesn't it?
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mmmm. Daiquiri mix.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're all anxious to know how the ride turns out. Will you be able to log on from the ER?

My Bikes
    05 Trek 5200, 07 Trek 520, 99 GT Karakoram, 08 Surly 1X1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robtown View Post
    They're calling for all of the frozen varieties of rain tomorrow (though they are never right). A coworker has expressed doubts about my resolve. It's time to try out my studded tires, fenders, Lake boots, showers pass jacket, cross bike, Bionx kit, and resolve.
    I've postponed my car service / state inspection appointment because I can't pass this opportunity up.
    That’s the spirit!
    A lone rider covered in furs and armor traverses the frozen tundra on his Bionx warhorse.
    Don the horned helmet!
    Blow the Lur’ warrior horn!
    Dare to ride where none before have gone!

(Did someone mention Daiquiri's ?)
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    - Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robtown View Post
    That sounds like my first century (Solvang, March '06), and we had thunder and lightning as well. The first 35 miles were very dicey.

Your equipment reminds me of a phrase cgallagh uses: Loaded for bear. I hope the weather is as fierce as you describe so you don't wast any of that resolve.

Better you than me. It drizzled today and I spun to coach Troy. Greetings from Wussyville, CA...
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    That sounds like my first century (Solvang, March '06), and we had thunder and lightning as well. The first 35 miles were very dicey.
    I remember that Solvang Century!

My wife and I rolled out of the Lompoc checkpoint looking down the road into absolute blackness. I've never seen the sky so dark at 8:30 AM (approx.). Then we got hail, rain, and very slippery roads.

Fortunately I was on my touring bike (with fenders!), had my rain jacket, etc. so I was okay. Lots of folks weren't okay. Those rides that are very difficult at the moment make the best stories later on!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No ice on my late morning commute but some cold rain. The showers pass jacket, lake boots, and custom rain pants did a good job. I'm glad for the Bionx help pushing the studded tires - my energy levels are at a seasonal low.

The temps are just at 32 throughout the area at 6pm and heavier rain is returning. I don't leave until about 8:30pm.
    Korval is Ships

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll pray for you

HI,
    I am saying a little prayer for you, You'll be fine,,,
    I hate that ICe stuff, I was ridding last week and it was cool but didn't seem freezing,
    and this patch of road where ther wind wipped down a long strech of road had a small patch of black ICe it felt weird as I crossed it I was afraid to pedal or move to prevent any lateral motion due to lack of traction on my 120 psi clinchers..
    Doug

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very wet snow and a bit of sleet on the way home. The road surface wasn't icey. Some patches of fog. The gear did well but I didn't arrive home dry.
    Korval is Ships

My Bikes
    Too many
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We will be putting on the water wings for tomorrow's ride. 120mm rain predicted tonight.
    VeloWeb | VeloWebLog

"The bicycle is the noblest invention of mankind." ~William Saroyan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last 3 winters I've hit the road at least once each year due to black ice. Fortunately, no major damage. Some really cool colors from the bruises though.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."