Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone try specialized Armadillos

It is about time to get some now tires and I am thnking about some specialized Armadillos. I have read some good things about them but wanted some input from other 50+ riders before I drop the hammer.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In what way are your armadillos specialized? Do they squirt poison? Have big nasty teeth?

Oh, you are referring to the bike tires. I've never used them on a bike that I own, but I have taken test rides on a few bikes with them. I found them to give a harsher ride than other tires, significantly more road vibration into my hands. I know they are very flat resistant, but I would never use them because I hate harsh rides. YMMV.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used 'em and liked 'em. But I think there are comparable tires. Gatorskins come to mind. I'm sure there are others. Being a tightwad, I would pick the one on sale.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Armadillos sacrifice nearly everything else in favor of better puncture protection. If you have been frustrated by frequent punctures, Armadillos may be a good choice for you.

My Bikes
    Novarro Big Buzz
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found the Gatorskins a little faster

Averaged almost 1 mph faster when I replaced the Armadillos with Gatorskins (15.8 mph vs. 16.6 mph). Had 2 flats in 1478 miles with the Armadillos, no flats in 1353 miles on the Gatorskins.

Of course, the Michelin Pro 3s are even faster (17.6 mph) and no flats (yet) in 350 miles -- but they're expensive!

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to use Armadillos but found Gatorskins easier to mount. I have enjoyed the ride and performance of Gatorskins for commuting and have not switched back.

The Continental 4 Seasons is lighter than the Gatorskins and is supposed almost as puncture resistant; I like those as well.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I am in luck then. I have a friend that has a set of Armadillos that he doesn't care for. One of the reasons was as someone else posted, speed. I can try the Armadillos and see if they work for me and then make up my mind if they would work. I plan on getting new tires before February and figured some in here had tried these tires. I have even considered slicks but I have read the cut easily.

My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At age 60+, I want a nice smooth riding tire. I'll give up the puncture resistant thing for performance. But that's me.

There have been times when I stopped to help riders with flats. I gotta say those Armadillos and those tires with that extra liner for puncture resistance, really made changing tubes a royal pain.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about longevity? My OEM tires roll well but they show a lot of wear for 1400 miles. I have only had three flats but they all have come from goat heads. But I can get three sets of the OEMs for the price on one set of Armadillos.

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pasela TourGuards also have a good reputation for puncture resistance. They are $25 each; I recently found them somewhere (I forget where) for $20 each and bought a pair. That's about half the price of Armadillos.

I have only ridden a few miles on them but so far so good.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't tried many tires but I like my Armadillos. Subjectively, they seem to soften up and ride a little better after the first 1000 miles or so. No flats. Bontragger Race Lite Hardcase is another option.

Edit: I must admit that 1 MPH gained from Gatorskins is darn tempting. Anyone else vouch for that kind of speed difference?
    Last edited by billydonn; 01-06-09 at 07:14 PM.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    1961 Follis Road Bike, 1992 Specialized Allez, 2008 Specialized Roubix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, once I've been on my bike for a few minutes, I can't tell any difference between my Specialized Roubiax Pros and my Armadillos, except the armadillos don't flat and on occasion, the Roubaix tires do.
    This post is a natural product. Slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects.

Icyclist, the blog considered too areodite for bikeforums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bontragger Race Lite Hardcase

HI,
    Just put the (Bontragger Race Lite Hardcase ), on my bike they seem roll better and faster than my last set, they also resist pinch flats, beings I ride alot around town alot abd they also have a few layer of the kelvar belts.
    Doug

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 for Gatorskins ...

I was using Bontrager HardCase(s) ... all the comfort of the original wooden wheel ... fairly flat resistant but when I did have a flat ... it was like wrestling ... well ... an armadillo I guess.

Switched to the Gatorskins and ... easier to change ... much more comfortable ... and probably ~+1 mph

No experience with specialized Armadillos ...

My Bikes
    Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
    Bontragger Race Lite Hardcase is another option.
    To do what?

I got these standard on my Trek520. Sure, they wear well, but don't like glass (get cut up really easily), puncture so easily I was forced to go to tyre liners and are very unsteady on loose surfaces. I took mine off after the rear threw a lump of tread the size of my thumb nail - I don't know what caused it but considering the way those things like to get cut up by glass, I'm betting that's what started it.

In comparison, I replaced the Bontrager's with Vittoria Randonneurs - instantly more stable (especially on gravel but anything not sticky bitumen), instantly more grip, no sign of glass damage after 1,000km of commuting (no flats either as I've just realised) and faster to boot (something I still don't understand) ... not to mention more comfortable but they are a lower pressure tyre so that's an unfair comparison.

Richard
    I had a good bike ... so I FIXED it

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a pair of Armadillos, barely used, that I'm trying to sell and I was going to offer them to you but I see your friend has some. Mine are skinnier than you might like too (23mm). As others mentioned, they gave a harsh ride but mainly I don't need a tire that skinny.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Zebrano
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I weigh 220 Lbs and ride for fitness and recreation (not a racer). Armadillos have worked just fine for me.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    Pasela TourGuards also have a good reputation for puncture resistance. They are $25 each; I recently found them somewhere (I forget where) for $20 each and bought a pair. That's about half the price of Armadillos.

I have only ridden a few miles on them but so far so good.
    I have ridden Pasela Tour Guards for several years on a few bikes. I switched from Armadillos and couldn't believe how much lighter and more compliant the Paselas were. I have them on two bikes now in 28mm and 35mm widths.

Watch Nashbar for frequent sales (but not right now ) Be sure to get the folding type.
    Last edited by BluesDawg; 01-06-09 at 08:16 PM.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    1969 Peugeot U08, unknown MTB circa 1980, '93? Merckx MX-Leader
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Armadillo's are tough and as flat proof as a skinny bike tire can reasonably be. They are moderately pricey, but wear a long time.

But, they are harsh. I couldn't wait to wear mine out. Took them off after a 1000 miles and have riden "racier" tires ever since with satisfaction.

I'd rather have flats than to ride Armadillos again.

That's just me.

TysonB
    Last edited by TysonB; 01-07-09 at 10:01 PM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought my Tourguards through Amazon; they're now $18.80 each. This is a screaming deal IMHO.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...guards&x=0&y=0

jcm
    Gemutlichkeit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Call me the Lone Rider. I have decided not to leave home without my Armadillos, except for on my Sequioa Elite, which have very light folding 23mm. Lots of flats, but light and fast. I have 23mm Arm'ys on one roadie, and had 28mm on a Trek 520 that I sold. On my roadified MTB/Tour conversions, it's 1.5" Army's or nothing. I find they are easy to mount and remove. I sold my Marathon Plus to a friend who loves them. I didn't like the wrestling match, even if it was seldom. The Bon Race Lites that were stock on my 520 were WWF Champions that eventually flaked away to the cloth.

The clincher: I'm an aggressive rider and I weight 250lbs and really punish the tires. Nothing has held up like Army's. I can run the front a bit low for more cush because of the strength of the sidewalls.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spent a few months on Armadillos and found them heavy, sluggish, and (as have others above) "harsh". I've ridden Pasela 32's and like them on crappy roads and urban streets for their ride and good flat resistance. Gatorskin 25's were OK-- not all that resistant to staples, radial wires, etc.

My all-around favorite have been Conti 25mm 4000's......resilient ride, relatively lightweight, damn few flats, and great wear so far. I'd rather get the occasional flat (a few minutes trouble) than have to ride on not-so-pleasing tires. But, individual needs and tastes dictate.
    The aging cyclist may not get faster-- but he does get slower at slowing down.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    I bought my Tourguards through Amazon; they're now $18.80 each. This is a screaming deal IMHO.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...guards&x=0&y=0
    Those are steel bead tires. Nashbar has the kevlar bead version for $25 now. They often have them for $20. Catch them at that price and a 15% off code and it's time to stock up.

You'll get more hits at Amazon if you search for "pasela tg".
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    I have a pair of Armadillos, barely used, that I'm trying to sell and I was going to offer them to you but I see your friend has some. Mine are skinnier than you might like too (23mm). As others mentioned, they gave a harsh ride but mainly I don't need a tire that skinny.
    Thanks ever so much. I use 23s now and they would have been fine. If for some reason I like them and my friend decides not to sell I will be in touch. But I am beginning to have second thoughts and am glad I can test ride a set before spending the money up front.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used them on all my bikes. I also like the Gatorskins, but seem to catch a few more flats with them. I have an Armadillo for a rear tire on my recumbent.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast