Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Waterford 1200, Raleigh Record converted to a single speed.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So THAT'S chipseal!

I visited my daughter in McComb, MS for a few days and got to ride. I went out on old hiway 24 and knew instantly what I had from descriptions on here. Nasty stuff. Then it smoothed out pretty nicely. I'm assuming it was a difference in age of the sealing.

Since it's 9 degrees here at home, it was delightful to be able to ride down there. It was rainy off and on while I was there so coming back from my ride I pulled onto an in-town divided 4 lane, hit wet oil and went down hard. You know how you hear about things going into slow motion? Yep! Half way down I remember thinking, "This is going to hurt!" My helmet hit hard and even while sliding on the pavement I may have even said out loud, "Good thing I had my helmet on!" Weird. There was a local cop getting gas right by there and saw me go down and came running. He thought the van behind me had hit me. He wanted to take me to the hospital when he saw the blood on my leg and finger and the big chunk of my helmet left behind on the pavement, but I just hurt. Road to my daughter's apartment, took a nice long HOT shower and lived on ibuprofin for a couple days.

Hey, at least I got to ride. The only damage to my bike was torn handlebar tape. Not bad.

Slow Moving Vehicle Jean Beetham Smith's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Felt F-70, Terry Madeleine, Novara Safari fully customized by me
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Time for a new helmet. The old one gets retired with honors. You can use it to hold your cycling gloves, as a hanging plant holder, put it under the front wheel when you are on your trainer; but if it left chunks on the highway it has done its job and you can't ask it to do it again.
    Help grow the future of cycling in the world. Volunteer at your local "earn-a-bike" program. In the Boston area http://www.bikesnotbombs.org/about

My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm riding a road bike and inflate the tires to 120 psi since I'm right around 220 lbs. Biggest problem I find with chipseal is that it can really trigger numbness in your hands just from the extra vibration. Sometimes the shoulder is better if they don't run the chipseal all the way over to the edge.
    Rick T
    --------
    Volagi - Triple"ized" and Tubeless
    daVinci Joint Venture

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whats Chipseal?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you got to ride and weren't injured seriously. It's kind of nice hearing about law enforcement officers running to the aid of a cyclist. +1 on retiring the helmet with honors and getting a new one.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, it's already been pitched. I can see where the chipseal would put your hands to sleep. This road I was on had no shoulder whatsoever. I'm glad it wasn't a very busy road. It was delightful just to ride. It was somewhere near 70 degrees while I was down there. Didn't see another cyclist at all. League of Bicyclists ranks MS at 49 on bicycle friendliness. I had very good encounters. The drivers were very polite on the road I was on.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been there, done that. I'm glad to hear you weren't hurt. Enjoy the new helmet
    George

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Whats Chipseal?
    Simulated mountain biking for roadies.........................except smoother.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chip seal, I know it well...

Chip seal, done correctly, is a good traction surface. It is a process used here in our mountains, Santa Cruz, to help extend the life of the existing road surface between more expensive resurfacing and overlaying applications. Our local county Public Works department uses it extensively.

The road during the chip seal process is no fun to ride on; it is basically riding through gravel and can be very scary. They lay down an oil screen on the existing asphalt and then spread a layer of rock/gravel over it and let the cars compact it and create the finished surface. It takes a number of weeks to develop into a good surface.

A couple of down sides to chip seal roads do exist. Even a completely “cured” chip seal road has a collection of loose gravel at the edge of the road and often times even near the center of the road. The gravel at the edge of the road can easily become a permanent part of road experience. Another down side, it does little for existing asphalt irregularities. Another minor down side, it is hard on tires for it creates a more textured surface than an asphalt over lay or resurface.

The worst scenario in our mountains is when you have been on a stretch of road a bazillion times and you hit that fast down hill again and you realize the road crew has just patched pot holes with the chip seal method, that is nasty. It is like dodging gravel mines. On a fast down hill your heart jumps up into your throat when you round a corner and see the dreaded diamond shaped orange sign on a barricade that reads, "LOOSE GRAVEL".
    Last edited by con; 01-08-09 at 02:44 PM.

My Bikes
    80's Schwinn Sierra MTB* 07 Jamis Ventura Comp* 09 Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They use a chip seal product as road patch here on the asphalt and concrete roads, oh is that fun to hit when its fresh , they mound it in the potholes (thump! thump!) but the cool part is they spray it out of a road patcher machine from 2-3 feet above the damaged pavement, throwing loose gravel all over the otherwise smooth road giving the cars something to fling into each others windshields and of course into the face of any cyclist lucky enough to be around so its not only lumpy, sticky and loose on the road, its shrapnel!!! What a wonderful way to spend my tax dollars
    I don't mind chipseal roads (the county uses chipseal) they are a bit rough but not as bad as dirt, I just don't like the land mine approach of the pothole patrol...
    D.
    RYT200
    '86 Scwinn Sierra ATB '07 Jamis Ventura Comp '08 Bianchi Castro Valley '09 Fuji Nevada 3.0

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing we have an advantage on you with.

Roads are Re-made with a surface of tar and gravel but Hot tar and the gravel is only about 1/2" across. Then it is rollered into the hot gravel and then a couple of hours later and a road sweeper will pick up the excess. Most of our roads have Kerbs on them so not much loose gravel on the edges. Where the roads have no edge- then a layer of TarMcAdam is laid and as this is grit and tar then no loose stuff. Only problem we have is that in hot weather- Surplus tar will ooze to the top of the gravel and it is literraly like riding on Tar.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chip seal, Felton Empire Road

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two responses to the chipseal I encountered last season:

1. cursing
    2. 28c tires

My Bikes
    09 Specialized Sirrus Expert; 09 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by one_beatnik View Post
    Yeah, it's already been pitched. I can see where the chipseal would put your hands to sleep. This road I was on had no shoulder whatsoever. I'm glad it wasn't a very busy road. It was delightful just to ride. It was somewhere near 70 degrees while I was down there. Didn't see another cyclist at all. League of Bicyclists ranks MS at 49 on bicycle friendliness. I had very good encounters. The drivers were very polite on the road I was on.

I am guessing Arkansas ranks #50 behind MS. We deal with some real jackasses around here.

Bikes: 09 Specialized Roubaix Expert; 09 Specialized Sirrus Expert Hybrid; '13 Jamis Quest

Old Fart Cycling Club "Age and Treachery will always triumph Youth and Agility"

June 2012 weight 265
    Current weight 09/01/12 239

http://tickers.myfitnesspal.com/tick...0/25442200.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

http://pedalmybike.com/userTrackies/myTrackie3723.jpg

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was somewhere near 70 degrees while I was down there. .
    Glad you came out OK. I was grimacing and wincing as I read your description of sliding down the road and banging your head and than I felt even worse (for us in the moderately cold American Heartland) when I read it was 70 degrees!

Warm rides are hard to come by this time of year.........

S E Michigan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yappers they use tons a the stuff here in Michigan .Right now the pot holes are big enough to swallow a bike and person whole . They will patch them in Aprial MAYBE atleast you guys got patched holes

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've ridden a lot of miles of chipseal in WA and OR and from my experience there, the older it is, the better.

Good to hear you survived your crash so well! I usually end up in the hospital. Yes, a helmet is essential!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    in my sig line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They lay down an oil screen on the existing asphalt and then spread a layer of rock/gravel over it and let the cars compact it and create the finished surface. It takes a number of weeks to develop into a good surface.
    Most of the chip sealing done in California consists of:
    1. Sweep the road surface.
    2. Spread the "oil"--usually a polymer-modified cationic emulsion.
    3. Spread the chips.
    4. Compact with rollers.
    5. Send the brooms over it again.

Condorita, paving industry professional (driving the oil truck, to "boost" the spreader)
    That which does not kill me has made a massive tactical blunder.
    Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen. Louis L'Amour
    '07 Giant Cypress WSD "Radagast the Beige-and-Black" * '97 (?) Bianchi Premio "Orion" * '09 Trek Allant "The Black Pearl"

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    I have two responses to the chipseal I encountered last season:

1. cursing
    2. 28c tires
    3. steel

We call it "shake 'n bake around here. Nobody likes it, but people on aluminum bikes seem to hate it the most.
    A long ride with out a few miles of shake 'n bake almost seems like cheating.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear you survived the fall. One question: Did you hold on the the handle bar while falling and sliding on the road?
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grr.... Chipseal! Around here, they use it instead of repairing the roads. With time, the expansion joints get deeper as the chip seal builds up everywhere BUT. It camouflages pot holes pretty well, too. They don't press it or sweep it, so painting lane lines less than a month after doing it would be physically impossible.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you hold on the the handle bar while falling and sliding on the road?
    That part I don't remember. I don't think so since my bar/stem had twisted 90 degrees. I was able to straighten it and ride on. I had the presence of mind to clip out and NOT put my foot down.(Can you say twisted knee?!!?) The weirdest injury is the back side of my knee. I have a couple scrapes there and I can't for the life of me figure out how. There's a 6 " raspberry on my hip, one on my shoulder, small one on my elbow, a cut on my index finger on the opposite hand and then the road rash front and back on my knee.

I probably should have made this 2 threads given my thread title.

3. steel
    YEP! but 23C tires.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am guessing Arkansas ranks #50 behind MS. We deal with some real jackasses around here.
    Part of those rankings is also bike friendly legislation. I had very polite riders. There was one guy that honked a bunch as he came up behind me so gave him the biggest grin I could and waved at him like he was a long lost friend. I don't know why he was honking. It was a flat section with no cars coming at all.
    Last edited by one_beatnik; 01-08-09 at 08:16 PM. Reason: correct spelling for clarity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Y I'm glad it wasn't a very busy road. It was delightful just to ride. It was somewhere near 70 degrees while I was down there. Didn't see another cyclist at all. League of Bicyclists ranks MS at 49 on bicycle friendliness. I had very good encounters. The drivers were very polite on the road I was on.
    I rode in MS in Oct. when visiting family. Rode a mup into Hattiesburg, and did some road riding in the Greenwood area. I actually hooked up with some locals for a group ride one evening out of Greenwood. Great guys, but not a lot of them. As with you, weather was great. Glad to hear you're OK.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

jcm
    Gemutlichkeit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here in Washington State, chipseal has basically two forms: 1)the crushed rock surface over the asphalt oil base, or 2) the pea-gravel type. The latter is very much preferred by me. When I know I'll be on the former type, I reduce pressure in the front tire to give a bit of cush. The route along the Skagit River from Sedro Wooley to Concrete is pretty cobby, being 1/2" crush, rather than 1/4" pea. Same with the new job they just did on Lopez Island a couple years ago. I think it depends on budget. Pea gravel is alot more money than crush.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast