Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dirty. Dirtier. Dirtiest.

2009 so far: 220 miles, rain every day, a bit of snow and slush. All of the bikes were cleaned last Sunday. Here's their status Saturday night:

Dirty: 2 rides.

Dirtier: 1 week of commuting.

Dirtiest: 1 40-mile training ride yesterday with the bike club.

flip side...

Clean: hasn't left the garage since November...

Last edited by BengeBoy; 01-11-09 at 11:42 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was worried at the start of your post the the Tommasini was going to appear as one of the dirty, dirtier, dirtiest. Whew...
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think yourself lucky that you do not have a white bike.

No pics- but only did 20 miles today and it looks like your 40 miler bike- Only worse as I can see ALL of the dirt.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post

No pics- but only did 20 miles today and it looks like your 40 miler bike- Only worse as I can see ALL of the dirt.
    Rides like this always get me thinking about N+1.

I would like to ride something light- and fast on winter weekends; the commuter bikes seem too slow for a group ride. Most of the serious riders yesterday had real Seattle rain bikes -- cyclocross bikes, old Klein aluminum road bikes, older steel race bikes (like a Lemond), Surly Crosschecks, Surly LHT -- all fitted with permanent fenders.

If I take my commuter bike out, I don't think I could hang on a group ride (too heavy). But if I take my good bike out it gets pretty filthy....the only real damage I think I am doing is to the rims (road grit in the winter gets driven into the rims under braking).

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    Rides like this always get me thinking about N+1.

I would like to ride something light- and fast on winter weekends; the commuter bikes seem too slow for a group ride. Most of the serious riders yesterday had real Seattle rain bikes -- cyclocross bikes, old Klein aluminum road bikes, older steel race bikes (like a Lemond), Surly Crosschecks, Surly LHT -- all fitted with permanent fenders.

If I take my commuter bike out, I don't think I could hang on a group ride (too heavy). But if I take my good bike out it gets pretty filthy....the only real damage I think I am doing is to the rims (road grit in the winter gets driven into the rims under braking).
    Funnily enough- this is why I got the TCR. I wanted a winter bike that could take the dirt and grime- instead of wearing out Boreas. Just why did I get that model of TCR? White is not the ideal colour at any time of the year.

And the other thing I sorted at the same time was wheels. I am not a great fan of OM wheels- so I got a set of Mavic Aksiums on the TCR. Compared to my other wheels- they are heavy and -Dare I say it- Sluggish. But they do have a definite advantage. Sealed bearings- thicker walls to the rims and they are indestructable. As a wheel- there are better around and there are cheaper but so far these wheels have proved invaluable.

The TCR has been my main ride since about November but I did ride Boreas just before christmas. It was not long before I realised how good a ride this bike gives. Well worth keeping in good condition for as long as possible.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what did your clothes look like after the club ride??? Did you have to change outside??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    I was worried at the start of your post the the Tommasini was going to appear as one of the dirty, dirtier, dirtiest. Whew...
    Yup, that 'Sini is a real sweetie. Don't know which is worse, ridin' it in the winter sludge - or not ridin' it.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I ride the rail trail by my house when it is damp, my bikes get extremely dirty. The rear cassette cogs get almost filled up with dirt on one ride. The trail is still not firmly packed down from use. Since it is a sandy, gritty dirt, I worry about damage to the bike.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    So what did your clothes look like after the club ride??? Did you have to change outside??
    Clothes weren't too bad; I changed before I came home. It appears to me that the Race Blade fenders I was using did a good job keeping water off me and keeping spray off the rider behind me but they certainly don't keep crap off the bike the way "real" fenders do. Notice the photo of the pink bike with the full Honjos? I did another 15 miles on it today (wet roads, light drizzle) and there still isn't much dirt on that bike.

Maybe I should just "fender up" my Davidson every winter...

FYI, the bikes are all clean now. Cleaned, lubed, wiped, tuned, ready for a week of commuting.