Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pics from today's Polar Bear

There were two annual organized rides in the area this weekend-both sponsored by local bike clubs and called Polar Bears. The first one was a metric century that drew at least 400-500 riders-maybe even 600. It was a sunny day with good temps in the low 50's but a pretty good headwind for the last 20+ miles which was tough for me. I rode over to the event on my bike so I was able to get in around 80 miles.

Today was another Polar Bear ride sponsored by a different bike club and it had a nice turnout of probably 150 riders. It was a tad warmer but cloudy and thankfully not nearly as much breeze. It was a great day to ride and today's distance was 50 miles with only 1900 ft of climbing-a very flat and fast course. I settled into a group of around 20 riders and we averaged 21 mph for the day. I give a lot of credit to the R4 recovery drink allowing me ride that well the day after a longer ride.

Here are a few pictures from today's ride-this particular area is southwest of Charlotte about 20 miles.

This is me. I had not planned to ride too hard but after a mile or so I decided to try and catch some riders up the road. I'm just about on after time trialing for a few miles. The riding easy plan went out the window pretty quickly.......there's just something about seeing other riders up the road......

This is the first of what would become about 20-25 riders and the folks I was initally trying to catch. I eventually towed them up to the next group.

Here some photos of what it looked like a little later as we got more organized-but these pics were taken in stretches where we eased up for a bit and were able to take some pics. We did a number of miles in both single and double pace lines.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great average speed. When I read the title, I visualized guys jumping in cold water.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    Great average speed. When I read the title, I visualized guys jumping in cold water.
    Looks like a great ride!

I was thinking more along the lines of this local ride.....

Queen City Bike Polar Bear Ride - January 3, 2009 @ 10:30 AM

One loop around the Winton Woods Bike Trail (approximately 2 miles) wearing the minimum amount of clothing that is legally allowed; shorts for guys, shorts and sports bra for gals. Gloves and booties will be permitted, and a helmet is required. Weather will NOT cancel this ride! Meet in the main parking lot by the Harbor...
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on a good average speed. You do know, of course that a polar bear would find temperatures in the 50s to be a tad on the warm side. I was hoping for a 40 mile ride this weekend, but we got hit with snow (not much) followed by freezing rain that put about and inch of ice over everything. My studded tires have yet to arrive. So, I stayed indoors on the trainer. BTW, I always enjoy the photos!
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    You do know, of course that a polar bear would find temperatures in the 50s to be a tad on the warm side.
    I would totally agree. However it looks like if the rides were held this upcoming weekend we could very well be starting out in the teens.......much more Polar like. Such is weather in the Carolinas.
    Last edited by RonH; 01-12-09 at 02:55 PM.