User Tag List

Thread: N-1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

N-1

That's it... down to two.
    The LeMond went off to a new happy home today.
    I spent all day yesterday cleaning it, oiling it up... took it for last "installation lap".
    t didn't even really feel like my bike anymore. Guess that ship has sailed.

The young man showed up today and when I took the bike out for him to inspect, his eyes got all big
    "It's.. it's beautiful!", he said. So, I asked hime if he wanted to take it for a little spin around in front of the house and the smile he had on his face... the sheer joy as he round it around (and *jumped* on it) reminded me of someone I know. Me. I had that smile the first time I rode it. I was feeling better about the sale. I told him to take it on down the hill and back up sop he could feel how it handled and how it climbed. He was a lot faster than I'll ever be again. His face looked like it was going to crack open any second now.

So, we talked about it for a bit. He admired it, the color (it really is an awfully pretty shade of blue and the livery is so clean) the shape of the tubing. And then he started peeling off the fifties. And that was it, it was gone. It belonged to another now. I'm a bit sad but I'm glad it went to a good home. Now I'm down to a steelie and a carbon.

One thing, though... the two bikes I bought from a bike shop that I despise are out of life.
    That's a good thing. Having room in the garage to walk around is good, too.
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SACRILEGE!!!

Stone him!
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now you have some money to put into a new bike! Or some upgrades for the two you have.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai View Post
    So, we talked about it for a bit. He admired it, the color (it really is an awfully pretty shade of blue and the livery is so clean) the shape of the tubing. And then he started peeling off the fifties. And that was it, it was gone. It belonged to another now. I'm a bit sad but I'm glad it went to a good home.
    Aye, it belongs to another now, but the memories you have will always belong to you!
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    Too many to list, all vintage
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That's it... down to two.
    The LeMond went off to a new happy home today.

Having room in the garage to walk around is good, too.
    Garage full? Sounds like justification to build a workshop!!!

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen that grin on several new owners of bikes I work on - it is priceless.

"despise" a bike - two bikes? I guess I don't know the back story.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sai KaiTai,
    It sounds like you made one young man very happy with his purchase of you Le Mond. Any plans to add to your stable now or just do some upgrades to your bikes?

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    Aye, it belongs to another now, but the memories you have will always belong to you!
    And what memories they are, too. My first road bike in over 20 years. I remember the first test ride so well. And all the miles I put on it! This bike really revealed to me the rider I could be.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    SACRILEGE!!!

Stone him!
    Yeah, yeah... I know. Reality bites, as they say.

Quote Originally Posted by robtown View Post
    "despise" a bike - two bikes? I guess I don't know the back story.
    Not the bikes; the shop I bought them from. A small local chain who embodies all the bad things you hear about bike shops: arrogant, lack of concern for the customer, too busy trying to be ultra-hip and cutting edge. When I bought the Kaitai, little did I know my sales guy was the only person they had who gave a hoot. Subsequent visits and dealings with a couple of their other locations and staff members were not as joyful. I had wheel work done -well, not done- by them and they returned my wheel to me in pieces but they lost my wheel magnet. I had to threaten them with a small claims action to get that replaced. This was just the proverbial straw... the place really sucks. Now, I only deal with small, hungry shops where business really means something to them. Dang... see, you got me all started here.

Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    Sai KaiTai,
    It sounds like you made one young man very happy with his purchase of you Le Mond. Any plans to add to your stable now or just do some upgrades to your bikes?

Bill
    No... no new bikes. This is not N-1 to make room for N+1, this is N-1 to get down to 2 bikes. The two I have now cover what I want from a bike. And it's really nice to be able to walk around the garage and open my car doors again. No, I've gone through the whole N+1 thing with my guitars, I don't need -or want- to go down that road again.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^^yeah, right^^^^

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No... no new bikes. This is not N-1 to make room for N+1, this is N-1 to get down to 2 bikes. The two I have now cover what I want from a bike. And it's really nice to be able to walk around the garage and open my car doors again. No, I've gone through the whole N+1 thing with my guitars, I don't need -or want- to go down that road again.[/QUOTE]

Trust me...........that too will run it's course. Until you land a Pinarella Prince.........

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off-Road!
    Off-Road!
    Off-Road!

You must now cultivate a desire to ride trails.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I'll concede that there might be a new bike in my future but I'll still 2 bikes.
    They'll just be different from the two I have now.

And I'd about guarantee that one of 'em won't be a Pinarello.
    They just don't excite me. Orbea? Sure. Cervelo? maybe. I could think of others but not a Pinarello.

Now... off-road? I just unloaded a Kaitai which was a fine off-road bike. I'm not an "of-road" guy.
    Packed dirt, gravel, fire-roads (right... never been on one) is as off the road as I get and my Jamis with it's nice 32's and CX frame cover that well enough for me.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now... off-road? I just unloaded a Kaitai which was a fine off-road bike. I'm not an "of-road" guy.
    Not to knock what is I'm sure a perfectly nice bike, but the Katai is by no stretch of the imagination a "fine off-road bike". It is not an offroad bike at all. It is a hybrid with more capability than most of venturing off the pavement into some mild offroad situations. But it is not an offroad bike and riding it has not given you a real taste of what mountain biking is like.

But if say you aren't an "off-road" guy, then you aren't. We all know what appeals to us and what doesn't. At least for now.

I'd lay good money that your "N" value will not be 2 forever. Maybe for a while, but forever is a long time and there are so many kinds of bikes to ride in so many ways.
    Last edited by BluesDawg; 01-14-09 at 06:19 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a very small house and one big rule: The cars park in the garage.
    And I'm onboard with that.
    Not only are these the words of "she, who must be obeyed" but -truth is- we live in a marine environment.
    Cars left outside don't last. Imagine driving on salted roads, year round.
    Something like that.

Besides, seriously, all my life I've been a road rider (OK, when I was -you know- 10, I would take my stingray anywhere even if it meant walking. I rode that bike a lot of places it wasn't meant to go) and it took 1 year with the Kaitai and 20 minutes on the LeMond to know I am still a roadie.
    For me, 30 minutes on asphalt is better than an hour on a trail.

And, granted, no, the Kaitai was not really an off-road bike but not by as much as you think.
    The frame is pure 29'er. The front shocks were passable, as were the Avid BB-5 disks.
    Wheels and tires were not off-road.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can understand that if one is going to ride only roads, that 2 (or even 1) bikes would be sufficient. Many serious riders make do with 1 or 2 bikes for decades. And it sounds like you have two fine steeds.

lube addict
    My Bikes
    Specialized FSR-XC, Optima Baron, Bianchi Pista, Strida 5.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you really love something, let it go. Hopefully the fifties that were peeled off provided some solace.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take solace in knowing that she went to a good home. Sounds like the buyer will enjoy and take care of her.
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey man, you busted me bad and now your posts sound like my old ones. Not trying to come down on you--I would really like to get along with you.

Now, down to the "heart of the matter," there is no way possible to own N-1 on bikes or guitars. I bought a guitar last year--same reason--sickening story of why my Les Paul and tube type Fender are history. I bought a Taylor--after I sold the Martin and Les Paul years ago. Fingers still killing me--GOOD LUCK SKT--I really mean that!!
    Bike to live, live to eat!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by card View Post
    Hey man, you busted me bad and now your posts sound like my old ones. Not trying to come down on you--I would really like to get along with you.

Now, down to the "heart of the matter," there is no way possible to own N-1 on bikes or guitars. I bought a guitar last year--same reason--sickening story of why my Les Paul and tube type Fender are history. I bought a Taylor--after I sold the Martin and Les Paul years ago. Fingers still killing me--GOOD LUCK SKT--I really mean that!!
    Gosh... I thought we were getting along.
    What did I say? What did you say? When?

And, as for holding to N-1, yeahhhhh.... I wouldn't want to bet against me
    I'm pretty good at holding to it when I know I really should.
    And I have one basic rule: I have to ride/play it to keep it.
    I am not a collector and if I don't use it, I'm wasting it and someone else should get at shot at it.

As for giving up a Martin for a... a... Taylor?
    Nah, I'm leaving well enough alone...