Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Waterford 1200, Raleigh Record converted to a single speed.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone here done organized cross-state ride?

I've done RAGBRAI a few times and had a ball. RAGBRAI has a reputation of a progressive drunk, but I didn't see that. Of course I wasn't looking. How about BRAG? BRAT? BRAN? Ride the Rockies? BAK? What's been your experience? I know many states have organized rides and some have several. I would love to try other rides.
    Dan in SW Iowa...
    life is lethal; none of us gets out alive!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ride the Rockies x 2 back in the late 90's

Lots and lots of bikes, limited to 2,000 (seems like they get a few extras, though).

It was fun, but I wouldn't do it again. They NEVER tell anyone about the injuries and deaths, but there are both - I saw a lady with her pelvis broken sprawled out in front of me.

Great support. Fun times in the towns. Many folks or groups had their own "teams" with personal sag support.

There was a whole entourage of RV's, trailers and the like following (or intermingling) with us from town to town. Personally, I prefer riding solo, but would recommend if you have never done this kind of ride and want the experience. A whole lot of folks just love them. There were mtn bikes, roadies, TT, unicycles, adult scooters, guys riding in tuxedos who carried a portable bar, KMart and a lot of other varieties of bikes!

Best moment? Riding from Cortez to Telluride up the Dolores River and at a small town all the ladies had baked FRESH apple pie with Ice Cream! Yes, I was early enough to get a piece before it was all gone!
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 01-12-09 at 09:08 AM.
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a list of 134 multi-day rides in 47 states; no shortage of opportunities...

Bike Across Washington is supposed to be great; sold out by January 3 or 4.

http://www.bikingbis.com/blog/_WebPa...tourindex.html

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've ridden RAGBRAI 16 times (first in '82, last in '02) and loved (pretty much) every minute of it.

The only other cross-state I've done is Bicycle Across Missouri (BAM) in '85. More like a race, really, from St.Louis to Kansas City and back to St. Louis with a time limit of 60 hours. I did it in 56 hours, and it was intense, if you like that kind of fun.

I don't think they do BAM anymore though.

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm really grateful for these events. I've done Bike Virginia a bunch of times, TRIRI (The Rural Ride in Indiana) twice and CANDISC (Cycling Around North Dakota). They've all been great. If you're doing the Dakotas, be ready for some stiff headwinds.

Here's my Bike Virginia journal: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?...no&context=all

TRIRI journal: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?...no&context=all
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking forward to my 16th BRAG (Bicycle Ride Across Georgia) this June. More family oriented than RAGBRAI (from what I've heard), but I always have a great time with the group of crazies I ride and camp with every year, Team Occisus Via (almost Latin for roadkill). We do our own gear transport with a vehicle and trailer which we take turns driving and we get pretty elaborate in our campsite decorations sometimes. The routes change every year. My favorites are the ones that go through the North Georgia Mountains as this year's ride will.

Last edited by BluesDawg; 01-14-09 at 05:29 PM.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Michigan, there is the Shoreline Bicycle Tour which is quite good. There is also DALMAC. Which is another good ride

In FL, there is the FL Bicycle Safari in Live Oak generally held in April. This one has a fair amount of riding but you only shift camp once which is nice. Also the food is very good.

There are plenty of great multi day rides out there and each has its own personality.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have done a short TRIRI (had to leave on day four) and Oklahoma Freewheel. I'm planning one or two more for this summer, but not sure which ones.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done DALMAC in Michigan, Bike Ride Around Tennessee, Cycle North Carolina, and RAGBRAI. I've also done weekend rides in New York, Illinois, Kentucky, and Ohio. At least east of the Mississippi, it seems you can pick a date and you'll find a 'state' ride, or if you're not picky about the date you can pick a state and find one.

My Bikes
    Too many to list, all vintage
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you are looking for scenery, I can't imagine a ride more scenic than one of the several rides in Utah. I crossed paths with the Legacy Bike Ride Across Utah group last Labor Day as I was passing through on my annual western motorcycle ride. But there are several others.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did RAGBRAI XVI back in 1988 - grew up in Iowa and moved out ten years earlier so it was a fun homecoming, don't think I've been back since. Someday I'll take the wife and daughter through in an RV or something.

I think Cycle Oregon would be a nice one too.
    I've got a friend that did OATBRAN through Nevada... that's a little too much desert for me.
    http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800, Cannondale ST400, Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BAK was great, I did thiers in 2004 which was its thirtieth year and it was one of best I ever did, also did all the Wisconsin rides a couple of times and also the GITAP which was a very nice ride also.
    Last edited by lubers; 01-12-09 at 04:01 PM.
    Jeff

Trek 930
    1988 Cannondale ST400

My Bikes
    '03 Trek 7500, '08 Madone 4.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool thread. Might do one of the home state (Wisconsin) rides. It'll give me a goal to train towards.

My Bikes
    Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about getting it over with in one shot? That. of course, would be the R(ide) A(cross) IN(diana)! "One Day, One Way, 160 Miles" I have done this ride several times with 1,000+ of my close personal friends, and several Forum members have ridden this as well. Check out the web site, registration is now open, come join the fun!!! Ride in the RAIN!
    http://bloomingtonbicycleclub.org/tours/rain/rain.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tntyz View Post
    Cool thread. Might do one of the home state (Wisconsin) rides. It'll give me a goal to train towards.
    I did the Ride Across Wisconsin and had a ball. I am now preparing to go solo self suppoted but that ride is the one that got me going.

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something else I did not mention. There are private tours that cost more in various areas. I have done the "golden triangle" in the Canadian Rockies. It is a very scenic ride. I have ridden Yellowstone and Montana on another and Loveland CO - Estes Park - SteamBoat - Walden - Laramie WY - Loveland. I have also done Durango - Ouray - Telluride - Dolores - Mesa Verde - Durango and Santa Fe - Chimyo - Taos - Red River - Taos. There are a number of companies that provide the arrangements for these things and they can be quite fun. There are really no shortage of bicycle rides out there.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PAlt View Post
    What about getting it over with in one shot? That. of course, would be the R(ide) A(cross) IN(diana)! "One Day, One Way, 160 Miles" I have done this ride several times with 1,000+ of my close personal friends, and several Forum members have ridden this as well. Check out the web site, registration is now open, come join the fun!!! Ride in the RAIN!
    http://bloomingtonbicycleclub.org/tours/rain/rain.html

If you want to make this a week tour do RAINSTORM. Five days of century rides and the final day is the 160 mile RAIN ride
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Waterford 1200, Raleigh Record converted to a single speed.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Five days of century rides and the final day is the 160 mile RAIN ride
    Now that's hardcore!
    Dan in SW Iowa...
    life is lethal; none of us gets out alive!

My Bikes
    Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
    If you want to make this a week tour do RAINSTORM. Five days of century rides and the final day is the 160 mile RAIN ride
    If I could figure out a way to take a week off I'd do it in a heartbeat! Was supposed to do a PAC Tour training week last year in March in Arizona, but was told a week prior, no soap, gotta stay around. This financial meltdown has been hell on vacation time for the last year or so. This year, I may spend the better part of it wondering if I'll have a job.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cycle NC-

Not a bad week long ride-fairly comfortable riding each day. Starts in the Mountains and goes to the coast. Pretty well organized. It's usually in late Sept or early Oct each year.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tour de Nebraska is a five day loop ending where it started. Two friends and have signed up for this year's event and it looks like fun... about 60 miles/day. It has a reputation for being very well-organized. Limit= 200 riders.

http://www.tourdenebraska.com/index.html

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One I highly recommend is fairly new, LAGBRAU.

The organizer is attempting to pattern it on RAGBRAI but I liked it so much better. For one - smaller group. You get to know everyone. 2) the scenery is second to none 3) the ride takes place in Utah. Clean, well care for toads, no debris and best - no traffic!!!!

check out lagbrau.com

I also recommend Hell Week in Texas. It's not an across state ride. You station yourself in Fredericksburg and do rides out every day for 8 days. Distances vary (your choice) of 60 - 100 miles. The ride was intended to prepare one for RAAM.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BCIpam View Post
    Clean, well care for toads, no debris and best - no traffic!!!!
    That ride is on my bucket list. Better hop on it before I croak.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BCIpam
    Clean, well care for toads, no debris and best - no traffic!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Travis View Post
    How to care for an American toad:

http://www.wikihow.com/Care-for-an-American-Toad
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Travis View Post
    He'll be here all week ladies and gentlemen. Don't forget to tip your waitress.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast