Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bringing along a lock

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Bringing along a lock

Old 01-13-09, 04:46 PM
Senior Moment

Bikes: Litespeed Blueridge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bringing along a lock

Whenever I ride with my friends (a small group of ladies) I always carry my cable lock, never knowing where we are going to have lunch. None of the other ladies carries a lock. Sometimes we have to leave our bikes out of sight to go inside to eat. I REFUSE to leave my bike unlocked and out of sight. Every once in awhile one of the ladies will ask to share my lock, which I will do, if it can stretch that far. I really don't feel like I should be the only one to carry a lock. I even gave one of the ladies a cable lock for Christmas and she still will not carry a lock. This same lady always makes the comment of "oh you don't need to lock your bike, no one will take it". Well my bike cost three times as much as hers. The next time someone ask if they can share my lock should I just refuse and give an excuse like "it's not long enough for two bikes".
Old 01-13-09, 04:58 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I lock my shopping bike when I go to Trader Joe's, but otherwise on rides if we stop to eat I just keep my bike where I can see it. Usually stopping on club rides is at a coffee shop and there are other riders (that I know) outside while I'm inside, so no worries.

Now if I'm leaving a bike outside overnight, even when camping at Yosemite or where ever, then I do lock the bikes, usually with a U-Lock and a cable through all the wheels.

Also, Litespeed, please paragraph so your posts are more readable (you can "edit" to do this). Thanks!

Rick / OCRR
Old 01-13-09, 05:10 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespeed
oh you don't need to lock your bike, no one will take it
I have a couple of responses to that.

"Is your car locked? Did you take the keys? Did you remember to set the alarm? Why? No one will take it."

"I'm not worried about no-one, I'm worried about someone."

As for the lock, switch to a U-lock. They're much harder to cut, and you can fit only one bike in them.
Old 01-13-09, 05:14 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't carry a lock on club rides either. Shopping rides are different and the bike is different. I only wish they made a light weight lock and cable that would take more than a minute to get through if someone wants my bike.
Old 01-13-09, 05:19 PM
con
Older I get, faster I was

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sorry, I think you are fretting way too much about a nonissue. If you want to take a lock, take one; don’t get frustrated if others don’t bring a lock. If someone wants to share yours, and it fits, then share it.
Old 01-13-09, 07:33 PM
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Locks are a pain. To get one strong enough to protect your bike it weighs a ton. I can understand why people don't carry them ... though I you can bet that at least some of it is laziness.

I think con has it right though. Just do what you're happy with. If you can help someone by sharing the lock, do so. Otherwise, don't fuss about it. You need to be happy about YOUR bike, not everyone elses and if they want to take the risk, let them. Look at it this way - by leaving their bikes unlocked, they are reducing the chances of your bike being touched because thieves will go for the easiest target.

Richard
Old 01-13-09, 07:47 PM
VoodooChile

Bikes: Salsa Casseroll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by europa
...Look at it this way - by leaving their bikes unlocked, they are reducing the chances of your bike being touched because thieves will go for the easiest target.

Richard
Tell your riding partners this and they will suddenly start bringing locks
Old 01-13-09, 09:49 PM

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
I wouldn't refuse to share the lock if asked. Don't really know what the point would be.

You could lock all the bikes together. You don't really need to lock them to anything. You could probably protect 5-6 bikes this way at a casual stop, depending on the parking arrangements.
Old 01-13-09, 10:31 PM
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Lock all bikes together.
Have coffee.
Unlock bikes.
Hand lock to nearest friend and say "your turn to carry it"

Actually, if you tend to stop at the same place each time, leave a chain there so you CAN lock them all together but no-one has to carry it.

Richard
Old 01-13-09, 10:35 PM
Recovering mentalist

Bikes: Too many

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I carry a small cable lock on social rides. It would be simple to cut with the right tool, but it's meant only as a "keep 'em honest" thing. It's used only outside the cafe, where I can see the bike.
Old 01-13-09, 10:48 PM
con
Older I get, faster I was

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hand lock to nearest friend and say "your turn to carry it"
I like your style
Old 01-13-09, 10:57 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
We carry a short steel cable with tiny titanium combo lock. We lock up our tandem to something whenever we stop to shop or eat.
Had a smart***** bike club member tell us: 'I can still your tandem anytime I want to.' Told him: 'Do it now, you've got 3 minutes.' His reply: "All I need is cable cutters. . . ". Our reply: 'You've got 3 minutes". His: 'My cable cutters are at home." Nuf said!
While our lock/cable will not stop a pro, it will deter a snatch and grab opportunist.
Yes, have shared our lock with fellow riders if they ask.
Pedal on TWOgether!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
Old 01-14-09, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
By carrying the lock and sharing it you are potentially making life just a bit easier for someone else. You'd carry one if you were riding solo and stopping for lunch; wouldn't you? So, I see this as a win, win situation. You can't force other people to do what makes sense to you. But you can walk and ride through life being generous, kind, and helpful. From my perspective there is nothing to gain by pushing the issue with your friends.
Old 01-14-09, 08:41 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,052 Posts
I've had riding partners refuse to carry locks, pumps, patch kits, tools, lights, maps, enough water, cell phone, etc., relying on using mine if the need arises. Takes all kinds.

tcs
Old 01-14-09, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by tcs
I've had riding partners refuse to carry locks, pumps, patch kits, tools, lights, maps, enough water, cell phone, etc., relying on using mine if the need arises. Takes all kinds.

tcs
Heck, I've done this. But I was riding solo at the time.
Old 01-14-09, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I carry some kind of cable lock when riding with others. Just put it through the seat stays and rear wheel of 2 bikes, then they will be harder to take than the other bikes.
For those who think your bike is okay if it's in sight, years ago the Fremont police put out a "bait bike" at the local mall. They dropped the chain off the chainring, and backed off a bit to wait for a thief. The thief came up to the bike, put the chain on quickly by hand, jumped on and rode away before the cops could run over there. If you're inside a coffee shop, your bike will be gone before you can get out the door. If the thief is local, he/she can go a couple of blocks around a corner and hide with your bike.
Old 01-14-09, 10:23 AM
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 430 Posts
Locks are a pain. To get one strong enough to protect your bike it weighs a ton. I can understand why people don't carry them ... though I you can bet that at least some of it is laziness.

I think con has it right though. Just do what you're happy with. If you can help someone by sharing the lock, do so. Otherwise, don't fuss about it. You need to be happy about YOUR bike, not everyone elses and if they want to take the risk, let them. Look at it this way - by leaving their bikes unlocked, they are reducing the chances of your bike being touched because thieves will go for the easiest target.
Richard
sometimes I carry a lock, mostly I don;t...
thankfully on most group rides I do, my carboniferous associates' bikes look way more appetizing to 'bike carnivores', than my hunks of outdated ferrous... Then I remove the front wheel and unlock the rear skewer, and wedge the fork somewhere inconvenient.

someone doesn't carry a spare tube, I'll offer up my patch kit or cell phone...
I'd be embarrassed if I didn't have reasonable self-prep, but then I've always hiked, skied, rode, whatever - solo - alot. Meaning, its not in the pack then I'm screwed.
its a hard thing to know when to be the 'dad' and when to be 'team'. personally my real kids dun plum wore me out... so when out with others of 'adolt' status, being 'Dad' holds no motivation, chicks or not.
I will note that life works best for those reasonably prepared for expected conditions... and iff'n you go around with your head up your ass, the view is always a little dark, male or shemale.
Old 01-14-09, 10:47 AM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
It sounds to me like you have a great group of friends to ride with. You should treasure your time together.

They may not be as thoughtful as you are about protecting your bike. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them aren't carrying spare inner tubes, patch kits, or pumps, either. You might want to take along an extra patch kit (they're light) next time you ride with them.

There is a special corner of heaven already reserved for well prepared cyclists who help their friends. I'd let this small irritation pass in the interest of enjoying your group rides with your friends.
Old 01-14-09, 12:07 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Have to admit that I never carry a lock. Either my hand or butt is on it at all times. But at the cafe stops if I have to leave it-it is always parked where I can see it and I always sit outside instead of the warm- enticing interior. But before I leave the bike- I Take out the front Quick release. Any one picking up the bike would have a major problem to take it away.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-14-09, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by stapfam
Have to admit that I never carry a lock. Either my hand or butt is on it at all times. But at the cafe stops if I have to leave it-it is always parked where I can see it and I always sit outside instead of the warm- enticing interior. But before I leave the bike- I Take out the front Quick release. Any one picking up the bike would have a major problem to take it away.
Bicycling Magazine ran an article not too long ago that included tips such as this. Just a few things to do to make it harder for someone to speed off with your bike in case you don't have a lock with you. Others included flipping the seat around and shifting into a big gear AFTER you've stopped.
Old 01-14-09, 12:34 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by tntyz
Bicycling Magazine ran an article not too long ago that included tips such as this. Just a few things to do to make it harder for someone to speed off with your bike in case you don't have a lock with you. Others included flipping the seat around and shifting into a big gear AFTER you've stopped.
Also, you can strap your helmet around a wheel. Slows a potential thief down another minute or so.

A BF member (northbend) also gave me another similar good tip - buy one of those little locks like skiers or snowboarders use to lock their stuff in the ski racks.

Super light:

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-46...1957989&sr=8-1

Just enough to slow a thief down by another 30 seconds and/or give them pause to move onto the next bike...
Old 01-14-09, 12:55 PM
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 51 Posts
Except on my errand bike, I never carry a lock. Basically, I will only stop and eat at a place where I can keep my bike in sight at all time. Most others I ride with feel the same.
Old 01-14-09, 12:57 PM

Bikes: Trek 5200, Giant Rainier, Devinci Destination,Motobecane CF, Bike Friday family tandem, Bike Friday NWT

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bicycle pyramid

I know your pain. Everyone carrying a large U lock and a cable for lunch is a pain. Try the bicycle pyramid. Place your two most expensive bikes in the middle leaning slightly against one another. Then add bikes, one at a time to each side of your pyramid. Apply one cable and one U lock and have lunch. Sure is fun, and if someone tries to take a bike the whole works will come crashing down.
Hockey
Old 01-14-09, 02:12 PM

Better yet, have someone bring lox and you won't have to stop for lunch anywhere!
Old 01-14-09, 05:24 PM
Conquer Cancer rider

Bikes: Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday, Brompton (also fun bikes)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been caught a couple of times - once when I was persuaded not to bring a lock, and had to have my hot chocolate outside in the freezing cold. I never did warm up after that one - and once when I used my cheap cable lock to lock two bikes while we went to check out a craft market.

Ten minutes later, both bikes were gone.

I always said the necklace I bought that day was the most expensive $10 necklace I ever bought.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.