Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I shall never hit a car again !

I do sometimes tap cars on the roof or window if the drivers disregards my rights in a dangerous way. Today I was (in the darkness with my headlamp) going to work riding downhill. On my left a smaller road exits into my road and from that road a van is coming. I have right of way but he just keeps coming so I have to brake in order not to crash. I get angry, there is no one coming in the opposite direction so I pass him and taps his window with my gloved hand. He roars the engine and follows me in a left turn down a oneway street. 50 feet down the street he just rams into me from behind with no warning. I summersaults over the bike and it hurts quite a bit. I approach the car yelling about what the heck he thinks he is doing. He swings at me and wants to start a fight. Some other people gather and he claims not to have seen me. Then he angrily accuses me of riding my bicycle as if I were a car. I do not have my wits about me so I do not get the names of any of the witnesses. He hands me his card and says he doesn't care if I press charges. Probably won't do any good(my word against his) but I have an appointment tomorrow morning with the police and will report him. Lesson for me: Never challenge something that weighs 25 times your own weight, I really want to be around to see my childrens children (when and if they come).

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW it's a good thing you didn't get killed. I think if you took a picture of your bike and took that to the police station they could do something about it. I would think you had some damage. Anyway good luck, I hope it works out for you.
    George

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Referred to in the USA as 'road rage' . . . by both cyclist and automobile.
    Learned a lesson huh?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bike is a CX bike and it seems OK. I hurt quite a bit still but think I am OK too.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Be careful...........irrational drivers are more dangerous than you realize.

tsl
    My Bikes
    '96 Litespeed Classic, '06 Trek Portland, '13 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    And more common.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am amazed that this story comes from "bicycle-friendly" northern Europe. ...
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just me, I treat cars, and their occupants, like I do all very large very dumb animals, I don’t touch them………………

lube addict
    My Bikes
    Specialized FSR-XC, Optima Baron, Bianchi Pista, Strida 5.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As with caged animals, never stick your hand near a cager.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    I am amazed that this story comes from "bicycle-friendly" northern Europe. ...
    My thoughts exactly. Perhaps the driver of that vehicle was a transplant.

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been known to pound on a car that comes too close, and will probably continue to do so. Probably shouldn't but ...

Ramming into you - that should be an assault charge.

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good story. I used to be a car-hitter. I stopped after reading too many road rage incidents.

I did follow a guy to his house one time last year (he ran a stop sign and almost hit me) and have a conversation with him when he got out of his car. I was calmer by time I had followed him a couple of blocks, so it was (I hope) a more productive conversation than if I had yelled at him at the time.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not too late to file a hit-and-run. At least in Michigan (and I presume most other places) if there is property damage above a certain threshhold and ANY injury, then the accident must be reported. He didn't, so he can be charged criminally. File the report and press charges. If the injuries are apparent, then he's the one who will have to explain why he left the scene.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I realize that after the collision, you were not at your best. So this is not criticism, just a thought to put into your mind so it can come out if a similar situation happens.

In that situation, the right thing would have been to have someone call the police so that the police can see the situation for themselves. I'm sure that your bike has wounds and so does his bumper. This man assaulted you multiple times, and the assault with a car could be considered attempted murder. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't have some kind of record already. But you are right, your words may have less weight without the immediacy of the crime scene.

I'm glad you are safe. Get back out on the bike tomorrow. All cowboys know that you have to get back on the horse as soon as possible so you don't get scared.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    +1. I would report it though. This guy may have done this before, or he may do it again later... cops will have a record of it.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have filed a charge at the police station and they will forward it to the Traffic police who is responsible for these kind of cases. He will probably get a fine but I will not follow up on this any more. I will use it as a warning to be more careful with how I behave when I am biking. Hopefully the pain in my shoulders will not last for long.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by plodderslusk View Post
    I have filed a charge at the police station and they will forward it to the Traffic police who is responsible for these kind of cases. He will probably get a fine but I will not follow up on this any more. I will use it as a warning to be more careful with how I behave when I am biking. Hopefully the pain in my shoulders will not last for long.
    I have a hard time controlling my anger sometimes as well, but I can see, it has to be done, good luck.
    George

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I slapped the rear quarter panel of a car that was blocking the intersection (verrrry well marked) while stopped at a light. I went around the rear of the car (into the traffic lane) and gave it a whack as I went by. I'm not really proud of it though. If it were daytime I probably would have just given her a disapproving look.

When running facing traffic one time, I punched a car that was coming RIGHT AT ME that was driving in the lined-off parking lane on a very wide road. He was planning a right turn I guess, and was trying to get out of traffic early. Whatever, I had to hop completely into the ditch (there was no sidewalk.) Still P's me O.