Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It may seem silly, but

I've been riding for over 50 years with my saddle at the wrong height! I was taught in my youth that the way to measure the height was to sit on the saddle and adjust the height so that the balls of both feet touched the ground. In fact several years ago at not-so-LBS fitting, the height was measured in much the same way. A few days ago I tried the 109% of inseam method and boy does it make a difference to power to the pedals!! I had to raise each saddle by about 4cm. I've now applied this to all my bikes and the tandem and reckon I'm going 1-2mph faster for the same effort as before. With the tandem, I had to lower the saddle a cm or so from the 109%, as I still can't master mounting by pushing off and then climbing onto the saddle. Just thought this might be of interest. See

http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/art...ht-right-14608

for more info.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does seem silly that in 50 years you wouldn't have had a coach, or a fellow rider, or a friend who was a bike rider . . . you know . . . Someone; point that out.

If I see something like that out on a ride I'll usually check with the rider to see if he needs an allen wrench to tighten up his seatpost clamp, or whatever. 50 years is a long time, so I'd think someone would have said something like, "Hey, Artmo, buddy, that seatpost is way too low!"

Guess not.

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never had any knee problems, could always stay with the group, am usually one of the strongest riders for my age(68) and I don't think the seat looked really low to an observer. But now I'm even stronger

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All my bikes have the same distance from pedal to saddle rail--including the tandem. But those tandems are a beast unto themselves. I'm lucky in that I ride with accomplished solo riders so we utilise the same method on the tandem as we do on the solos. Both riders clip in one one pedal- other foot on the ground and the bike canted over. Then it is 1-2-3-mount. Works every time. Other tandem pairings have the stoker clipped in on both pedals waiting for the pilot to mount and with the bike upright. No way can I mount the thing with the bike upright.

But that saddle height- as you have found out- is critical for cycling efficiency. I once did a ride on the Tandem with the saddle 1 cm too low and That took a lot of energy out of me. And another point- with the saddle at the correct height-I cannot touch the ground with my feet-The legs are about 2" too short.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never heard of either of those methods of determining saddle height. I have always gone by getting a small amount of bend in my knee and by adjusting down if I notice any side to side rocking as I pedal.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. I wonder how my seat measures up?
    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4cm is a lot - that would be about a foot in real measurement, right?

My Bikes
    centurions (lemans and sports dlx both 1981)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmmmm not quite

Quote Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
    go here to see how much 4cm is.
    http://www.vendian.org/mncharity/dir3/paper_rulers/
    1 inch = 2.54 cm = 25.4 mm sooo... 4 cm is 40 mm or about 1.5 inches.
    http://revelstone56.tripod.com/index.html
    Hey technically I'm not crazy. The doctors even said so. I just do what the voices tell me and we all get along fine.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
    About 1.5in in old money.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    All my bikes have the same distance from pedal to saddle rail--including the tandem. But those tandems are a beast unto themselves. I'm lucky in that I ride with accomplished solo riders so we utilise the same method on the tandem as we do on the solos. Both riders clip in one one pedal- other foot on the ground and the bike canted over. Then it is 1-2-3-mount. Works every time. Other tandem pairings have the stoker clipped in on both pedals waiting for the pilot to mount and with the bike upright. No way can I mount the thing with the bike upright.

But that saddle height- as you have found out- is critical for cycling efficiency. I once did a ride on the Tandem with the saddle 1 cm too low and That took a lot of energy out of me. And another point- with the saddle at the correct height-I cannot touch the ground with my feet-The legs are about 2" too short.

Hi Stapfam - I've cycled thousands of miles with my saddle height lower and not had discomfort apart from some numbness and I don't know why I haven't tried the 109% previously. I suppose I like to be able to touch the ground with both feet without having to get off! That's especially so with the tandem. I note on a thread on the tandem forum that only one person (apart from me) starts by sitting on the saddle and moving off once the stoker is clipped in. I see friends of ours starting like you, but I'm buggered if we can do it. Anyway, we don't fall off. Now I have to play with the fore and aft saddle positioning. Once I've finished all the adjustments I should be good for Alp d'Huez or Ventoux!!

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by revelstone View Post
    go here to see how much 4cm is.
    http://www.vendian.org/mncharity/dir3/paper_rulers/
    1 inch = 2.54 cm = 25.4 mm sooo... 4 cm is 40 mm or about 1.5 inches.
    don't try to confuse me with facts!!

My Bikes
    '96 Trek 5500 OCLV, '05 Trek 6500 SLR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artmo View Post
    I've been riding for over 50 years with my saddle at the wrong height!
    Chalk it up as a "learning disability"...
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!"