Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Heart Rate Monitor

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Heart Rate Monitor

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-09, 12:45 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
I've only been riding on my trainer indoors and there the HRM is invaluable. I've finally got it dialed in for zones and so forth. That way for aerobic conditioning I'll go right up to but stop short of zone 5. I've also noted that when I spend much time in zone 5 I feel like blowing, so it's helping me to calibrate my internal regulator as well.

BTW: I just got around to installing my cadence monitor (I use a Garmin 305). I have discovered the folowing principle:

Perceived cadence = actual cadence + 20 +/- 10.
Old 01-17-09, 12:48 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
Do you guys really use your HRMs a lot? Do you put on your *cough* bra *cough* chest strap for each ride?
Yes, nearly every ride.
Old 01-17-09, 03:19 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Don't use it that often in the winter as I only go out to keep in trim. The HRM has another use for me though. I know when I am working hard enough- but to get back into trim I have to work hard. The HRM will tell me when I have slackened off and not working in my "Zone" for getting fit.I have a tendancy to to working just below par- but one look at the monitor and it proves to me that I could be doing better.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-17-09, 03:35 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Do you guys really use your HRMs a lot? Do you put on your *cough* bra *cough* chest strap for each ride?

Yes.
Old 01-17-09, 03:54 PM
just pokin' along

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Though it's not as fashionable as some other makes, I've been pleased with my Timex. Reasonably comfortable, easy set-up, completely reliable. The battery in the chest strap is easy to access/change. I understand this can be an issue with some monitors.

The model # is either 5H911 or T 5H911 F5. MSRP is $85-90. I bought mine on ebay for under $60 shipped.

But if you want a HRM that interfaces with your PC, this won't do.
Old 01-17-09, 04:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, both my wife and I use it every ride. I keep a log of all my rides/HRs/distance/average speed/ etc and have for years.

Al
Old 01-17-09, 05:21 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
I use my HRM any time I'm doing a ride that's going to last over half an hour or so, to stay at between 155 and 160 beats per minute. That's easy early in the season, harder as the season progresses. Four or five hours at that heart rate and you'll have done some work.

The great thing about this is it keeps you from slacking off, as stapfam indicated in post 28 above, but it also keeps you from going too hard on climbs. Judging from my peak condition last year (at 57 I was nearly fast as I was when I was racing at 21), avoiding overdoing it on climbs is crucial for getting the most out of my training rides. Wish I'd known that years ago; or, more accurately, wish I'd emulated the European pros who were putting in all those long, steady rides in the early season.

If you've going to do complex charting of rides that include intervals and the like, you should get one of the data-downloadable HRMs mentioned in the earlier posts. Me, I'd be just as happy with the Giant HRM on closeout at icyclesusa for ten bucks (https://tinyurl.com/7ps69t). The batteries (CR2025; usually around $4.00 each, I think) have expired on those, evidently, so you'll have to spring for a couple of those, too.

I just noticed that icyclesusa has the batteries available for $1.90 each.

Last edited by Trakhak; 01-17-09 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-18-09, 07:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another thought on the question of using one. If you don't see the need, then your fitness objectives don't require one and it will be useless to you. There are many scientifically based reasons for using a HRM for both fitness and/or performance. There's also the motivational factor.

There are many media resources that go into depth on these reason's including the book Younger Next year which has a current thread on this site. Another, Spark, describes a 20,000 member county school system in the Chicago area which has revamped their phys ed program away from team sports to individual activities and training. Each student uses a HRM in gym class.

It appears that Florida's governor Crist is considering such a change for the Florida schools systems; at least he was before the down-economy.

Al
Old 01-18-09, 08:07 AM

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by VolGirl
I'm a big fan of the Edge for cycling. The only time I don't wear the strap is for commuting or grocery/utility type runs. Or if I forget to put it on when I've layered up for riding in the cold!

I have a forerunner question. Does it record mileage like an edge? The edge doesn't record below a certain speed if I remember correctly. I would like to record distance on hikes plus see a map like I can with the Edge.
I use the Edge 305 for recording walks all the time and do not have any problem with the distance recorded. Make sure you have the auto-pause feature set to "off" and the data recording to every second.
Old 01-18-09, 08:11 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Edge for cycling. The only time I don't wear the strap is for commuting or grocery/utility type runs. Or if I forget to put it on when I've layered up for riding in the cold!

I have a forerunner question. Does it record mileage like an edge? The edge doesn't record below a certain speed if I remember correctly. I would like to record distance on hikes plus see a map like I can with the Edge.
I believe there is a setting for the mph at which the Edge quits recording. Check it and see if you can set it to zero.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 01-18-09, 08:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Forerunner does everything at a even a slow walk. However, the distance is not accurate as it only measures horizontal distance which is the case for all GPS. So if your going up and down hills, it'll be a little short. On the bike, I use my cyclometer for distance for that reason. You may also get an error (on the bike) at the low sampling rate if you have a lot of tight turns.

GPS elevation estimates are very inaccurate. Something like +/- 200 ft (?). So any true distance calculation would be erroneous anyhow.

If I remember correctly from reading both manuals (you can download them free), the Edge and the Forerunner have the identical functionality.

You have a map? My Forerunner only does a track. I use an Etrex for a topo map.

As mentioned, there is a low speed stetting. I use 2 mph so it quits recording when I take a snack break.

Al
Old 01-18-09, 08:57 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I use my Garmin 305 for walking and hikes with no problem. Maps and records speeds as low a 1 mph (actually, it stays on while you are stopped).