Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heart Rate Monitor

OK OK OK ... I want one. Should I get a chest strap equipped device or are those wrist watchy things adequate?
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you need both. The chest strap measures the heart beats and then you need a device to capture the measurements and display them... hence, the "wrist watchy" thing.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh ... OK. Duh. Can you tell I'm a lazy researcher ...? Actually I'm not - it's too tempting with such a powerful tool as this forum - to just post a question and presto ... an answer! Thank you BTW!

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep in mind too that the wrist-watchy things can be mounted on your handlebar so you don't have to keep checking the wrist-watchy thing on your wrist!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good because my wrist expands when I excercise and I stopped wearing my watch a year ago because it was uncomfortable.

Anyone know if this is something useful for weight training sessions?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not so much.
    We are as gods, we might as well get good at it.
    Stewart Brand

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are two types of HRM. The ones that utilise a chest strap send a signal to the monitor all the time so that you get a current reading of the heart rate rate permanently displayed. There is another type that does not use a chest strap and they require you to push a button to display the heart rate. They work off the wrist pulse and are not the best for cycling. One hand twisting so you can reach the button with the other hand does not make for accurate steering and it only displays the heart rate when the button is pushed.

I use a Garmin edge 305 now and the monitor is on the bar stem and it utilises a chest strap. Previous to this I had a polar and the monitor is like a wrist watch. Mounts are made for mounting on the bars so you can permanently see the reading- but I used to have it on my wrist as I had one of the later bar mounts that I did not like.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    1971 Suzuki TS125/factory race kit/AHRMA-legal; 1969 Suzuki TS250/factory race kit; 1967 Suzuki K-15 Hillbilly Trail 80; 1977 Yamaha IT175; 1964 VanTech Scrambler racing frame
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get the chest-strap one. Polar makes good, durable, foolproof ones.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dminor View Post
    Get the chest-strap one. Polar makes good, durable, foolproof ones.
    +1 and cheap to.
    George

My Bikes
    '03 Trek 7500, '08 Madone 4.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    There are two types of HRM. The ones that utilise a chest strap send a signal to the monitor all the time so that you get a current reading of the heart rate rate permanently displayed. There is another type that does not use a chest strap and they require you to push a button to display the heart rate. They work off the wrist pulse and are not the best for cycling. One hand twisting so you can reach the button with the other hand does not make for accurate steering and it only displays the heart rate when the button is pushed.

I use a Garmin edge 305 now and the monitor is on the bar stem and it utilises a chest strap. Previous to this I had a polar and the monitor is like a wrist watch. Mounts are made for mounting on the bars so you can permanently see the reading- but I used to have it on my wrist as I had one of the later bar mounts that I did not like.
    My situation exactly. I now use the Edge 305 to monitor all my exercise, especially since it is so easy to upload data to the PC. I like to log all my exercise; ymmv.

My Bikes
    Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My polar CS200 (bike computer and hrm) has been reliable over 2 and a bit years including some very heavy rain and rough roads. It doesn't like train line signals though and some internet hot spots have me recording some weird things (like dead or hyper or both )

Richard
    I had a good bike ... so I FIXED it

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
    Good because my wrist expands when I excercise and I stopped wearing my watch a year ago because it was uncomfortable.

Anyone know if this is something useful for weight training sessions?
    If you are doing a high rep/cardio lifting session where you might be lifting 50% of your 10 rep max x 25 reps and need to know when your heart rate returns to Z2 so you can move to the next machine, the HR monitor is invaluable.

MAK
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubix, Trek 520, Felt F80, Schwinn Madison, Gary Fisher Nirvana, Nishiki Bravo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who knows if it will last but I bought a cheap (about $45.00) Sportline HRM that has a strap but will also work w/o the strap by touching the watch near the dial. Seems to be accutate and easy to work.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MAK View Post
    Who knows if it will last but I bought a cheap (about $45.00) Sportline HRM that has a strap but will also work w/o the strap by touching the watch near the dial. Seems to be accutate and easy to work.
    I bought a cheap wrist HRM (different brand) that worked like that and it was rubbish - it'd give a reading easily enough but it never bore any relation to my heart rate. I'd rate these as a 'check before you buy' item

Richard

My Bikes
    Giant Iguana Mtn.Bike, Cannondale H700 Hybrid, Scott Speedster S10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Polar F6 that I got last year after Christmas (with gift cards) and it worked great for time and calories, which is what I really like. Anyway if you get a Polar be sure and register the warranty on-line. I had a problem with mine in December and went online and did a warranty claim and mailed it into them, it still cost me about $20. for battery's and postage but I got it back in a week and a half and they kept me posted with e-mails on when they recieved it, when they fixed it, and when they sent it back. I was very satisfied.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to confuse the issue now.

Polar are a good make so a good one to start with- but do you need a basic one -or an all singing dancing version?

I do have a polar CS200 and this also acts as a bike computer. Couple this in with riders weight and age and how hard you reckon you work and it can give you enough details to really confuse you if you can reckon out what buttons to push.

Or just go basic and get one that shows your current HR and what the max was you reached on the ride.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wait until he asks how to determine his max HR (heh heh heh)......

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HRMs fall into a few rough categories. There are basic ones. Then there are those that have a few functions, like keeping track of how much time you spent in each Zone. I like that feature. Then the next category adds other training options of various kinds. If you need them, you need them, if you don't...
    Then the last category you might call super-HRMs. They can talk to computers so you can keep a training database and analyze your progress. Or it could be part of a GPS. Or all of the above and more.

If you are thinking of a HRM, you are prob thinking of getting on a training program, and knowing your Time In Zone is helpful.
    We are as gods, we might as well get good at it.
    Stewart Brand

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been through several over the years from cheapos to Polars. Hated them all. Most quit working or never were totally functional. The Polar was difficult to set up and use due to a poor manual and intermittent buttons.

I finally hit paydirt with the Forerunner 305 which is the smaller wrist version of Stepfam's Edge. I wanted to record in at least three zones simultaneously and got 5 plus GPS for the price of an almost equivalent Polar.

It's very user friendly due to 7 well marked buttons which simplifies the menu structure and it has a large display.

They are about $160 now at Amazon with free ship. It can be handlebar mounted as well.

The Suunto monitors look well designed as well.

The only way to buy a monitor is to google for owner reviews (over 600 on Amazon for the Forerunner) and download the manual and study it before ordering.

Al
    Last edited by alcanoe; 01-16-09 at 03:51 PM.

MAK
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubix, Trek 520, Felt F80, Schwinn Madison, Gary Fisher Nirvana, Nishiki Bravo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by europa View Post
    I bought a cheap wrist HRM (different brand) that worked like that and it was rubbish - it'd give a reading easily enough but it never bore any relation to my heart rate. I'd rate these as a 'check before you buy' item

Richard
    I guess I lucked out. Readings with the strap to the watch, just using the watch and the strap to the computer on the YMCA spinning bike w/o watch were all within one or two beats each of the three times I tried it.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MAK View Post
    I guess I lucked out. Readings with the strap to the watch, just using the watch and the strap to the computer on the YMCA spinning bike w/o watch were all within one or two beats each of the three times I tried it.
    I think it's more a case that I had bad luck. The comment probably applies to anything cheap - check before buying, especially with the internet's ability to sell rubbish at prices that make it worth a chance.

Richard

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you guys really use your HRMs a lot? Do you put on your *cough* bra *cough* chest strap for each ride?
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

My Bikes
    '03 Trek 7500, '08 Madone 4.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
    Do you guys really use your HRMs a lot? Do you put on your *cough* bra *cough* chest strap for each ride?
    Yep, every single time. And that includes xx skiing, treadmilling, walking, and shoveling snow.

For me it's a motiviation and tracking issue. I find it very easy to just plug my Garmin 30 into the PC when I'm done and upload to Sport Tracks. I can see where I stand with my exercise for the day/week/month. My goal is 5-6 hours of exercise per week and I know whether I'm hitting that goal!

My Bikes
    derosa, bianchi, fuji, panasonic, jamis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
    I only wear my bra for serious rides. I don't bother with it if I'm just goofing around.

I recently acquired a garmin 50. $80 with including the optional foot pod from costco. It downloads to your pc using the same software the more expensive garmins use. So far I'm thrilled with it. Even though its from garmin its NOT a gps, just a HRM with optional foot pod and bike speed/dist/cadence pickup. Unlike a polar you can change the batteries yourself. Also, the chest strap is coded, which while mostly a good thing, means it doesn't work with gym equipment.

btw, its my 3rd HRM, and the first one I'd actually recommend to someone else!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a big fan of the Edge for cycling. The only time I don't wear the strap is for commuting or grocery/utility type runs. Or if I forget to put it on when I've layered up for riding in the cold!

I have a forerunner question. Does it record mileage like an edge? The edge doesn't record below a certain speed if I remember correctly. I would like to record distance on hikes plus see a map like I can with the Edge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast