Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Instant family (way OT) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/502583-instant-family-way-ot.html)

Retro Grouch 01-15-09 07:02 PM

Instant family (way OT)

The older of my two sons called today. They are expecting triplets in September. Whoa! - Instant family. That'll make 14 grandchildren (including another set of triplets) for Mrs Grouch and me. We are also expecting our first great grandson the end of February.

Kurt Erlenbach 01-15-09 07:35 PM

Congratulations.

This news, however, is not a bit OT. It is, in fact, precisely on topic. The reason we do what we do, and practically the only reason I do it, is to be able to report, experience, and enjoy exactly this kind of news.

BengeBoy 01-15-09 07:40 PM

Congratulations, thanks for sharing!

europa 01-15-09 08:33 PM

Wow, being able to rebuild THREE old bikes. Man did you get lucky there :D

Richard

Retro Grouch 01-15-09 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by europa (Post 8190178)
Wow, being able to rebuild THREE old bikes. Man did you get lucky there :D

Richard

That's exactly what I was thinking.

MNBikeguy 01-15-09 09:18 PM

Congratulations to the Grouches and Grouch Jr. !
Do they make those kid trailers in a three-wide?
(While you're working on their future bikes of course) :)

Jean Beetham Smith 01-16-09 08:39 AM

Wow! Triplets would seem to require a box bike of some sort, like the Bakfiets. http://www.dutchbikeseattle.com/html/bikes/ or http://www.treehugger.com/files/2005...iobike_wip.php or http://www.kangaroobike.com/
Jealous Congratulations.

Beverly 01-16-09 10:11 AM

Wonderful news. Congratulations:thumb:

Red Rider 01-16-09 10:14 AM

So, let's see, that's N+...wow!

Congratulations!

cranky old dude 01-16-09 03:11 PM

Congratulations.

Won't they look grand riding a quintuple (?) down the road in a few years?

Pamestique 01-16-09 03:26 PM

Holey moley - congrats! Be kind to the son having triplets. He and his wife are going to need alot of help!

NOS88 01-16-09 04:37 PM

You surely have blessing to count!

Retro Grouch 01-16-09 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by BCIpam (Post 8194926)
Holey moley - congrats! Be kind to the son having triplets. He and his wife are going to need alot of help!

You got that right! Both families live reasonably close so they'll have plenty of people that they can count on.

As I mentioned we have a daughter who also has triplet boys (now 8 years old). Consequently, we have an idea of what has to be done - color coded clothing when they're little, labeling all their drawers so anybody who comes to help can find what they need, and an input and output log to keep track of - well - each triplet's input and output. When they're new thay can all sleep in the same bed - after all they shared thghter quarters than that for 9 months. There's also a local support group - Mommies of Multiples.

My son and daughter-in-law look to me like they have a very strong loving relationship so I think they'll do well.

Pamestique 01-16-09 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 8195560)
My son and daughter-in-law look to me like they have a very strong loving relationship so I think they'll do well.

Always good to hear! First and foremost mom and dad need to be on the same page and love each other alot... the rest falls into place. Post pics when you can...:)

Kurt Erlenbach 01-16-09 07:21 PM

I have twins who are about to turn 22, and an older daughter who is 23. We had three children within 19 months, which was similar to (but certainly not the same as) having triplets. It was a tremendously rewarding, invigorating, and fascinating experience. My children were my parents' first grandchildren, and I remember the joy it brought them. You, R-Grouch, are a lucky man.

stapfam 01-17-09 01:21 AM

Expecting my first grand daughter in about a month.

Be calling you for tips shortly after.

Retro Grouch 01-17-09 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by stapfam (Post 8197791)

Doubt you'll need any tips. Once you find out how much fun grandchildren can be you'll be kicking yourself for not having them first.

Siu Blue Wind 01-17-09 06:55 AM

Wow Congrats!! With two sets of triplets and the other grandkids, I think you ought to start your own cycling team! :p

Beverly 01-17-09 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by stapfam (Post 8197791)

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 8197988)
Doubt you'll need any tips. Once you find out how much fun grandchildren can be you'll be kicking yourself for not having them first.

The only tip I have is never feed them messy treats at your place.....send it home with them and let the parents clean them up:)

Retro Grouch 01-17-09 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Beverly (Post 8198048)
The only tip I have is never feed them messy treats at your place.....send it home with them and let the parents clean them up:)

That's a good one but, if you wait that long, their parents might not allow them to consume an adequate amount of sugar to keep them wired all night. The grandparents have to be the ones do that but the timing window is important.

It was fun when I had my bike store. At Christmas time the parents would buy those nice, classy "ting, ting, ting" Incredibells. The grandparents would buy the biggest, loudest, most obnoxious sounding horn they could find.

Incidentally, the daughter-in-law who is going to have the triplets, she has resisted having family gatherings at their house because she's afraid of the damage the rest of our hoard might cause. I'm thinking she's in for a life changing experience. Heh, heh, heh.

jppe 01-17-09 07:42 AM

Here's hoping all goes well for the new additions. 14 grandkids. Wow........How old is the oldest grandkid?

qcpmsame 01-17-09 08:21 AM

Congratulations Grouch family! Triplets let alone two sets of them is pretty wild.

Bill

Retro Grouch 01-17-09 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by jppe (Post 8198153)
Here's hoping all goes well for the new additions. 14 grandkids. Wow........How old is the oldest grandkid?

He's 22 and expecting his own son in March. That makes me great!

stapfam 01-17-09 03:15 PM

Took my daughter to her favourite shop this afternoon. She used to be into clothes and designer furniture and the like but with one month to go- She is setting up the nursery. Everything is there and those big cheques from my joint account have told me who has bought most of it. But it was an experience going into the Baby shop. I just told her to get the final things for the nursery and she admitted that I had spent enough already. Got away cheap today.

So My experience of being a grandfather- and I am not one yet- has been very expensive so far.

But I will get my own back on her. I aquired a Bike last week. It is the smallest bike I have ever seen and it is obviously a kids first proper bike. Everything works- just needs a bit of checking over. But it has the most annoying audible device on a bike I have ever come across. It plays a small tune that lasts about 30 seconds and once started cannot be switched off- and The batteries are brand new.