Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Search is Over!!

I have finally found the long fingered gloves that will keep my fingers warm and are supple enough to work shifters. While out of town on business I stopped by a LBS and found a pair of the Specialized Sub Zero's in my size. These things are outstanding for colder temperatures. I went on a ride tonight with temps in the 20's and my fingers were perfectly comfortable.

The fingers and palms on the outer shell have a synthetic material on them so that the hands will not slide off the bars or hoods. Because they are a glove inside a glove the fingers are a little larger than I'm used to, but they did not get in the way of shifting. There is also a drawstring on the long cuff that really helps to keep the heat in.

The inside glove seems to run a little on the small size so if you're in between or have longer fingers definitely go with the next size.

These things are certainly not cheap if you buy them retail. There are probably less expensive options using non-cycling gloves that are similarly designed but I just could not find anything else quickly. Based on the results of my one ride I'm one really happy customer.

The rides this weekend might be the ultimate test of these things though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the inner gloves are removable,take them out and let them dry out between rides.That way the water from the sweat in them wont freeze and make your hands do the same.Old northern Canada trick.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recommend Spenco "Cold Snap" gloves... same company that makes Ironman.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Specialized "sub-zero" refers to degC not degF. No way do these gloves keep the hands comfortable in minus degF weather. Clever marketing.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rodrigaj View Post
    Specialized "sub-zero" refers to degC not degF. No way do these gloves keep the hands comfortable in minus degF weather. Clever marketing.
    You might be right......but did a long ride today with temps in the teens and my hands have never been so comfortable.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried several pair of long-finger cycling gloves, but the ones I like best are AXO mountain bike gloves. They keep my fingers warm, but still allow some ventilation so there is no sweat accumulation, and it's still quite easy to work the brifters.

However, they probably wouldn't be warm enough to work in the very low temps noted above. Still, for high 30's - low 50's (F not C) they work great!

Rick / OCRR