Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A flat, foggy first forty

St. George Island is a barrier island in the Gulf of Mexico southwest of Tallahassee. On New Years weekend, my wife, son and I drove up there for a bit of riding and a bit of relaxing after the holidays. Saturday morning dawned cool and foggy, but by mid-morning it had cleared up and we set off. The island is 28 miles long, and a long way into the gulf, connected to the mainland by a four-mile long bridge. The west end is a high end gated community (they wouldn't let us in), the center contains a few bars and restaurants, and lots of rental houses on stilts, and the east end is a state park with a long undeveloped beach. We rode to the west, then back through town and into the park. As soon as we entered the park, the fog rolled back in. And this was not just any fog. As we headed east, it got thicker and thicker, resulting in some of the thickest fog I have ever seen. The water started condensing on my helmet and dripping off, I had to wipe my glasses about once a minute. My wife pooped out, but my son and I continued to the end. Here's a picture of him before the fog got really thick:

And one of me:

Riding in fog that thick becomes surreal - the sky was fairly clear, so the sun was bright. But visibility was no more than about 50 feet either direction. Gulf sand is very white, so to the left and right was white sand that faded into the fog, and the black asphalt faded away just a few feet ahead and behind. There was little traffic because of the fog, so it was lonely on the beach. I wanted to ride over the bridge to the mainland, but I figured that was a bit dangerous.

In the end, it was 43 miles with a whopping 350 feet of climbing. A nice way to start the year.

Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good ride! I've been riding again for just about a year and my best effort isn't much more- 57 miles on New Year's Eve.
    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love rides like that... when you have a beautiful place all to yourself, all quiet and solitary. Sounds great... thanks!

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We get to ride in fog this time of year, at least at the beginning of our rides. We all pile on the blinkie lights.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades