Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello all, Montana is Gods country

I truned 50 last Oct I have just started riding a bike. Trying to get in shape so I can watch my son grow up. He is 7 I have set a goal to ride 2500 miles this year. That is a lot for me I am really out of shape. The weather here is not cooperating right now. We are having great weather this weekend. so wish me luck and off I go

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mttraveller View Post
    I truned 50 last Oct I have just started riding a bike. Trying to get in shape so I can watch my son grow up. He is 7 I have set a goal to ride 2500 miles this year. That is a lot for me I am really out of shape. The weather here is not cooperating right now. We are having great weather this weekend. so wish me luck and off I go
    What makes for great weather in Montana? I gather the Garden of Eden was warm enough to walk around in the buff so that would be one indication of what "God's" country should be like.

My Bikes
    2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Without music, life would be a mistake."
    -- Friedrich Nietzsche

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome. 2500 is a lofty goal for your "re-entry". Keep us posted and add your 4 cents (inflation) worth now and then.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome Mt, I have been to Montana in the summer and it fit my definition of Gods Country. I'm not sure about this time of year. So, what kind of bike are you riding, where are you going to ride, etc.?

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've ridden in Montana, and esp. liked the Bear Tooth Highway out of Red Lodge, MT. It's a great climb, and even though it was 80 deg.F in Red Lodge, it was 37 deg.F when we finally made it to the top of the Pass.

There is one "false summit" so don't give up when the road heads down for the first time. Lovely ride, inspirational views . . . don't miss it!

Rick / OCRR

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    I've ridden in Montana, and esp. liked the Bear Tooth Highway out of Red Lodge, MT. It's a great climb, and even though it was 80 deg.F in Red Lodge, it was 37 deg.F when we finally made it to the top of the Pass.

There is one "false summit" so don't give up when the road heads down for the first time. Lovely ride, inspirational views . . . don't miss it!

Rick / OCRR
    Yow... that would be some ride... we were through there some years ago driving and my wifey refuses to go that way to Yellowstone again. She is afraid of heights and gets carsick. Other areas in MT can be nice too.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MT - Here's a little advice. Listen to what Rick says, and marvel at what he does, but don't think it applies to you. He rides a billion miles a year, with 1000 feet/mile of climbing. I know it doesn't apply to me.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have friend who is originally from Bozeman, (or thereabouts. He father owned a really big ranch). She rides her hybrid on the canal path whenever she feels guilty about not riding her bike.

A few weeks back, I mentioned that I planned to tour Montana and Alberta, probably in the summer of 2010. She issued a sharp rebuke for my failure to invite her along as guide. She's now looking at touring bikes, so maybe she's serious. Maybe I'll have a guided tour of Montana in a year.

You do know that in Bozeman you have two of the most highly respected custom frame builders in the business, don't you? I have a hankerin' for a handbuilt, made-to-measure frame so I'll be visiting both Carl Strong and Dave Kirk.

Oh, almost forgot. Welcome!
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been told that Montana is considered God's country because only He/She would live there.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my bike

I just got a new bike it is a scattante T-560 with shim 105 componets I Bill ride the bike trails here in Billings then I will extend my range as I get to know my ride a little better. In april I plan to do the Bike portion of the peak to prairie triathalon that in 42 miles all on a down hill slope. lots of fun

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerlenbach View Post
    MT - Here's a little advice. Listen to what Rick says, and marvel at what he does, but don't think it applies to you. He rides a billion miles a year, with 1000 feet/mile of climbing. I know it doesn't apply to me.
    Thanks Kerlenbach,

But I'm no super-rider, and anything I can ride you probably can too. I only ride between 6,000 and 7,000miles a year (a whole lot less than a billion!) I'm not athletic at all, I don't race (too slow) and I have a triple crank on my bike (the obvious visual clue that I'm nothing special, talent wise).

My problem is that I'm not afraid to attempt these really difficult rides, and once I'm in way over my head, I try to ride my way out. Usually, it works out okay! Sure, there are challenges, but those are what make for great stories later on. And sometimes I fail (Mulholland Double '08 comes to mind!).

Or . . . maybe you meant a different Rick. If so . . . nevermind the above!

Rick / OCRR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    I've been told that Montana is considered God's country because only He/She would live there.
    I always heard it was because nobody else wanted it.

My Bikes
    Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode to Glacier N. P. on the Northern Tier last summer. It was awesome. I'm planning on heading up there again this summer to ride the Lewis and Clark from Portland to Great Falls. Montana is one of the most beautiful states in the country, with some of the most diverse scenery.

Boo-yeah!

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did Montana 2 years ago. I did the Going to Sun Road (from the South ? side) and then toured around Montana - can't tell you where (we started in Whitefish). I was with a group. My one real disappointment was the heat. It never got down below 105 the whole week I was there. It made for some not so fun looooooong days. The other thing I didn't expect, but should of, was all the road kill. I remember one long climb where I started counting the body parts...

It is beautiful country. Lots of water. The people were... interesting... not certain if I would go again, but glad I did.
    Last edited by Pamestique; 01-19-09 at 04:25 PM.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlueToe View Post
    ...Montana is one of the most beautiful states in the country, with some of the most diverse scenery.
    That is actually how I would describe Utah/Idaho - my favorite places to ride.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

My Bikes
    2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anybody recognize my avatar?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -- Friedrich Nietzsche

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil View Post
    Anybody recognize my avatar?
    definitely (ok well I think) GTTS Rd. I have a photo that looks just like that!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BCIpam View Post
    definitely (ok well I think) GTTS Rd. I have a photo that looks just like that!
    You're not saying it was 105 around Glacier are you?
    -- Friedrich Nietzsche

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil View Post
    You're not saying it was 105 around Glacier are you?
    Not towards the top of Glacier, there was ice and snow up there but in the valley when we started it was about 70 (this was 6 am) and about 109 in the valley on the other side (towards Whitefish). Too bad we just didn't stick around Glacier the whole week (like I wanted ). I didn't mind hanging in the snow! When I get home I'll have to post photos... see if I can find the one that looks like your avatar!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, you're right. Montana is the perfect place for cycling. Central Oregon, on the other hand, absolutely sucks. I'm almost embarrassed to admit I live here. Really. Honest!

SP
    Bend, OR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

going to the sun

I have been over the (GTTS) Going to the sun road in a pickup. Wow I would have a stroke I'm just trying to get back in shape. I am beyond out of shape I am about 60 lbs over weight. so it is going to be a slow process getting back in shape I am sure going to give it a good try. I roade about 10 miles this afternoon the weather was great today. If I can get good and fit. I will try beartooth pass in September. just before they close it for the winter. I will keep you all updated with my progress

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbycorno View Post
    Yes, you're right. Montana is the perfect place for cycling. Central Oregon, on the other hand, absolutely sucks. I'm almost embarrassed to admit I live here. Really. Honest!

SP
    Bend, OR

Your idea of perfect is different than some of us. I looked up the weather predictions for Billings and the 23-24-25-26 of this month would be a hot cocoa day for me. 23=30/13, 24= 15/9, 25=20/2, 26=25/17.

My freezer doesn't get down to 2 degrees.

We will be driving through Montana this summer but I don't plan or driving up that way till after March. I will take one of my bikes however.

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey there MTtraveler,

I live in Bozeman, travel all of Montana frequently. Perhaps we can ride sometime when I am over in Billings and have my bike. For a really fun ride ( doable even for us out of shapers is every year for about a month before they let cars into Yellowstone the park clears of road and allows cycling on the roads. This happens in early April, the Bozeman bike club usually does about a 60 mile ride then, I am pretty sure the Billings club does a ride then also.
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yelloystone ride

That sounds like a lot of fun I am going to look into the Billings club doing the ride. What a great way to see the park.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast