User Tag List

My Bikes
    Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

N+1 at Yard sale today

My wife asked me if I would go to some yard sales with her today. One of the neighborhoods not far from us has an annual sale and it has grown to be a pretty busy affair. I told the wife that I thought we already had too much stuff and did'nt think we needed to add to it, but I would go along to keep her company. At the first one we stopped at I bought a nice old whetstone for a dollar. At the second one they had an older Trek 1200 that looked like it had spent it's life in the garage. They were asking $75 and I offerred the lady $50. She took it and I had to ask the wife to pitch in and help since I only had $28 with me. We went to a few more sales and I just kept finding good deals.
    When I got the bike home I called a friend of mine who has been riding quite a bit on his mtn bike and asked if he would like to go for a ride with me and try the road bike. It is a small frame and it fit him perfectly. We had a nice easy 25 mile ride and he really enjoyed the road bike. My plan was to strip the parts off of this bike and buy a steel frame to make a commuter but for now I will keep it as is and use it for a loaner.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations RoMad,

Excellent deal on the TREK! I avoid yard sales like the plague, plus I have too many N+ as it is.

Still, if there are deals like that out there, maybe I should re-think my anti-yard sale policy.

Rick / OCRR

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love yard sales and have found many great buys at them. Some people look down their nose at "junk sales", but I've found genuine treasures that other people praise and are amazed when I say where I bought them. It would be cool to find a working bike in just my size someday. Sounds like you made the right decision to keep your wife company while she shopped.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job!

I love garage sale finds and that was a heckeva deal.

Even I would buy a road bike if I found one that was in good shape and in my size for $50.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A man smart enough to go along with his wife is often richly rewarded.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

My Bikes
    1990 Univega Alpina, 2009 Specialized Dolce Elite, 2009 Jamis Coda Sport, 2010 Jamis Aurora
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like an interesting find at a wonderful price. (Photos?)

Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

My Bikes
    Serotta Fierte IT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice find and great day for a ride in sunny Florida. I need to do some neighborhood rides this time of year. The 'snowbirds' are often having some nice yard sales and you never know what N+1 goodies you can find.

Mark
    2006 Serotta Fierte IT
    2012 Jamis Coda

My Bikes
    Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, Here is a picture of my $50 Trek
    [IMG][/IMG]

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    105 components? 53/39 crank? Chromoly front fork??
    Last edited by jppe; 01-18-09 at 08:26 PM.

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't remove the dork disc
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably early 90s. Is it a 6- or 7-speed rear cassette?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did a bit more checking, it looks like this one:
    http://atlanta.craigslist.org/bik/979240053.html

Specifications: Make/Model; 12-Speed Trek/1200, Color; Black w/Magenta Decals, Frame; Aluminum, Fork; Chrome Molybdenum, Handlebars; Specialized Crankset, Crank Arms and Chain; Shimano 105, Derailleur; Shimano 105, Brake Calipers/Brakes; Shimano 105 SLR, Shifters; Shimano SLR, Pedals; Shimano w/toe clips, Wheels; Matrix ISO-C (32 Spoke)

I think its a 1989.
    Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 01-19-09 at 10:52 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was a very good find. That 105 stuff worked remarkably well. I like your idea of keeping it around as a loaner.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    1990 Univega Alpina, 2009 Specialized Dolce Elite, 2009 Jamis Coda Sport, 2010 Jamis Aurora
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, it looks very nice! Congratulations on a great deal. Can't wait until yard sales start up again around here in Massachusetts. (Alas, that is at least 3 months from now...)

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember when those bikes were very popular. Nice handlers, but typical aluminum bone rattlers on anything but the smoothest of pavement. I like the idea of keeping it as is for a loaner for a while, but I would always have an eye out for a nice steel frame to migrate those sturdy components and make a sweet riding bike.

That's an incredibly short reach stem on that bike. Are those Bio-Pace rings?
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In searching for some info on the bike, I found multiple comments that echo what BD said, that the ride is more than a little harsh. A candidate for some soft tires and maybe a sprung saddle.

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found a couple of those at yard sales. I flipped both. They sell very fast to those somewhat younger than me who don't want to spend 800+ on a new bike and don't mind downtube shifters. You paid a very good price and should have no trouble selling it for way more should you decide to sell.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy C_R_A_P_! $50.00?!?!

If it makes you feel good, I hate you ... :-)
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a '91 Trek 1000 which used the same frame. If it rode rough, I never knew better. That looks like a very low-mileage machine; the anodizing isn't even worn off the rims.

Nice score!

My Bikes
    1972 Raleigh LTD, 1985 Cannondale SR300 (2), 1986 ROSS Eurotour, 1991 Giant Sedona MTB, 1992 Trek Antelope MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a special kind of ESP that allows cyclists to sense bikes at yard and garage sales?

I avoid them like pot holes but was almost unconsciously compelled to the one that got me two Cannondale SR300s for $50. They weren't even put out with the rest of the stuff for sale.
    Resistance is futile. Mechanical enhancement is inevitable. You will be assimilated into your bicycle.
    My Bikes