Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 01-18-09, 12:13 AM   #1
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A Bittersweet N+1

Last weekend we helped a dear friend pack up her 3000 sq.ft. house, 3 car garage and two sheds so she could move back to KC, after she moved out here in '01 to resume a relationship with her high school sweetheart. Said sweetheart was cgallagh's best friend; they spent hours hang gliding and we wimmens drove the vehicles that tracked their cross-country routes.

The last weekend of Oct. '06 Steve died in a horrible accident (flying an ultralight to pull the hang gliders up to soaring altitude). Our world, and our friend's, were shattered. (Sidebar: Get a will! Better yet, get a living trust. But get a will!)

Two years later and she's decided to sell the hang gliding business her fiance' had, and move back to be closer to her family and his. He was an electrical engineer and never threw away anything. Seriously. He was a genius and holds 3 patents that we know of, took excellent care of all his toys. We found his books and plats from his masters program. We filled a 20 cu. yd. dumpster with "stuff."

Sunday night and all the other help left, so the 3 of us were winding down and made a last trip into the garage. We found a cardboard box with the name of a bike shop on it. We opened it to find a bike box. We opened that to find a gorgeous Simonetti that had been in that box for about 10 years. While I was exclaiming (all I could say was "Oh. My. Gawd. Look at this!" about 1/2 dozen times), she gave it to me. I was rendered virtuallly speechless.

So we finally got time to deal with it on Thursday. I took pictures, and here's the link: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...3&id=522282597

I rode it briefly. It's a tad big for me. It fits cgallagh perfectly. With a new seatpost I'll be able to ride it but it won't be the fit that the Diva is...but for short rides it'll be fine. It's so pretty. The pictures don't do it justice.

Steve and I used to have spirited debates regarding the superiority of Campy v. Shimano. I can only imagine the groan from the other side when we put Ultegra pedals on the Simonetti.
Red Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-09, 12:30 AM   #2
Monoborracho

Bikes: Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Soma Saga
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
May you two have only happy memories of the loved and lost.

While it's bittersweet, it is a reminder that we are mortal. Be sure your will is up to date, not for yourself, but for those you love.

Within the last three years we have buried two parents, dealt with the estates, and put one parent in a nursing home. The pain of dealing with all the stuff has brought tears to our faces on more than one occasion. Five years ago Mrs. Mono had a very serious bout with cancer, reminding us that life is a limited thing. We now find ourselves wanting to own less and less, rather than more and more. Maybe we're alone in our feelings because I see so many people our age buying more and more...new lake houses, airplanes, antique cars, etc.

Meanwhile I'm giving away tools, books, furniture, and lots of trappings. We've just finished remodeling the house and are thinking or selling it to build or buy something smaller with no acreage.

But if the bike is too bittersweet to retain, and its between a 53 and 56cm seat tube, let me know and I'll give you my FedEx # so you can ship it to me. I'll keep it for you guys until you want it back.
Old 01-18-09, 06:39 AM   #3
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
I hope that all goes well for your friend.

I wouldn't worry one bit about that bike sizeing thing. Everything in the universe is interconnected and it will work itself out provided you are aware when the opportunity presents itself. For proof check my lifestyle changing bike thread.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-09, 10:58 AM   #4
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
Great story on the bike; thanks for sharing.
BengeBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-09, 11:41 AM   #5
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Incredible, incredible story. Just another way cycling connects in so many ways.

And a special blessing to EE's, past, present and future.......and those that are close to them.
jppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-09, 01:40 AM   #6
t4mv
ES&D

Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS
Thanks for sharing, Deb, I look forward to seeing you or Chris on it the next time we hit Winters/Cantelow on a BF ride. Hey, now ya got something to ride on one of the steel-is-real rides, too.
t4mv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-09, 02:19 PM   #7
Bud Bent
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
Great story, and it makes the bike unique.

Good reminder on the will. Like many, I had never quite got around to handling that. But, after my lung cancer diagnosis, the will, durable power of attorney, medical directives, etc all got handled. Don't wait for that kind of motivation.
Bud Bent is offline   Reply With Quote