Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First ride in the teen's!

I've read about a lot of you riding in colder temps (20 degree F and below) and had to give it a try. We didn't have any of the frozen stuff on the ground to deal with as we had clear skies but there was a pretty good headwind to deal with.

My wife knows how much I enjoy riding but even she said I was nuts. My kids thought I was crazy. But I was excited to try out my really cold cycling gear including my new pair of long fingered gloves. I was really curious to see about how the gloves would do in the colder temps.

What I wore:
    Head: PI Balaclava + Helment + cycling glasses
    Body: Giordana undergarment, thin long sleeve cycling jersey and a PI cycling jacket
    Legs: Cycling shorts, cycling specific leg basewear and cycling tights
    Feet: wool socks, windstopper cycling shoecovers plus regular shoe covers plus the "toasti toes" over toes and under my feet
    Hands: Specialized Subzero gloves

What I discovered:
    I never had to worry about my fluids getting too warm
    I could tell where I had sensitive teeth when I breathed in the cooler air through my mouth
    My nose runs constantly
    I had on too much stuff-didn't need the cycling jersey
    The PI jacket is amazing-I bet that thing would work well in -F temps
    I enjoyed riding in the colder temps and nothing even got cool
    I had to undo the drawstring on the cuffs on the gloves to let some cool air in
    I needed to keep moving-I stopped once to take some pictures and got chilled-it took a couple miles to get comfortable again
    Don't understand it but there were a lot more dogs out than usual-don't they know it was cold!!
    I just don't drink enough-I only drank about 1/2 bottle over 60 miles........pathetic
    Riding in colder temps is harder on the body......some of it I'm sure was due to the lack of fluids but I was really glad to be back home at the end

All in all-I'd much rather ride in 20 degree weather than 90 degree weather. I can stay pretty comfortable riding in the colder temps.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had enough of riding in the cold so today was gardening time. Now the hedge is trimmed- I can ride all summer without worrying. And gardening in 40F is still cold.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job. I found that when I got down to around 15 degrees, that the wind chill generated was great enough to make me back off and not get a good work out. But much of that was the result of foot problems. I have big feet and with toe clips, I could not get neoprene booties on. But I found I could switch to cross country skiing and do fine.

It is amazing how comfortable one can be in absolutely nasty conditions on a bike isn't it?

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are at opposite extremes on weather. I rode my MTB in 41 degree weather yesterday and despite wearing what should have been plenty of clothing, I got so cold I thought I would get sick. I am sure that my drastically reduced body weight and my general condition at this time played a part in my getting so chilled. But whatever the reason, I won't be going out in temps below 50 degrees any more this year. Hot weather may be unpleasant, but I can handle 100 degrees much better than I can handle cold.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    We are at opposite extremes on weather. I rode my MTB in 41 degree weather yesterday and despite wearing what should have been plenty of clothing, I got so cold I thought I would get sick. I am sure that my drastically reduced body weight and my general condition at this time played a part in my getting so chilled. But whatever the reason, I won't be going out in temps below 50 degrees any more this year. Hot weather may be unpleasant, but I can handle 100 degrees much better than I can handle cold.
    I did 40 miles yesterday in a strong northerly wind, with temps in the 50s. When I got home, I took a warm shower, put on a sweatshirt and sweatpants, made a fire in the fireplace, and didn't get warm until late last night. It is absolutely true that living in warm places makes you downright wimpy when it comes to cold temperatures.

Old Fogy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mid thirties yesterday. Should have had something over my face, my cheeks got cold. Should have had my insulated gloves, my hands got cold. Learning as I go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My record is a night ride at 18 deg F with a windchill of 5. Initially, my eyes were hurting from the cold, but that subsided after a couple of miles. I'm still working on keeping the feet comfy.

My Bikes
    Fuji Supreme; Fuji Royale; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    ...I could tell where I had sensitive teeth when I breathed in the cooler air through my mouth...
    Sensodyne. Follow the directions and allow 3 weeks for it to work.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have lived where it snows and I now live where it doesn't. I prefer it not to snow and I can always ride early in the morning if it gets too hot. If I had to choose I wouldn't trade 90 degrees for 20 ever. But for those that can do it, more power to you.