Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

TV Sports & Bike Maintenance

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-09, 06:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

I always feel a bit guilty when watching sports on TV. Being a resident of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, I had an interest in two NFL football games (one team did well... the other? Not so much). Since I did my miles earlier in the day, riding the trainer during the games wasn't the answer to reducing the guilt. So, while watching both games I was able to do some serious maintenance on the S-Works Roubaix, Habanero Team, and Jamis Eclipse. All three got new cables, chains, and handlebar tape. Each had the bearings redone with new Phil Wood grease, and the wheels were all given a once over in the truing stand. I was a bit annoyed that I didn't have any of the little metal cable end caps to crimp on the new cable ends, but found a solution by using a bit of Liquid Tape. (For those of you who don't know about this stuff: https://www.plastidip.com/home_soluti...cal_Insulation ) This stuff may actually hold up a bit... time will tell.

So, anyone else out there tend to do maintenance work while watching TV?
Old 01-19-09, 09:33 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Not T.V. but radio or CD's fairly often. My work shop is the back porch, open to the air but covered, and here in SoCal it's a fine place to work on bikes. Lots of good sounds in the air, smells like the backyard, but very relaxing.

I am so not into football, baseball, basketball, hockey, etc. and don't have cable T.V. so can't watch the only two sports I would care to watch (professional cycling and Forumula 1).

So yes, a cup of coffee, some classical music on the radio (or maybe Joni Mitchell or Ry Cooder CD), and bikes to fix or tune; I'm a happy camper!

Rick / OCRR

PS: bought a bottle of 100 of those aluminum cable end thingies several years ago and still have over half a bottle left.
Old 01-19-09, 10:04 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
... I am so not into football, baseball, basketball, hockey, etc. and don't have cable T.V. so can't watch the only two sports I would care to watch (professional cycling and Forumula 1).

So yes, a cup of coffee, some classical music on the radio (or maybe Joni Mitchell or Ry Cooder CD), and bikes to fix or tune; I'm a happy camper!

Rick / OCRR ...
Spot-on Rick. Are you and I the only guys who tune up our bikes to Beethoven?
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 01-19-09, 10:18 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
Spot-on Rick. Are you and I the only guys who tune up our bikes to Beethoven?
I tune mine to Ratt and EMF..................but then I don't do old steel
Old 01-19-09, 10:22 AM
Slow Moving Vehicle

Bikes: Felt F-70, Terry Madeleine, Novara Safari fully customized by me

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never tried dipping cable ends in Plastidip, but I have thought about dipping them in some JB weld.
https://www.jbweld.net/products/jbweld.php
The cure time might be too long though.
Old 01-19-09, 10:31 AM
surfrider

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I prefer listening to Mozart rather than Beethoven; a little more variety in "amadeaus' " compositions. Maybe some Patrick O'Hearn or Enya, too. Also glad to see someone else doesn't have cable TV!

Try using the stuff called "liquid solder" on cable ends. Works great at keeping them intact, and dries quickly.

Old 01-19-09, 10:32 AM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
I normally listen to podcasts when i do bike work. But for he playoffs I installed a set of Planet Bike fenders on my wife's new Surly Crosscheck as the TV blathered on about teams I don't really care about.
Old 01-19-09, 12:06 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
While working on my bike I usually have on either a hockey game on NHL Center Ice, or the DirecTV tuner tuned to an XM radio station.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."