Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TV Sports & Bike Maintenance

I always feel a bit guilty when watching sports on TV. Being a resident of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, I had an interest in two NFL football games (one team did well... the other? Not so much). Since I did my miles earlier in the day, riding the trainer during the games wasn't the answer to reducing the guilt. So, while watching both games I was able to do some serious maintenance on the S-Works Roubaix, Habanero Team, and Jamis Eclipse. All three got new cables, chains, and handlebar tape. Each had the bearings redone with new Phil Wood grease, and the wheels were all given a once over in the truing stand. I was a bit annoyed that I didn't have any of the little metal cable end caps to crimp on the new cable ends, but found a solution by using a bit of Liquid Tape. (For those of you who don't know about this stuff: http://www.plastidip.com/home_soluti...cal_Insulation ) This stuff may actually hold up a bit... time will tell.

So, anyone else out there tend to do maintenance work while watching TV?
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not T.V. but radio or CD's fairly often. My work shop is the back porch, open to the air but covered, and here in SoCal it's a fine place to work on bikes. Lots of good sounds in the air, smells like the backyard, but very relaxing.

I am so not into football, baseball, basketball, hockey, etc. and don't have cable T.V. so can't watch the only two sports I would care to watch (professional cycling and Forumula 1).

So yes, a cup of coffee, some classical music on the radio (or maybe Joni Mitchell or Ry Cooder CD), and bikes to fix or tune; I'm a happy camper!

Rick / OCRR

PS: bought a bottle of 100 of those aluminum cable end thingies several years ago and still have over half a bottle left.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    ... I am so not into football, baseball, basketball, hockey, etc. and don't have cable T.V. so can't watch the only two sports I would care to watch (professional cycling and Forumula 1).

So yes, a cup of coffee, some classical music on the radio (or maybe Joni Mitchell or Ry Cooder CD), and bikes to fix or tune; I'm a happy camper!

Rick / OCRR ...
    Spot-on Rick. Are you and I the only guys who tune up our bikes to Beethoven?
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    Spot-on Rick. Are you and I the only guys who tune up our bikes to Beethoven?
    I tune mine to Ratt and EMF..................but then I don't do old steel

Slow Moving Vehicle Jean Beetham Smith's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Felt F-70, Terry Madeleine, Novara Safari fully customized by me
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never tried dipping cable ends in Plastidip, but I have thought about dipping them in some JB weld.
    http://www.jbweld.net/products/jbweld.php
    The cure time might be too long though.
    Help grow the future of cycling in the world. Volunteer at your local "earn-a-bike" program. In the Boston area http://www.bikesnotbombs.org/about

surfrider
    I prefer listening to Mozart rather than Beethoven; a little more variety in "amadeaus' " compositions. Maybe some Patrick O'Hearn or Enya, too. Also glad to see someone else doesn't have cable TV!

Try using the stuff called "liquid solder" on cable ends. Works great at keeping them intact, and dries quickly.

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I normally listen to podcasts when i do bike work. But for he playoffs I installed a set of Planet Bike fenders on my wife's new Surly Crosscheck as the TV blathered on about teams I don't really care about.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While working on my bike I usually have on either a hockey game on NHL Center Ice, or the DirecTV tuner tuned to an XM radio station.
    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."