Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    88 Fisher Gemini tandem, 92 Trek 970, 07 Nashbar Frame, 08 Gary Fisher Paragon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just Checking in!

I know it has been awhile since I've posted.

Been deep in thought and reflection due to a Downsizing at Work which left me unemployed for the first time in my adult career. 28 years of service and I'm out the door without an annuity that would allow me to retire. Numbers are just not there.

Last day was the 29th of December. Applied for Unemployment and immediately started feeling like a leper. My last 5 years with the Company I did work for took the life and soul out of me. Saw the CEO **** and pillage the Company and take his Bonuses and Stock options laughing all the way to the bank. Of course I am sure that he will be gone this year too. Stock is down almost 80% in a year. Someone should be calling for his head.

I decided a few weeks ago to talk with the Bike Shop owner where I work part-time to see if there were some way that I could come on Full-Time. There are a number of investors and silent partners that had to be talked too to get the okay in this.

So... On Feb 16th, I begin my stint as the Service Manager of that Shop. Of course I won't make what I did in my previous career, but I won't have the stress involved where I was working. I'll be able to see daily where my efforts go, I'll get to help people with something that I love to do. I don't know if my wife agrees 100% with this decision, but I need to do what I feel is right for my long term goals and health.

A really neat thing is that I'll have a Shop Demo bike as part of my compensation package. We had a "SEVEN" Axiom SG frame at the shop that is tuned to someone my size. We looked over the specs and the "FIT" and it should be very very close to what I need. We ordered in a Full Ultegra SL Kit, a 12-27 cassette, and a set of Mavic Ksyrium Elite Wheels. Not sure what I'll use for a saddle. My butt loves a Brooks B-17, but I just don't know if that'll work for me.

So...Wish me luck in my new Job and with the new bike too!

Chris
    A Mess of old bikes...
    92 Trek 970
    08 Gary Fisher Paragon

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best of luck.

Tell your wife that your change of jobs may add years to your life. Sounds like you were under max stress in your previous position. Stress kills (literally).

Great leveraging your part-time position into a full-time job. Smart move.

One thing I don't find from many bike shops is creative marketing. There are so many things that a shop could do to increase business. My impression is that most of them saw the movie where they said, "If you build it, they will come" and believe that will really happen.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 01-21-09 at 06:11 AM.
    Gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for fun new group of 50+ folks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! What a change of events. I think you are correct in your attempts to do what you feel is right for your long term goals and health. I know that adjusting to a lower income can be challenging. But, when you're happy with what you're doing, it seems more manageable.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Trek 4300, Scattante Cross, Trek 2.3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck to you Chris !

Having a job doing something you must be great. I'm still looking for mine.

Bruce

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck Chris,

I've been in the bike industry since '68, and while it's true that you don't make as much as in some other industries, I'm sure you will like it! I worked my way up from bike shop to distributor to manufacturer, but plan to return to the bike shop when I retire.

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started by sweeping floors in a local Schwinn Shop when I was 16. Started to wrench shortly after that. It has always been my back up plan.

Chris
    A Mess of old bikes...
    92 Trek 970
    08 Gary Fisher Paragon

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will you be drawing an annuity on top of your bike shop wages?
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bet this winds up with a very happy ending!! Best of luck!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ever since I was in the Marines- I have been in the motor trade. So 40 years of spanners- parts and selling. That will come to an end in about 3 years time when I retire- but this week- We have been told of 20% cutback in the workforce. Don't know whether to offer myself up for redundancy or stay working in a reduced work force that is going to be overworked.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ang1sgt View Post
    So... On Feb 16th, I begin my stint as the Service Manager of that Shop.
    Congratulations Chris! It'll be nice to have you not only as my preferred mechanic, but as the Service Manager as well.

A really neat thing is that I'll have a Shop Demo bike as part of my compensation package. We had a "SEVEN" Axiom SG frame at the shop
    You dog you! I noticed an Axiom SG missing the other day. The one I've had my eye on now since forever.

But, if that's what it takes to get you on a road bike, so be it.

Now we just have to get you on some of the rides…

Mr. Modesty here hasn't mentioned the shop, but as a happy and enthusiastic customer, I can: Full Moon Vista Bike & Sport
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany. Just ordered a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO 105 to replace my "destroyed" CAAD 10 2.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sucks. This happened to me when I was 55 and I've seen it happen to too many of my friends when they were in their mid-50s.
    Sorry I can't offer any consolation, just best wishes in the new stress-free job at the bike shop. That's what I'm doing now, only part-time.
    That's awesome about the Seven. If it doesn't fit I'll be glad to take it off your hands. I'll even pay the shipping.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon 105 on order

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

Old, SLOW bike rider! ;)
    My Bikes
    1993 Mongoose Switchback MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gee and people wonder?

28 years and your out on your buns, gee and people wonder WHY I'm a lowly househusband You'll dig working at a shop, it was the ONLY job I ever had in my 53 years that I "WANTED" to get to work! Even though I was only the shop "Huffy Buster", it was a great job, MONEY ain't everything. I did some NORBA AM. MTB Racing, advertised for the shop and I ran the BMX Team, to this day I could "stangle" my old bosses X-Wife for taking him to the cleaners and ending be BEST job I ever had. Wish you Major Success, as they say down-under, Good on ya Mate!
    Take care, RIDE SAFE, have FUN!
    B.J. Ondo
    1993 Mongoose Switchback MTB, being converted to a "comfort bike"! :)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear about the downsizing. I too got a raw deal after management was goofing around the company. In my case, they moved the company to Indonesia and may have killed it completely as well. I'm left holding the bag for my last two months of wages.

I'm still hunting for work after several months, and I'm currently working with a former CEO of that company(not the one who wrecked the company), and he's trying to get another company going. But no bucks yet.

I'm glad you've found a situation that you like.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    Road & Hybrid
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good Luck, Top!

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The next time I'm in your neighborhood, I'll stop in and chat. I was there last when I was 5.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You get to work in a Bike Shop! That's like working in a Candy Store!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    Will you be drawing an annuity on top of your bike shop wages?
    Tom,

Thanks for the concern. I will be getting a Lump Sum and one years pay. This will help off-set my lost wages.
    My Wife's concern is that I'll have too many opportunities to spend what I make at the shop which has always been an issue! LOL!

I really am looking forward to this. There are wonderful Customers here and great people to work with also which will make my days that much better. My spending habits will need to change, I won't need a new car every 5 years to be sure, and Bicycles are cheaper anyway!

Chris
    A Mess of old bikes...
    92 Trek 970
    08 Gary Fisher Paragon

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    Congratulations Chris! It'll be nice to have you not only as my preferred mechanic, but as the Service Manager as well.

Mr. Modesty here hasn't mentioned the shop, but as a happy and enthusiastic customer, I can: Full Moon Vista Bike & Sport
    Bruce,

Thanks for the well wishes and support. Bruce is so typical of the enthusiasm that we get from our customers at this shop. It is a pleasure to talk and work on bikes for folks like this. So many of our customers USE their bikes and count on them on a daily basis. We try to serve these folks as well as we can. It's fun when they come in just to share a cup of coffee and a Ride story with us too, and our shop is certainly set up for that too.

Again, Thanks Bruce!

Chris
    A Mess of old bikes...
    92 Trek 970
    08 Gary Fisher Paragon

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So...Wish me luck in my new Job and with the new bike too!

Chris
    Sorry to hear about the old job. It has happened to several of my friends recently and most are looking for a less stressful job to keep them working until retirement.

Your new job sounds like a wonderful opportunity. The new bike is the icing on the cake
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith