Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Better Now Than Yesterday
    My Bikes
    Road bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just Curious - How far and how fast do you guys usually ride?

I'm getting close to 50 years old and my mind tells me to ride 20 miles and then after about 1/2 a block my body tells me just a few miles and only at about 13-15mph, sh**T!. I hate when my mind wins out.

Well, today I rode my bike and it turned out that some guy without all the riding garb was riding much faster than I was and someone who looked like he was a velodrome type of rider; I saw that he only had one gear in the back. Normally I ride by myself so I don't have much to gauge my riding against other than my cyclometer and heart rate monitor.

So far I ride about 5 miles at an average of 10-12 miles per hour and right now my legs don't like uphill climbs. I am planning to double the mileage to 10 miles per ride and something faster than 13mph.

So how far and how fast do you guys usually ride (non racer guys) and especially how about all of you in the say, 45 to 55 year old category?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    all types on these forums.

personally, i ride 4-5 times a week at about 15-30 miles each ride... a bit longer on the weekend.

i find that keeps everything enjoyable and it doesn't consume so much of my life.

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 52. I commute to work (20 mi round trip) 3 or 4 times a week, year round. I average about 12 mph on this trip; it's hilly, I'm loaded down with stuff, and this time of year it's in the dark. I get passed a lot.

My recreational rides (on weekends) range from 15 to 100+ miles (last year). Most of my riding has some amount of hills involved, from mild rollers to mountains. My average speed never varies much, from 14 to 16 mph.

My "comfortable cruising speed" seems to be faster: Flat, no wind, no commuting load, 18 mph to 20 mph seems comfortable to me without a paceline. But I'm never on flat ground long enough to know if I could average that over a long distance, so maybe I'm just dreamin'.

BTW, since returning to bicycling two years ago, I haven't gotten much faster, but I've become much more comfortable climbing and with longer distances.

I rode 5,300 miles last year.
    Last edited by BengeBoy; 02-05-09 at 10:36 AM.

My Bikes
    2004 Giant OCR Touring / 2001 Specialized Sirrus Comp (for sale) / 14-year-old Target Special
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in the "closing on 50" demographic myself. I ride a touch over 9 miles each way to work 4-5 days a week. I can do it in 38 minutes on my fastest day, 55 with the wind in my face. That's something like 13.5 mph on a good day 10 mph on a bad one.

You don't have to race bikes to enjoy riding. In running the big goal is the PB "Personal Best". Don't waste too much time comparing yourself with anyone else. This site is frequented by racers and wannabe racers in a much higher proportion than society as a whole, so don't worry about what "they" can do.

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be 67 y/o in April.
    1211 miles to date.
    17 rides
    Four Century's
    Average 71.2 miles per ride.

Goal 20,000 this year.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

My Bikes
    Too darn many.. latest count is 11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Better Now... View Post
    So far I ride about 5 miles at an average of 10-12 miles per hour and right now my legs don't like uphill climbs. I am planning to double the mileage to 10 miles per ride and something faster than 13mph.

I bike commute daily. I average anywhere from 10-11mph to between 14-15mph on a 20 mile each way trip. Depends on a combination of wind/cold and which of my bikes I'm riding and how well I catch the lights.

That's real averages, not made up for BF averages Oh, and I'm 52

My Bikes
    Lots
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Early 40s ... 18-20 km/h ... and anywhere from 20 km (my really short ride) to 200 km ... with the occasional 300 km, 400 km, 600 km, 1000 km, and 1200 km ride thrown in for good measure.

My Bikes
    2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi. 52-year-old Athena girl with a bad knee. I try to bike commute 2-4x/week and do some weekend rides. I started riding 7 months ago. My first rides were measured in blocks; my commutes are 9-17 miles each way; longest ride is 50, and I am hoping to get 300 miles in this month. This morning I commuted 11 miles around 12.5 mph avg with a rack+pannier, lots of stop signs and stop lights. Most of my rides have some hills. I would like to be faster to be able to ride with more people.

Great State of Varmint Panthers007's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    49. Better weather - Vermont here - and I'll do at least 12 miles distance - usually more. According to my Cateye Strada Wireless, My average speed is 14 - 16 mph. That's on my Trek hybrid. On my decked out vintage Puch frame and where I went from there, I don't have a computer. But the mileage would be the same, and the speed quite a bit faster. The Puch just entices, then demands, you spin it out on my 42T - 52T Campy Super Record cranks and my 11T on a Miche 8 Spd. cassette.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cateye View Post
    Only panthers007 is stupid enough to believe that this is a good idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MY idea is to ride about 10 miles a night, and longer on weekends, with occasional charity rides thrown in. The regular Saturday morning ride is about 24 miles, and I try to ride 20-40 miles on Sunday afternoon if I can. I'm ridining a single-speed cruiser, usually average 12-14 mph per my speedometer. And I'm 48.
    "be careful this rando stuff is addictive and dan's the 'pusher'."

sal
    buzzards circle above
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Sport Road 500, Cannondale Synapse Carbon 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 55. I live in Michigan so my road bike is indoors for the winter months. Of course, as a kid I bicycled but I bought my first road bike in fall of 2005 and another one in the spring of 2008. In the warm weather I ride 25-40 miles on Saturday and/or Sunday at 17.5-18mph. I did my first century in October of 2007. I did 4 centuries in 2008 at 16.5 mph average.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. This is an excellent question.

During outdoor season I ride twice a week, from 12 to 30 miles a pop, although I sometimes go further. My favorite ride is around 45 miles but I only do it a few times a year.

I average 12-14 MPH in rolling terrain.

My longest ride has been 62.4 miles.

I'm thinking about signing up for the Team-in-Training and doing the Fletcher-Flyer century.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At this point dont sweat the mileage or the speed, and never compare yourself with anyone else. The more you ride - the longer you'll be able to do it, and you'll naturally get faster.

I'm 52 and ride a 10-mile training route almost every day, on top of commuting to work My average speed over this route is generally from 13.2 to 14.5 mph dpending on the winds and how I feel. This is also with about a dozen intersections or crosswalks that slow me down, otherwise my averages would probably be higher.

Stay focused on your bike, where you're riding, and your health, and dont worry about anything else.

Enjoy
    ~ "I like the way the brake cables come out of the top of the levers and loop around to the brake calipers!...I like those downtube shifters too!...No no no, don't take 'em off, don't take 'em off,...leave 'em on, leave 'em on! - Thats right baby!!

~BF - Steel Club Member #00051

My Bikes
    Rans Stratus LE, Terra Trike Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regardless of your age, someone older will invariably ride further, faster than you; enjoy your ride at your speed.

fredelicious mini-masher overthere's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Hybrid Specialized Dolce Elite, Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just turned 5o a couple of weeks ago I've been riding for 4 years now. My first ride was into town, at 5 miles, I thought I was going to faint ...mild panicking as I realized I had to ride back home! It was on my hybrid, avoiding roads and finding bike paths I had read all about bonking, and I was sure that was what was happening to me!!

So far this year, I've been riding about 100 miles a week. I joined a local race team recently - my reaction to turning 50 . I raced for the first time a couple weeks ago, and held the wheel of the mentoring Rock Racer Adam S. and a Metromint guy at speeds up to 28 for a few miles, before I got spit out the back at the first sprint...

The distances I like best are about 50-60 miles on the weekend. I have a lot of work to do. My goal this year is to finish a race. Next year my goal will be to be able to suck wheel and hang onto the back of a pack~

God knows what foolish thing I'll attempt when I hit the big 6-0!

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Remember, that the distances and speeds given will vary depending on the terrain, surface and type of biking. A 13 mph average for a beginner or returning rider is a good starting point. Most of the higher speeds quoted here are done with road bikes on flat to rolling terrain. Expect lower speeds in hill country and much lower speeds on dirt with an MTB.

Speed and distance are interesting numbers for training purposes and can be used to compare you progress against yourself. The really important numbers though involve your enjoyment factors............are you having fun riding. That's important because even if you use riding for exercise, it wont stick unless your having fun.

My Bikes
    Road & Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 62, with a bad knee. I ride a Specialized Crosstrail, Hybrid. An old retired guy!

I do between 30 and 42 miles every day, plus 5 to 10 for errands. Mostly on paved MUP.

I usually average 13 to 15 MPH.

My Bikes
    a bunch
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Better Now... View Post
    I'm getting close to 50 years old and my mind tells me to ride 20 miles and then after about 1/2 a block my body tells me just a few miles and only at about 13-15mph, sh**T!. I hate when my mind wins out.

So how far and how fast do you guys usually ride (non racer guys) and especially how about all of you in the say, 45 to 55 year old category?
    however far and fast you ride, its great whatever the outcome
    I'm not gettin that you;re unhappy with yourself, thatz great!
    cycling, at any level, is one of those special things where things come slowly.
    Your own improvement
    the passing landscape
    building friendships with other riders...
    'work' done slowly usually has a solid base and last much longer... thatz the point

a more direct answer to your Q, I like that 1.5 hr evening ride a lot. That usually means about 26-28 miles when you add a nice warmup and comfortable 'cooldown'. 4 nites a week is fun, especially when I can get my Tuesday Hillclimb in.
    Wkends means anywhere from 40 to 50 on a Sat morning and 60+ on Sunday (if I'm not off on sometin else...)
    course none of this holds on those days I do some 'offroad'. Then miles really vary, and terrain controls the horzintal and the vertical.
    and like someone said, its good not to let it 'control' you completely.
    speed/pace? that dependez... on whoz wheel I can suck... I AM an unrelenting wheel-suckin leech
    Oh, punching the clock @ 60...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be 55 soon and I do 80-100 every Saturday and 25-30 Sundays and try to get in a couple hours on the bike on Wednesday. All my Saturday rides have climbing, some of them have a lot. Don't know about average speeds. Did my first century in 1988.

My Bikes
    05 Trek 5200, 07 Trek 520, 99 GT Karakoram, 08 Surly 1X1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride 75 miles per day and average 28 mph..
    Oh... wait... I thought I was in the road forum for a minute...
    Actually, I'm 51 and commute 6 miles each way to work and wade through the winter slush at around 12 mph.
    Summer riding is slightly faster. Weekend rides are longer (50 - 75) and I throw in the occasional century but I don't like to make a habit of it.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    - Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I average 120 to 130 miles a week, with ride distances from 25 to 200 miles. My average speed varies from 13 to 20 mph, depending on how long the ride, which bike I'm on, etc.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800, Cannondale ST400, Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be 55 next week and during the week day I usually ride by myself or with my wife, then its about twenty miles and about an 13 mph average, on weekends I ride with a friend who likes to set a faster pace we usually end up with about a 17 mph average. Lots of hills in our area so 17 is a very good pace for me, he goes about 170 and I go 270 so it takes me a little while to catch up to him after the hills, we try and do at least forty to sixty miles on a Saturday.
    Jeff

Trek 930
    1988 Cannondale ST400

My Bikes
    '03 Trek 7500, '08 Madone 4.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right now I'm putting on about 30 miles/week on my trainer, average speed 12.5 mph. In season my average is around 100 miles/week, average speed 13-14. That's on a Trek hybrid, rolling hills.

It's all fun. Well, maybe not the trainer so much.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I was employed I did at least 1.5 hours per day at 18 MPH on a bike or trainer.
    These days I am retired and do at least 3 to 4 hours per day at 17 to 18 MPH. The idea is to wear out and not rust out.

My Bikes
    Trek 4500 modded with slicks, Specialized Crossroads 2007, Fuji MX 460 MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might be young for this category, i ride 17 miles 4 -5 times a week for fitness. I ride a Trek 4300 with slick 1.95 tires i average 14-17 MPH on flat terrain.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast