Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Just Checking in!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Just Checking in!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-09, 06:49 AM

Bikes: 88 Fisher Gemini tandem, 92 Trek 970, 07 Nashbar Frame, 08 Gary Fisher Paragon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just Checking in!

I know it has been awhile since I've posted.

Been deep in thought and reflection due to a Downsizing at Work which left me unemployed for the first time in my adult career. 28 years of service and I'm out the door without an annuity that would allow me to retire. Numbers are just not there.

Last day was the 29th of December. Applied for Unemployment and immediately started feeling like a leper. My last 5 years with the Company I did work for took the life and soul out of me. Saw the CEO **** and pillage the Company and take his Bonuses and Stock options laughing all the way to the bank. Of course I am sure that he will be gone this year too. Stock is down almost 80% in a year. Someone should be calling for his head.

I decided a few weeks ago to talk with the Bike Shop owner where I work part-time to see if there were some way that I could come on Full-Time. There are a number of investors and silent partners that had to be talked too to get the okay in this.

So... On Feb 16th, I begin my stint as the Service Manager of that Shop. Of course I won't make what I did in my previous career, but I won't have the stress involved where I was working. I'll be able to see daily where my efforts go, I'll get to help people with something that I love to do. I don't know if my wife agrees 100% with this decision, but I need to do what I feel is right for my long term goals and health.

A really neat thing is that I'll have a Shop Demo bike as part of my compensation package. We had a "SEVEN" Axiom SG frame at the shop that is tuned to someone my size. We looked over the specs and the "FIT" and it should be very very close to what I need. We ordered in a Full Ultegra SL Kit, a 12-27 cassette, and a set of Mavic Ksyrium Elite Wheels. Not sure what I'll use for a saddle. My butt loves a Brooks B-17, but I just don't know if that'll work for me.

So...Wish me luck in my new Job and with the new bike too!

Chris
Old 01-21-09, 07:07 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Best of luck.

Tell your wife that your change of jobs may add years to your life. Sounds like you were under max stress in your previous position. Stress kills (literally).

Great leveraging your part-time position into a full-time job. Smart move.

One thing I don't find from many bike shops is creative marketing. There are so many things that a shop could do to increase business. My impression is that most of them saw the movie where they said, "If you build it, they will come" and believe that will really happen.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 01-21-09 at 07:11 AM.
Old 01-21-09, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Wow! What a change of events. I think you are correct in your attempts to do what you feel is right for your long term goals and health. I know that adjusting to a lower income can be challenging. But, when you're happy with what you're doing, it seems more manageable.
Old 01-21-09, 07:10 AM

Bikes: Trek 4300, Scattante Cross, Trek 2.3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good luck to you Chris !

Having a job doing something you must be great. I'm still looking for mine.

Bruce
Old 01-21-09, 08:48 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Good luck Chris,

I've been in the bike industry since '68, and while it's true that you don't make as much as in some other industries, I'm sure you will like it! I worked my way up from bike shop to distributor to manufacturer, but plan to return to the bike shop when I retire.

Rick / OCRR
Old 01-21-09, 08:53 AM

Bikes: 88 Fisher Gemini tandem, 92 Trek 970, 07 Nashbar Frame, 08 Gary Fisher Paragon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started by sweeping floors in a local Schwinn Shop when I was 16. Started to wrench shortly after that. It has always been my back up plan.

Chris
Old 01-21-09, 01:07 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Will you be drawing an annuity on top of your bike shop wages?

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 01-21-09, 01:51 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I bet this winds up with a very happy ending!! Best of luck!
Old 01-21-09, 01:59 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Ever since I was in the Marines- I have been in the motor trade. So 40 years of spanners- parts and selling. That will come to an end in about 3 years time when I retire- but this week- We have been told of 20% cutback in the workforce. Don't know whether to offer myself up for redundancy or stay working in a reduced work force that is going to be overworked.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-21-09, 02:11 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ang1sgt
So... On Feb 16th, I begin my stint as the Service Manager of that Shop.
Congratulations Chris! It'll be nice to have you not only as my preferred mechanic, but as the Service Manager as well.

A really neat thing is that I'll have a Shop Demo bike as part of my compensation package. We had a "SEVEN" Axiom SG frame at the shop
You dog you! I noticed an Axiom SG missing the other day. The one I've had my eye on now since forever.

But, if that's what it takes to get you on a road bike, so be it.

Now we just have to get you on some of the rides…

Mr. Modesty here hasn't mentioned the shop, but as a happy and enthusiastic customer, I can: Full Moon Vista Bike & Sport
Old 01-21-09, 03:08 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
That sucks. This happened to me when I was 55 and I've seen it happen to too many of my friends when they were in their mid-50s.
Sorry I can't offer any consolation, just best wishes in the new stress-free job at the bike shop. That's what I'm doing now, only part-time.
That's awesome about the Seven. If it doesn't fit I'll be glad to take it off your hands. I'll even pay the shipping.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 01-21-09, 04:19 PM

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
Gee and people wonder?

28 years and your out on your buns, gee and people wonder WHY I'm a lowly househusband You'll dig working at a shop, it was the ONLY job I ever had in my 53 years that I "WANTED" to get to work! Even though I was only the shop "Huffy Buster", it was a great job, MONEY ain't everything. I did some NORBA AM. MTB Racing, advertised for the shop and I ran the BMX Team, to this day I could "stangle" my old bosses X-Wife for taking him to the cleaners and ending be BEST job I ever had. Wish you Major Success, as they say down-under, Good on ya Mate!

Old 01-21-09, 04:29 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Sorry to hear about the downsizing. I too got a raw deal after management was goofing around the company. In my case, they moved the company to Indonesia and may have killed it completely as well. I'm left holding the bag for my last two months of wages.

I'm still hunting for work after several months, and I'm currently working with a former CEO of that company(not the one who wrecked the company), and he's trying to get another company going. But no bucks yet.

I'm glad you've found a situation that you like.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 01-21-09, 05:02 PM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Good Luck, Top!
Old 01-21-09, 06:52 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The next time I'm in your neighborhood, I'll stop in and chat. I was there last when I was 5.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 01-21-09, 07:45 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
You get to work in a Bike Shop! That's like working in a Candy Store!
Old 01-22-09, 07:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Will you be drawing an annuity on top of your bike shop wages?
Tom,

Thanks for the concern. I will be getting a Lump Sum and one years pay. This will help off-set my lost wages.
My Wife's concern is that I'll have too many opportunities to spend what I make at the shop which has always been an issue! LOL!

I really am looking forward to this. There are wonderful Customers here and great people to work with also which will make my days that much better. My spending habits will need to change, I won't need a new car every 5 years to be sure, and Bicycles are cheaper anyway!

Chris
Old 01-22-09, 07:33 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
Congratulations Chris! It'll be nice to have you not only as my preferred mechanic, but as the Service Manager as well.

Mr. Modesty here hasn't mentioned the shop, but as a happy and enthusiastic customer, I can: Full Moon Vista Bike & Sport
Bruce,

Thanks for the well wishes and support. Bruce is so typical of the enthusiasm that we get from our customers at this shop. It is a pleasure to talk and work on bikes for folks like this. So many of our customers USE their bikes and count on them on a daily basis. We try to serve these folks as well as we can. It's fun when they come in just to share a cup of coffee and a Ride story with us too, and our shop is certainly set up for that too.

Again, Thanks Bruce!

Chris
Old 01-22-09, 08:00 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So...Wish me luck in my new Job and with the new bike too!

Chris
Sorry to hear about the old job. It has happened to several of my friends recently and most are looking for a less stressful job to keep them working until retirement.

Your new job sounds like a wonderful opportunity. The new bike is the icing on the cake

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith