Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

50+ riders have more endurance

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-09, 03:39 PM

Location: Alameda, CA, an island city on the edge of San Francisco Bay
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

on the bike.

Don't know how many of you subscribe to RoadBikeRider.com, but here's an interesting article from today's newsletter (1/22/09).

https://www.roadbikerider.com/#DISPATCH
Old 01-22-09, 03:58 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I got to know this after a layoff for about 6 months at 52. I may not have had the speed that I used to have- but distance was still not a problem. Stamina and endurance improved- but those youngsters could still pull away from me for the first 50 miles of a ride. After that - I never saw them so couldn't say how slow (Or fast) they still were.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-22-09, 04:35 PM
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 432 Posts
Originally Posted by backinthesaddle
nuttin personal, but I wanna read the actual study paper.
Come on
flower-pickin, glossy interpretation by some other olde pharte does, in no way, provide sound evidence that old people have MORE endurance than a similarly trained much younger person.
I can accept that proportional to what happens as we age, 'endurance' fades less quickly than 'quick power'( and would subjectively attest to that...). But to say Old phartes have MORE endurance is gonna take a lot more solid evidence than some 'pronouncement' without accompanying data which can be scrutinized for quackitoode...
I mean, come on...
Old 01-22-09, 04:36 PM
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
All I can say is that I seem to feel stronger relative to the pack in the races I do when they are over 40 miles long, I actually seem to get into a better rhythm in the last few circuits/last 45 mins. I'm in the 35+, I was 50 last year racing against mostly 35-45 year old men. I think has more to do with the fact that I ride more miles than 95% of those guys than anything else (12K+ annually).
Old 01-22-09, 04:54 PM
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 432 Posts
juice!

:-)

but seriously, its a wonderous thing that you ride 35+. really
but I would be more willing to give you more intelligence in how you use your resources, how you ride and knowing yourself - in reachin the line in better shape than many of the 'younger' guyz. And yes, if you're doin more quality miles than them, that will certainly account for a lot.
sayin that you;re smarter, more focused, and better able to dose out the effort seems a lot more likely at the moment than "old have more endurance than young'
wow, if that were true, I can't wait to hit 7-oh...
Old 01-22-09, 05:17 PM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
That's why really old people win the Tour de France, most marathons, and every Iron man.
Old 01-22-09, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
The referenced article lost me as someone who thought it might be credible as I read: "The January 2009 issue of Exercise and Sports Sciences Reviews investigates the entire world's literature to show that endurance improves as you age." This simply can't be an accurate statement. Hence, any other claims made are subject to an evaluation of their accuracy. I agree with Cyclezen on this one. I'd like to read some of the actual studies on the issue. While we (the collective 50+ posters) may want to feel good about ourselves, let not become stupid in the process.
Old 01-22-09, 06:14 PM
Recovering mentalist

Bikes: Too many

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well the abstract says:
The results of recent studies indicate that in healthy men and women aged beyond approximately 65 years, the energy-producing pathways in skeletal muscle may combine with changes in motor unit behavior and muscle contractile properties to provide a unique environment for resisting muscle fatigue under some conditions.
We're not told what those "conditions" might be, but perhaps they are the actual cauldron of competition or event.

For instance, the median age of entrants to Paris-Brest-Paris 1200 km marathon is 50.

In my position as randonneur route coordinator (and "recruiter") I see very few young riders who stick with the sport. Sure, you'll get plenty of young 'uns who turn out for a 200k and put in impressive times, but that drops off dramatically for anything 300k and over. Some will claim that's because marathon cycling is "boring" but it's much more likely that younger riders aren't cut out for rides of this sort -- which require feats of extreme endurance, with little rest.

Frankly, I've never been sure if that's due to mental attitude, physiological adaptations - which this study seems to support -- or a combination. Certainly, life experience, for some, tempers the mettle. But this study appears to back up a feeling I have that I'm getting better at endurance as I age (now closing on 57).

Here's their original proposal