Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Mysterious Injury

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Mysterious Injury

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-09, 04:33 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Mysterious Injury

Ahhhhh.....the aches of a 50+ year old.

Let's see. I've been playing golf regularly for almost 50 years. However I have not played in several weeks but took advantage of some decent weather yesterday and hit some range balls during lunch. As I was leaving the range I noticed my left knee was really sore and felt pretty stiff. Sure nuff....did something to tweak the knee. But I don't swing near as hard a Tiger.......how in the world could that have happened??? I'm sure the extra 5-6 pounds of winter weight didn't help any.

I hoped the knee would have felt better this morning but it was still very stiff. It was hurting so badly I could only manage about 85 miles on my bike. Last year this time it was my butt. Now it's my knee. I guess I better plan on my foot or ankle hurting next year this time.......Next time I suppose I'll go riding during lunch instead of hitting golf balls.
Old 01-24-09, 04:42 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
Have you tried the usual "rest, ice, compression, elevation" treatment? Is ther eany swelling? You mention stiffness, but do you still have a full range of motion, albeit only during slow stretching?
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 01-24-09, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Ahhhhh.....the aches of a 50+ year old.

Let's see. I've been playing golf regularly for almost 50 years. However I have not played in several weeks but took advantage of some decent weather yesterday and hit some range balls during lunch. As I was leaving the range I noticed my left knee was really sore and felt pretty stiff. Sure nuff....did something to tweak the knee. But I don't swing near as hard a Tiger.......how in the world could that have happened??? I'm sure the extra 5-6 pounds of winter weight didn't help any.

I hoped the knee would have felt better this morning but it was still very stiff. It was hurting so badly I could only manage about 85 miles on my bike. Last year this time it was my butt. Now it's my knee. I guess I better plan on my foot or ankle hurting next year this time.......Next time I suppose I'll go riding during lunch instead of hitting golf balls.
I used to play a lot until 20 years ago.. last spring I got out the clubs and started hitting balls...
after the third time I had the same problem, my knee hurt...stopped...Gonna try it again this year, and if it hurts gonna get a phsy therapist to take a look and suggest a cure...gotta be a weak ligament or some such thing..
Bud
Old 01-24-09, 08:58 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I hoped the knee would have felt better this morning but it was still very stiff. It was hurting so badly I could only manage about 85 miles on my bike.
The "rest" part of RICE does not mean an 85 mile ride. Take some time off the bike.
Old 01-24-09, 08:59 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What's the old saying? "You drive for show and putt for dough." Maybe it's time to work on the short game for a spell.
Old 01-25-09, 09:30 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I've been playing golf regularly for almost 50 years.

Next time I suppose I'll go riding during lunch instead of hitting golf balls.
50+ years playing golf??? Way past time to give it up. I gave it up after playing nine holes with my dad when I was 16.

Take your own advice and go riding. Donate your golf stuff to Goodwill.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.