Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Supposed to be saving Money--Well I did.

Today I had to go shopping- well not shopping but to the Travel agents to find out about Air Fares and travel problems to America. I did hear that there is a recession in the UK- wish someone had told the queue that was trying to book holidays Etc in The town- so I went shopping instead. Into the LBS and I need a warm Long sleeve jersey. Looked on the racks and nothing warm enough- good enough- or value enough to catch my eye. The owner pulled me aside and told me I would not find what I want on the racks- They are in the Drawers out the back. So I made the coffee again as he dealt with a customer. Then he pulled out a couple of jerseys for me to look at. They were good but one was a lot thicker- warmer and made of breathable material. was also damp proof according to the label so tried a medium on. I must have put on weight so looked for a large. Then I saw the label-- ASSOS. I can't afford ASSOS and definitely not the ones made of Airblock material. These are $300 jerseys and no matter how good they are- I am not paying that much for a jersey. The owner insisted I try the large and it felt perfect. Then he told me the jersey was last years pattern and would not cost me that much. Suffice it to say that I have gone upmarket on jerseys.

http://www.primera-bournemouth.co.uk...spx?prodID=477

I got the Yellow one as I need to be seen on the road. Just hope it doesn't clash with the Giordana Bibshorts I bought last year. A top quality Jersey like this is going to be an investment. And If I can't get out on a ride- It will definitely be keeping me warm when I stand posing at the Cycle events I plan to visit this year.

And on sizing-Don't worry about the sizing table on any Italian manufacturer- as I don't think they do either. Either those Italians are Ultra slim or have very long Arms- The Large fits me perfectly- except for arm length. (5'6" with a 38" chest)
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Neil_B
    Where in the United States are you going to show off your new jersey? In New Jersey, by chance?

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately you will find that the pound sterling was down to US$1.38. That's the lowest I have ever seen. The airline ticket will be more expensive than usual. Personally, I only expect the dollar to get stronger. Worldwide, funds are beginning to migrate to the dollar. Whether or not you could save money by waiting to buy your ticket is anyone's guess.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    stapfam, you don't look like you're 50+. Are you sure you REALLY belong in here?
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am wearing well but not that well.

Might have to see how well it works tomorrow. If the rain does not arrive before 9am- or stops before then- I have a couple of mates round to try road bikes. Promise of an inch or so of rain overnight.

Spike Milligan

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was about to say I would never consider paying $300.00 for a jersey but then six months ago I would have said I would never spend more that $200.00 for a saddle. Sometimes when the high end stuff is on sale and we may be a bit flush at the time you have to drop the hammer and go for it. I tend to get my kit from California companies like Voler.com

I live in Southern California so cold weather riding is a relitive thing. If it rains then there is always tomorrow for a ride. I also agree that picture of you in the Yellow Jersey and Bibs does make you look younger than 50+.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a thick, warm polar fleece sweatshirt that I bought at Kmart for $12.49. It's hi-viz orange and it keeps me warm down to 30 degrees F. When I pair it with an outer shell ($24.99, also Kmart), I'm good down to 0F.

"Think Outside the Cage"

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    I have a thick, warm polar fleece sweatshirt that I bought at Kmart for $12.49. It's hi-viz orange and it keeps me warm down to 30 degrees F. When I pair it with an outer shell ($24.99, also Kmart), I'm good down to 0F.
    I don't believe they allow 0 degrees in my area. I have some $7.00 thermals from wally world when it gets below 45 degrees but that is about it. Like you I wear sweatshirts and light weight jackets on my shopping, casual ride, bikes.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Foster View Post
    Like you I wear sweatshirts and light weight jackets on my shopping, casual ride, bikes.
    I wear sweatshirts and jacket on my epic length take-no-prisoners rides also.

"Think Outside the Cage"

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Foster View Post
    I was about to say I would never consider paying $300.00 for a jersey but then six months ago I would have said I would never spend more that $200.00 for a saddle. Sometimes when the high end stuff is on sale and we may be a bit flush at the time you have to drop the hammer and go for it. I tend to get my kit from California companies like Voler.com

I live in Southern California so cold weather riding is a relitive thing. If it rains then there is always tomorrow for a ride. I also agree that picture of you in the Yellow Jersey and Bibs does make you look younger than 50+.
    Neither would I and I won't tell you how little I paid for last years Model and the Trade discount I get from my LBS. But this jersey is suitable for riding in 0F to 64F. Of course I would be silly to wearing it at that extreme. I mean- it is S/Sleeve time when it gets to 60 round here.

And I'll have to back to the LBS next week- Didn't realise the publicity shots were going to be that quick so I'll have to get the bibs now.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can always find less costly solutions that work very well, but sometimes it is nice to go for the good stuff, especially when you can get a better price than usual. I have been trying to find a good deal on a nice l/s merino wool cycling jersey, but just can't find much of a discount on anything I really like. It is hard for me to pay $130 or so for a jersey, but I think that's what I'll have to do eventually.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Neither would I and I won't tell you how little I paid for last years Model and the Trade discount I get from my LBS. But this jersey is suitable for riding in 0F to 64F. Of course I would be silly to wearing it at that extreme. I mean- it is S/Sleeve time when it gets to 60 round here.

And I'll have to back to the LBS next week- Didn't realise the publicity shots were going to be that quick so I'll have to get the bibs now.
    Now you need to post your picture on the best looking 50+male forum. Still sometimes getting the right equipment for the task at hand just seems worth it, when you can afford it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great looking jersey. Hope you get many warm and carefree miles out of it. Why in heavens name would the shopkeeper not have those jerseys out on display?
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    Great looking jersey. Hope you get many warm and carefree miles out of it. Why in heavens name would the shopkeeper not have those jerseys out on display?
    On the racks are the general clothing for those that just want a jacket/jersey/shorts and they do get pawed over- dropped on the floor- taken for a walk out the door.

Just face it- only a serious biker will know the quality he wants and know it is worth paying for. By keeping them in the wrappers- out of dust and pawing hands- He will not suddenly lose a very expensive piece of merchandise or have it damaged.

And just to let you know- I only paid $100- or if the falls overnight again- even less.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bournemouth, stapfam? That's not a very LBS is it?That was a good deal, all the same.
    The pound is so low against the $ now, that it's cheaper for me to buy stuff from ProBikeKit - no VAT and free shipping.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artmo View Post
    Bournemouth, stapfam? That's not a very LBS is it?That was a good deal, all the same.
    The pound is so low against the $ now, that it's cheaper for me to buy stuff from ProBikeKit - no VAT and free shipping.
    The site shown was just to show a pic and price of the jersey. But with the dropping so low- a couple of sites for you to compare prices. PBK seems to be a favourite over in the US and they have good experience of shipping to you- and a good reputation.

http://www.probikekit.com/index.php

One that also has experience in shipping is Wiggle. Don't use them much myself though

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/d/Cycle/7/1/1/

Monuntain bikeing and Merlin is my favourite for Hand Built wheels.

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/

Plenty of others but these I can recommend from personal use.

Spike Milligan