To start with the positive - you did a number of things right in order to prepare for today's 45-mile group ride:
- You printed out and doubled checked your "bike ride check list"
- You printed out the map and cue sheet, and looked up the address of the meeting place
- You brought exactly the right clothing for a ride that started at 30 degrees F
- You set two alarms, woke up at 6 a.m., and double checked the club website to make sure that the ride was still on (it was)
- You lubed the chain, cleaned it, and ran the bike through all the gears before packing it in the car
- You brought a map in case you got dropped by the group (a "no regroup" ride)
- You left in plenty of time, and arrived at the ride start (40 minutes from home!) in enough time to grab a cup of coffee to stay warm
Only one thing you did wrong:
- You brought your SPD shoes for a bike with Look pedals
And that, self, is why you are at home doing yard work instead of enjoying a group ride.
Please re-read next Saturday morning, 6 a.m.