Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Mysterious Injury (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/505142-mysterious-injury.html)

jppe 01-24-09 04:33 PM

Mysterious Injury

Ahhhhh.....the aches of a 50+ year old.

Let's see. I've been playing golf regularly for almost 50 years. However I have not played in several weeks but took advantage of some decent weather yesterday and hit some range balls during lunch. As I was leaving the range I noticed my left knee was really sore and felt pretty stiff. Sure nuff....did something to tweak the knee. But I don't swing near as hard a Tiger.......how in the world could that have happened??? I'm sure the extra 5-6 pounds of winter weight didn't help any.

I hoped the knee would have felt better this morning but it was still very stiff. It was hurting so badly I could only manage about 85 miles on my bike. Last year this time it was my butt. Now it's my knee. I guess I better plan on my foot or ankle hurting next year this time.......Next time I suppose I'll go riding during lunch instead of hitting golf balls.

John E 01-24-09 04:42 PM

Have you tried the usual "rest, ice, compression, elevation" treatment? Is ther eany swelling? You mention stiffness, but do you still have a full range of motion, albeit only during slow stretching?

oldster 01-24-09 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by jppe (Post 8240649)
Ahhhhh.....the aches of a 50+ year old.

Let's see. I've been playing golf regularly for almost 50 years. However I have not played in several weeks but took advantage of some decent weather yesterday and hit some range balls during lunch. As I was leaving the range I noticed my left knee was really sore and felt pretty stiff. Sure nuff....did something to tweak the knee. But I don't swing near as hard a Tiger.......how in the world could that have happened??? I'm sure the extra 5-6 pounds of winter weight didn't help any.

I hoped the knee would have felt better this morning but it was still very stiff. It was hurting so badly I could only manage about 85 miles on my bike. Last year this time it was my butt. Now it's my knee. I guess I better plan on my foot or ankle hurting next year this time.......Next time I suppose I'll go riding during lunch instead of hitting golf balls.

I used to play a lot until 20 years ago.. last spring I got out the clubs and started hitting balls...
after the third time I had the same problem, my knee hurt...stopped...Gonna try it again this year, and if it hurts gonna get a phsy therapist to take a look and suggest a cure...gotta be a weak ligament or some such thing..
Bud

JanMM 01-24-09 08:58 PM

I hoped the knee would have felt better this morning but it was still very stiff. It was hurting so badly I could only manage about 85 miles on my bike.

The "rest" part of RICE does not mean an 85 mile ride. Take some time off the bike.

Jet Travis 01-24-09 08:59 PM

What's the old saying? "You drive for show and putt for dough." Maybe it's time to work on the short game for a spell.

RonH 01-25-09 09:30 AM

I've been playing golf regularly for almost 50 years.

Next time I suppose I'll go riding during lunch instead of hitting golf balls.

50+ years playing golf??? Way past time to give it up. I gave it up after playing nine holes with my dad when I was 16. :rolleyes:

Take your own advice and go riding. Donate your golf stuff to Goodwill. :innocent: