Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I've made the transition...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

I've made the transition...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-09, 05:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I agree its a bad winter for cycling in Mass. Ice, cold, pot holes, salt and snow all coming more frequently than most previous years. About three years ago we had a winter where I bike commuted at least once a week all winter, not this year.
Old 01-27-09, 09:16 AM

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
Welcome aboard!!

Welcome, LOL, you don't have a be a "Lance" clone to be a part of the 50+ers, (no matter what some of them might tell you) Whatever you ride, ENJOY it and let us know your adventures or just come on in and give us your "2 cents" as they say!

Old 01-27-09, 09:51 AM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
I post on this board occasionally even though I'm not 50 yet. But sometimes I just feel 50.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 01-27-09, 10:26 AM

Bikes: Trek 800

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
I post on this board occasionally even though I'm not 50 yet. But sometimes I just feel 50.
Does that mean I can sometimes post on the 80+ board when they start one?
Old 01-28-09, 12:09 PM

Bikes: Nishiki Sport, GT Talera, Bianchi Imola

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Again - thanks to all for the welcome. I hope to be more active here than I have been in the past - consider that a warning!

The snow here in Boston is changing over to rain as I type, so I must go shovel before the snow saturates and weighs more than my 15 year old GT Talera (I'm a roadie, but do some trail riding as well).

Pie sounds like a reasonable entry fee - but I'm sure I'm not alone in hoping to shed the holiday pounds before summer. Pie would be counterproductive. I am doing you all a favor by refusing to enable your porcine ways!
Old 01-28-09, 12:13 PM
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by waldowales
Welcome.
I never did get anything worthwhile from AARP when I was a member. Then, when they decided they knew more about my health care needs than I did, I canceled. For a year or so, they kept sending me invitations to re-join, before they finally stopped, I was already getting invitations to join! They seem to be primarily a PAC, so find out what they lobby for and make sure it is what you want, before you join.
I got a great rate on car insurance with them. Over a hundred bucks less a month, I have a teen driver with great grades and no accidents or tickest and Farmers was killing me.
Old 01-28-09, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
Go ahead, take a break from it, you need one now and then. After a while, your legs will tell you it's time to go for a ride. They like the exercise. You'll also notice a few new pounds hanging around your waistline. It will be time to hit the trail. bk
Old 01-28-09, 02:49 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Welcome to the group, dcmurph. Riding your age on your birthday is a tradition; but don't worry, it gets more challenging as you mature.
Old 01-28-09, 02:53 PM
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Welcome to the group, dcmurph. Riding DOUBLE your age on your birthday is a tradition; but don't worry, it gets more challenging as you mature.
Fixed that for you.