Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drop and give me 10

"Drop and give me 10" was something we heard from the coaches as basketball players and sometimes baseball when something was done wrong. Back then the 10 or 20 push-ups were absolutely no problem and only took seconds to complete. It has been many years since I could drop and give 10 push-ups.

At 59 years old and 235 pounds I doubted I would ever again be able to give 10. This winter I have been working out more, a lot more. A couple days ago I did actually complete 10 push-ups with the body totally straight with my body lowered down close the floor and then back up until the arms were straight. Let me assure there was a considerable amount of grunting, but it was done. Actually, two days in a row.

After many years of sedentary life, I felt like this was a big deal. I would like to know if it is to most 50 plus, or have I been way behind the curve?
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way to go!

I believe I'd still be good at the "drop" part, but the "gimme ten" part . . . not so much.

S E Michigan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try it on skates we had a hockey coach who like to make us do them at hockey practice and bare hands on ice . Congrats I CAN DO THE DROP PART NOW

too old for bike shorts? cyclehen's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Trek 7.3FX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did my first "real" push-ups EVER over age 40. It was just sort of accepted when I was a kid that girls didn't have that kind of upper body strength. We did knees-bent "girls' push-ups". I now do 3 sets of 20 routinely. I am thrilled and can relate -- I think it's a big deal!!
    Hint: don't do your push-ups daily-- you need to rest muscle to grow muscle.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sure did a lot of push-ups in high school. But I don't think I've even tried to do one in the last 30 years. Probably pull a muscle or two if I tried.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate, you're probably the fittest bloke on the forum (we all know the wimmens is way fitter).

Me? I can't do pushups because my siamese cat keeps getting in the way - that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Richard
    I had a good bike ... so I FIXED it

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way to go!
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I do 10 regular dips followed by 10 weighted body dips (extra 30 lbs) followed by 12-15 proper pushups followed by another 10 weighted body dips (extra 50 lbs) followed by 12-15 more pushups followed by 30 regular body dips - about 3-4 times per week.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 02-05-09 at 09:23 PM.
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

Old Fogy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do twelve as part of my regular morning routine. I would do more, but once I increase the number, I can't go back! 69 years young next April.

My Bikes
    1971 Suzuki TS125/factory race kit/AHRMA-legal; 1969 Suzuki TS250/factory race kit; 1967 Suzuki K-15 Hillbilly Trail 80; 1977 Yamaha IT175; 1964 VanTech Scrambler racing frame
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do 20 in my morning stability ball routine; but it's a bit of a cheat because I'm suspended at my knee/shin area rather than all the way back at my toes.

My Bikes
    Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeArkansas View Post
    After many years of sedentary life, I felt like this was a big deal. I would like to know if it is to most 50 plus, or have I been way behind the curve?
    Mate, I've learned to ignore all the people who can do more than me, do it faster and do it for longer. It doesn't matter who you are, even on a gentle forum like this one, there's always someone who'll out do the fittest and strongest dog in the pack ... and that's without anyone doing a wee bit of exagerating.

My take on the matter is this - if it feels like an achievement to you, it IS! Feel free to brag all you want.

At times like this, I like to go back to the very first entry in my cycling log:
    Distance: 3.2km.
    Comment: Utterly stuffed

Richard
    I wasn't joking about that stupid cat either
    I had a good bike ... so I FIXED it

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just tried and got 9 good ones in before giving in to gravity. I was surprised that I could do that.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some very interesting stories. Bluesdawg gave it a try and got nine good ones, Yea, Yea, Yea. Waldowales, Dminor and cyclehen complete sets of push-ups on a regular basis, extremely good. I did like the ice push-ups that Pipes did in Hockey.

Has anyone else decided to give it try like Bluesdawg. Let us know your number.
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

My Bikes
    Trek 5200, Giant Rainier, Devinci Destination,Motobecane CF, Cannondale road tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use it or lose it! How true is that. Weight bearing exercise is crucial at our age. Start easy and workout 3 times a week. Have at least 48 hours rest before repetition of the same set of exercises. follow this regimen and you will be surprised at the gains. Never too old to learn new tricks.
    Hockey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeArkansas View Post
    Has anyone else decided to give it try like Bluesdawg. Let us know your number.
    I had to stop at 7. Haven't done a push up since high school (obviously). Maybe I should work on it. Yeah right.

Old Fogy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got to thinking about it, and I just had to try to chin myself. I did it once!
    What is the best treatment for pulled arm muscles?

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    40 years ago and the physical test on pressups when you first went in to the marines- I managed 35 and was told I had to improve. 5 months later and I had to do 100 to prove I had improved. No problem.

Just tried it again and I collapsed at 11. If I keep practising- I might get to 12 but then it would get boring.

But then I don't care either. There are advantages to getting older and not having to do pressups is one of them.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ouch!!! 33 push-ups and now my tie is dirty.

Did them behind my desk at work just now. I haven't done pushups for years. I have been doing plank holds for two minutes and different core work using a stibility ball. One of the stability ball excersizes has me in a push-up position with knees on the ball then I pull my knees toward the front creating a ball with my body, I do 30 reps x two sets. Another stability ball excersize has me in the push-up position with upper shins on the ball, then I lift my hips and butt up forming an inverted V or ^, those are hard so I only do two sets of 15 reps. I think holding the pushup position in those excersizes helped me get to 33 pushups. My arm and chest muscles are still singing. Why did I think I could just do push-ups without warming up?
    oldschool areodynamic brick

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My father was a drill instructor in the Army. So the phrase "Drop and give me ten" was one I heard more often than most. By the time I reached 18 I was done dropping and giving anyone ten. Today, push ups are still no sweat. You just have to keep doing them. Like anything else, use it or lose it. Of course every now and again, the bursitis in the shoulders makes doing more than a handful too painful an experience.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Three more have done some push-ups. The numbers are 7 and 11 and 33. Thirty three is way out there. Trememdous job. The seven and eleven are more in my world.

I am riding in the morning, so after I return I will try to match my ten push-ups again.

Any more 50 plus bikers doing push-ups?

dbg
    My Bikes
    2004 Trek 5900 Superlight, 2001 Lemond BA, Dozen other muts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now drop and give me 20!

My Bikes
    Marin Pt. Reyes, Gary Fisher HiFi Pro, Easy Racers Gold Rush recumbent, Cannondale F600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just did 20 and that was about the max. Rather poor, as I'm a flyweight and should be able to do better. Used to be able to do 15 chin ups and was only able to do six the other week at my cousin's place.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The average 50+ Hoosier probably can't do a proper pushup.

I try to do pushups and crunches every other night at bedtime (go figure). I've done more pushups than miles the last month or two. I can do 10 with reasonably good form and then repeat once or twice on a good night. I ask my wife to climb onto my back to make it a challenge but, of course, if she took me up on it, it would kill me.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I just did 10, the first 10 I have done in years. I remember when the coaches would make us run when we screwed up. I would eagerly finish the laps which would both irritate and please the coaches. Ah, the memories at age 59.

My Bikes
    2008 Lemond - Buenos Aries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    aww come on guys and gals...10 pushups...slacker...get your act together....etc.

How can you expect to live long enough to see what you want to see
    and do what you want to do in life if you cant drop and bang out like 25+
    push ups at will
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast