Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Splish - splash...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Splish - splash...

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-09, 04:09 PM
train safe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Splish - splash...

It was a great day for a ride. We left at 7—the temperature was around 25, but a high was expected in the lower 50’s. A huge improvement over the temperatures we have been having here. I met Luke at the skating rink in Reston, with the goal of riding the trails to Great Falls Park. The ground was frozen, so we were able to zip through, making great time. I was on my rigid single speed mountain bike (an On-One Viper—which I LOVE), and he was on his 29er single speed. I couldn’t believe the number of deer we saw—and the number of runners… but no other bikes (probably too early). The bikes worked really well—even on the bigger hills. It was a blast.

There are two stream crossings where a cement base has been put in, with cement pylons on the side that you can walk on, if you so choose. The first one is shortly after crossing Route 7, and it was not a problem… we rolled through, did some good single track and eventually got to Great Falls. The falls were spectacular—and even better because there was basically no one around. The return trip was relatively uneventful. We got back to the stream crossing, and again, went through with no problems.

On the way back, we decided to go ‘the long way’ home—through Difficult Run. It is a pretty ride, but with more open areas, so a lot of the ice we have had was melting, and it got quite mushy. Near the end of the ride was another river crossing, much like the one we had already gone on, but I believe it was a little more angled. I was behind Luke, who went through, and then I started. About half way across, my rear wheel slips, and I fall on my side…into the cold water. It was only about ankle deep (I know, because I immediately stood up, and water was over the tops of my shoes. Of course, the temperature has warmed up a bit—but it is still in the 40’s. I was so shocked by the fall (as in I didn’t expect it) that I didn’t feel the cold right away. I crossed the stream and put my bike down. Then I started taking off my shirts so I could wring them out—Talk about hard to put back on… it was COLD. Four bikers showed up at that time, and after I explained what happened, they walked their bikes across on the cement pylons instead of rolling through the water. So here I am, probably 5 miles from the car, sopping wet. We got back on the bikes and just kept moving. As long as I was moving, there was no problem, but I didn’t want to move too quickly – especially out in the open, because the wind would freeze me over.

The clothes I wore worked… a base layer and then a fleece top. Wrung out, both stayed warm. I didn’t bother doing anything with the shorts/tights (lycra), as if I kept moving, there was enough blood circulating in my legs to keep me warm, even though my skin felt cold to the touch. I am very glad I wore wool socks. I think that was probably what kept my feet comfortable—if that word can be used to describe the squish squish every time I took a pedal stroke.

I got back to the car with no problems. Luke took off for home, and I turned the heater on high…

Train safe-
Old 02-07-09, 04:22 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
There is always a fine line between having the right clothes on a bike for the temperature and having the right clothes when something goes wrong. I'm always afraid that I will be seriously underdressed if something breaks and I'm several miles away from the end of the trail. I usually carry at least a jacket in the bag, just in case.

Good choice, to take off a wring out what you were wearing.
Old 02-07-09, 06:07 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
We were fortunate here in CenTX today. The temp was 82 around 4PM.

But it was so windy there were whitecaps in the toilet.
Old 02-07-09, 07:27 PM
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Monoborracho
But it was so windy there were whitecaps in the toilet.
Beans for dinner?

Back to the OP - I never suffer conditions like that but I too have been very fond of my car's heater on occasion. Glad it wasn't worse mate, I suspect it could have been.

Richard
Old 02-08-09, 08:05 AM

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is so nice when a product does the job it was intended. I know you were not comfortable, but can you imagine how cold it would have been if your shirts were cotton. In the right situation it is hard to beat a cotton shirt, but for riding the wicking materials are wonderful.
Did you try to wring out the socks? Doubt it would have done that much good, just curious.
Old 02-08-09, 07:25 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Yes, wool is wonderful stuff. I know sheep have been working on the exact composition for thousands of years, and by golly, they got it right!

Wool saved me this weekend too when I got stranded in an otherwise underdressed for the weather situation with a broken chain on my fixed gear bike.

Wool balaclava, wool turtleneck base layer, wool socks, . . . I was fine. So thanks to all those generations of sheep who have worked so hard for so long . . . to get it right!

Rick / OCRR