Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My first Century Attempt

Ok I have taken to road bikes and joing club rides and made small upgrades to my bike. I will be honest when I got the road bike last July one of our club riders asked if I wanted to join them on a Century in February. I said I didn't think I would be ready. Well I have changed my mind and I signed up for the Tour de Palm Springs tomorrow. I even decided to give the whole 100 a try rather than start with the 50 miler. Now if I can just remember all the advice I have taken from this forum and just have a good time. I had the bike serviced yesterday, got three new tubes and have plenty of poweraid and fuel. I hope to take a few pictures to share.

Bob

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck! You'll have fun no matter what; looking forward to the pics.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastic

Be sure to take lots of pictures and enjoy the ride. Just take it easy, stay hydrated and eat to keep the energy going.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will die.

Kidding! Just take it easy, keep hydrated (hey, is there an echo in here?), rest when you gotta (but not too long lest the legs muscles tighten up) & you'll have an accomplishment you can be proud of for the rest of your life.

The sore butt, on the other hand, lasts only a couple of days. Good trade-off IMO.
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck. Just curious, how long have you been riding and what is the longest ride you have done up to this point. Three yeas ago I thought I was ready for a 60 mile ride. About 5 mile from the finish if someone offered to shoot me I would have let them. Not a pretty site. Boinked big time. Last year 2 centuries no problems.

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What they said.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oilman_15106 View Post
    Good luck. Just curious, how long have you been riding and what is the longest ride you have done up to this point. Three yeas ago I thought I was ready for a 60 mile ride. About 5 mile from the finish if someone offered to shoot me I would have let them. Not a pretty site. Boinked big time. Last year 2 centuries no problems.
    I just got back into cycling after a 20 year layoff last may. Bought a Semi recumbent and did the utility thing for a while. Got a MTB in June and a Road bike in July. I joined a club in July and have been riding three times a week with them up to this date. I average just about 40 miles a ride with two in the 50 mile range. I still take a day off between rides to recover. I have dropped from pushing 260 to just between 225 and 229. After my last 50 I still had some juice left and my legs didn't quit on me.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll do just fine. Eat and drink plenty and don't worry about your speed or time. Just ride within your limits and enjoy the ride.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bon voyage! At least you don't have to get up and repeat the ride the next day... and it does sound like you're pretty well prepared.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
    Bon voyage! At least you don't have to get up and repeat the ride the next day... and it does sound like you're pretty well prepared.
    No repeat ride but a recovery ride the next day on a butt that someone has been kicking for about 4 hours will hurt.

Take it you are doing the ride with a few mates. Remember they are mates and won't mind if you lag a bit. If the pace is a bit too high- Wave goodbye and keep at your pace. Far better to do a 7 hour ride and finish than a 6 hour one and bonk. And talking about bonking- Watch out for around the 70 mile mark. That is the danger time. I normally have a break around the 60 mile mark and eat something just a bit more substantial than I have been munching all through the ride. Only takes a couple of minutes to get off the bike- Eat your meal- stretch and drink a bottle of energy drink.

First sign for me that I am going to bonk is when I do not feel like eating anything. I would have been snacking on Dried fruit- cereal bars- Cake and I normally take a bit of cheese for protein. I also take a couple of gels with me and as soon as I don't feel right I take one. Takes about 20 minutes for it to take effect so slow down for a bit if you feel the need to have one.

Enjoy the ride and get pics. And just remember that this is your first century and you do not have to set a record time on your first 100 miler.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like fun. Be safe and enjoy yourself.

Can I come?!?

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post

Enjoy the ride and get pics. And just remember that this is your first century and you do not have to set a record time on your first 100 miler.
    Actually, whatever his time WILL be his personal best, right? So he WILL set a record.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatever happens will happen. I've had centuries where I enjoyed nearly every mile, ones where I did fine until the last 20 which were agony, and one I didn't finish - I got in the sag wagon after 65 miles.

You'll know so much more after the first one. I hope it won't be the one and only. I think centuries are pretty fun, regardless of the suffering.

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlueToe View Post
    ...I've had centuries where I enjoyed nearly every mile, ones where I did fine until the last 20 which were agony, and one I didn't finish...
    A bit OT/thread hijack but that's encouraging for me at least. My last century - only my 2nd - had me doubting the wisdom of doing any more.

Of course the fact that it rained, sometimes hard, for most of it might have been a factor.
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

My Bikes
    '06 Specialized Roubiax Expert, '08 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29, Nishiki frame
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck Bob...may the wind always be at your back.
    2006 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    2008 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29

Old Fogy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll do great! Looking forward to your post ride update.

My Bikes
    Cervelo RS, Specialized Transition, Kona Paddy Wagon, Giant MTB. Lots of bikes in the Garage.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the way up keep your butt on the saddle.
    On the way down coast.
    Next century is for finding out how fast you can go.
    Enjoy the ride, lots of memories and new friends.

Old Guy On a Bike
    My Bikes
    New: Motobecane Grand Record Old:Soma 10-Speed (30 years old)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How did it go?

Robert, I have been cycling a bit longer, but I am working on doing my first Century before my 60th birthday on March 20. Let us know how yours went. You can visit me at http://oldguyonabike.com.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like Stapfam said, nothing can kill your century quicker than trying to keep up the pace of someone else. Hydrate well and eat enough to keep up your energy. Get some low and high glycemic index food in you and you'll do fine.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go for it, Bob!

Right now, I'm just wishing I lived someplace where it was even possible to ride a century in February!