Thread: First Stack

My Bikes
    Giant OCR3, Giant Upland
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Stack

Well, my Son in Law who is a very keen cycler brought my daughter back home for a visit. Just recently I expressed a desire to ride down some trails just to get away from the routine of road biking. Well, he's keen on anything with two wheels so he brought his MTB up with him. Yesterday we road the local trail at "Blue Hole" sort of a big hole near a gorge. It was quite exciting and a wonderful experience... I may even be hooked. I even enjoyed my first stack. Going down a 45 degree rock face when the front wheel dug in to some soft mud. I'm still amazed at the aclarity of my fall. I knew I was going over the front handlebars and even had time to check my hand was off the brake just in the hope the wheel might move. By that point I was horizontal and I went over them and the bike landed on me. Ben, my son in law was laughing pretty hard, which made it all that much sweeter when he disappeared two minutes later in a similar fashion.

Really was a great day.

Cheers all
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a fall that qualifys for Club Tombay but send off for an application form for when you get more proficient.

Now if you were using clipless pedals- it would have looked better. Over the bars and when you eventually land-You can easily find the bike as it is still attached to your feet. And good choice on offroad riding. Imagine that fall on asphalt. Falling onto 6" of mud or leaves is softer and doesn't damage the Fosters in the back pocket.

And glad to see the youngster has learnt from the master. All you have to do now is show him how to climb the Technical 20% hill.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Giant OCR3, Giant Upland
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I'm well pleased I wasn't clipless. I reckon I would have some wonderfully scarred elbows to go along with the sprocket scratches on my calves etc., etc. I did think I was quite fortunate, as I was wearing a backpack .... and unlike your suggestion, I wasn't carting around a slab of piss to drink everytime we stopped. I did fall into wet grass and soft dirt, thus only a good thump on the scone some brusing on my thigh and Benji making a better telling of the aerobatics each time he told the story.

Today we went on a bush ride that he used to do "when I was a kid"... about two minutes ago if you ask me. Anyway, we get to this swampy looking downhill trail and I marvelled at the lunacy of the downhill riders. Feeling reasonably confident that anyone over 50 was a damned rare sight in this neck of the woods, I released the brake deciding I wasn't going to even try to keep up with the luny SiL. Because it was raining I'd left the specs at home. Within moments the jarring and blurring made it impossible for me to see what I was doing. I did try to maintain my composure and didn't even scream once. At one point I'm sure I locked the bike up and gained speed.

For my skill at staying on, all I got at the bottom was Benji's face as he looked at his computer... "only 38 kph, when I was a kid I used to get to 60". Pretending to be disappointed I agreed that it was a tough break.

Mind you, I still had a good time but the next time I do the downhill it will be nice and early in the morning and dry as toast. Yes, the fall would be harder but, I won't be going 38kph either
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now downhills are nice- The only chance on a ride where I have a change to catch up the youngsters. And that blurry vision helps. You can't see what you are about to hit so don't worry about it. And speed does even out the ride. You only hit every other lump and bounce over the rest.

And on the clipless---- You won't believe me but clipless pedals do help on control of the bike. No feet jumping off the pedals at critical moments and sending you off balance.

But age does seem to be a bit of a downer for offroad. About 3 years ago I went road and this has slowed me tremendously offroad. Nothing like a long steep climb in mud to keep the cardio-vascular strength way up high and this is noticable when I get dragged screaming out on the trails nowadays. Seems to take longer to wear out the youngsters now I have lost some of my fitness.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Giant OCR3, Giant Upland
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, young Benji certainly can leave me behind. It was funny though, I reckon we're about the same level of fitness.

I'll stick to flat pedals just for now. I just don't want to be locked into my falling off committments just yet.

I can't believe this place sometimes. Half the country is fire ravaged and the other half is flooded. Can't go out today for fear of going axle deep.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try taking Benji on a 30 miler- Youngsters may be fast but they don't have stamina.

Was going to ask how the weather is with the Fires- but you have already answered it.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Giant OCR3, Giant Upland
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh see Benji used to train quite hard. I think he had his eye on the Tour and just dipped out. He used to represent NSW in road racing and I think he did quite well in MTB as well. Besides, I'm not sure this old goat could do a 30 miler.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen that done! I've also done that scene.

The second time that I broke my collar bone in the same year was when I decided that maybe mountain biking might not be such a good activity for me. I've putzed around on my mountain bike a few times since then but I havn't recaptured the urge.

My Bikes
    Giant OCR3, Giant Upland
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ouch
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_K View Post
    I'll stick to flat pedals just for now. I just don't want to be locked into my falling off committments just yet.
    I can't think of a single time that my clipless pedals have failed to disengage while crashing over the bars or any type of crash at speed. Only when the crash was caused by a sudden loss of forward motion have they remained engaged after the fall. But I can't count the number of times I have been able to avoid a crash because the cleats kept my feet on the pedals instead of bouncing or sliding off in a rough situation.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Giant OCR3, Giant Upland
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll see how I go. I've got a pair of Shimano MT41s coming tomorrow. I've got Shimano 545 pedals so now I just need to get used to them all but not all at once.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bikes
    Giant OCR3, Giant Upland
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate, the weather here is unreal at the moment. It's so bad that even the koalas are coming inside for a drink and normally they never even drink water... let alone take a tub in the stuff.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]