Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Ever Gotten Lost While Riding????

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Ever Gotten Lost While Riding????

Old 02-15-09, 11:09 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo Slim
You kidding? I got lost on my trainer!
1st Prize
Old 02-15-09, 11:22 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I grew up in Detroit, MI where the the streets are in a grid pattern, extend for long distances and are well-marked. Boston is entirely different. Besides a crazy pattern of roads originating as cowpaths, roads changing names at seeming random points,
Now stop right there, and tell me about 16 Mile Road (aka Quarton, Big Beaver, Metro Parkway, etc.) in Detroit.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 02-15-09, 11:23 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by nkfrench
Yeah, I got lost. Not just lost, f-ing lost.
Yeah, we never let nk lead our breakfast rides.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 02-16-09, 06:31 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
Now stop right there, and tell me about 16 Mile Road (aka Quarton, Big Beaver, Metro Parkway, etc.) in Detroit.
Good point, but the road itself travels in a distinctively straight east-west line and is well marked, so if you are going in a specific direction it is nearly impossible to get lost. In Massachusetts, the name change is often not marked when it begins and may well not be marked at a following intersection at a subtle acute angle where it is easy to take the wrong fork.

If you mean tell you about the road conditions, that thoroughfare is a mostly a wide, divided high speed highway with a gravel shoulder over much of its length. There is a bike path for about 8 miles or so. I am less familiar with it in the well-heeled Oakland County suburbs, where I think it narrows down, but I'm not sure it has a paved shoulder, so I presume you have to take the lane. On other than the MUP, I probably wouldn't be riding it and wouldn't worry about getting lost.
Old 02-16-09, 06:33 AM

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
The suburbs is the most likely place to get lost. Those big circles in the suburbs can make one dizzy. Often when I go on recreational jaunts, I don't care if I get lost. I am just exploring. As long as I get home before dark. Yes. That has happened a couple times. On those kinds of days, when you have no agenda. Just riding to where ever.

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 02-16-09, 07:59 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by nkfrench
I ended up in a residential neighborhood and asked a lady working her yard for directions. She called her husband out and they ended up putting me and my bike into their SUV and giving me a lift back to where I knew where I was (pointing out where the crucial turn was). There was another street sign missing, and they got me past that point also and dropped me off in familiar territory so I could finish the ride.

A few days later, I had flowers delivered to them with a thank-you note. I am grateful to those strangers for being so kind to a tired and lost cyclist.
EXACTLY!

You got disoriented, met some new helpful prople, eventually found your way back, and now you have a great story to tell. What could be better?
Old 02-16-09, 08:13 AM

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 263 Posts
"Boston Mountains"???

I have become lost a few times when riding a lot farther than usual. I usually just ask someone to point in the general direction of the city I lived in and off I go. I think the worst was an hour of "lost time" making for a 4 hour ride. I always carry my celly so a quick call home eased worries and I got a great 4 hour training ride out of it and learned of some nice new roads. Win win !
Old 02-16-09, 09:07 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I've only gotten lost twice.
First time when I was doing my first metric century in 2000. This was before I got a cell phone. I missed a marker on the road at about the 55 mile point and rode about 4 miles before realizing what had happened. Decided to turn left (south) at the next intersection because I knew the finish was that direction, toward the sun. Never found any other riders or markers so turned around and rode back to the turn and the last marker I saw and continued on from there. Sadly I was one of the last to finish. Can't figure how that happened.

The second time I got lost was last December. I was riding the CX bike on one of the local mtn bike trails. It was only my second time on that trail. After about 1.5 hours I decided to head back to the car. I took what I thought was the correct trail. I eventually crossed the same bridge twice and passed the same rock formation three times. So I stopped, looked around and walked the bike through the woods to another trail I could see off in the distance. Followed that one for a while until I finally saw what looked like the trail that lead to the parking area. A few minutes later I was at the car. Whew!

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 02-16-09, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Sometimes, that's the whole point of the ride. Some of my best days on the bike contained the line "Where the hell am I ?"
Old 02-16-09, 10:24 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1
Sometimes, that's the whole point of the ride. Some of my best days on the bike contained the line "Where the hell am I ?"
Ah, a fellow member of the Fugawi tribe.
Old 02-16-09, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 2,167 Times in 1,459 Posts
I'm a runner as well. Many years ago in my marathon training, I got lost. I stopped at a trailor office for a new housing development and asked the salesperson for directions. His response was "you came from where?"

I ended up more than eight miles from home.
Old 02-16-09, 11:36 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by waldowales
If you don't ask for directions, you're not lost!
And if you do get directions, then you're not lost *anymore.* I guess you can only get lost retroactively.
Old 02-16-09, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Member? I'm the Fuga Chief!
Old 02-16-09, 12:47 PM
Senior Moment

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 4.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got 'almost lost' this weekend. Blame it on bad computer generated maps. While I was editing a couple turns I snagged the wrong data point to drag and drop onto the correct path. However the trip notes told me to go left instead of right after I made that adjustment and well the rest is history. This happened 3 times on the route. So I went back to route app and zoomed into the map to the max and yup there the bad turns were plain as day. Next time I go with a computer map and notes I'll double check to be sure I have checked my edits. Oh and I hate getting lost. the better half was expecting me at specific time. I was only 30 minutes late which I thought was pretty good. Wife did not think so. I guess my 'almost lost' counts as lost as I still caught heck. Hah! learned a new way home though.
Old 02-16-09, 02:19 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
As in, "we're the..."
Old 02-16-09, 03:26 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Having spent 57+ years in this same small geographic area, I'ld have to be a much stronger cyclist than I am to get far enough away to get lost. You see, all of my rides originate from home.

That being said I often get into such an introverted state that I kind of "zone out" when riding. I often come to my senses several miles after what was intended to be my next turn. So I tend to get lost in my thoughts and end up re-routing an already loosly planned journey.

Last edited by cranky old dude; 02-16-09 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-16-09, 03:56 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have but not often.

In 2007 I did a trip though Montana. On the second to last day, with the temperatures 108 degrees, the route was scheduled for 92 miles with lots of climbing. I took off early, at sunrise, to beat the heat. The first mistake was missing the turn and riding 8 miles out of town. I knew this wasn't right, checked my map and then turned around went back. "Oh there's the turn!" (she exclaims after seeing it was very obvious - I must have been day dreaming)... and now 16 miles extra out of the way, I am on route.

Fast forward another 2 hours, sun's is up. It's hot and windy. I start this long climb. It goes for 4 miles. At the summit I realize I am at the start of a major highway. Mmmmm I don't remember them mentioning a highway. I rode another mile... now things seem wrong especially since no one was passing me. Checked the map. Dang, missed another turn, at the bottom of the hill. Turned around and went back down. The good thing is I was able to tell 3 other people they also missed the turn.

Now on another climb (this one much prettier but steeper) I felt better but I was now 26 miles extra into the day and it was hot and water was precious. At mile 72 (which was my mile 98) after running out of water and bonking bad I quit and sagged in. That'll teach me for not paying attention!!!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 02-16-09, 04:01 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also have another funny story (or 10) - the first time my girlfriend and I tried to ride mountain bikes in Mammoth Lakes, CA. We had a general idea where to go. Let's just say it was a long, and frustrating day. We were so lost. Totally trail brazing - through trees and over forest debris - lions and tigers and bears oh my! The only saving grace is that we could see Mammoth mountain and knew we had to ride back towards it. Our little "quick" little ride went about 40 miles and 8 hours.

Another time mountain biking by buddy and we decided to check out a trail we had never ridden. Let's just say that turned into Gillian's 3 hours tour. We planned to be out 2 hours, was out 6, went from one side of Orange County to the other and had to get back. We had no snacks, little water and no money. That was a lesson learned.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

Last edited by Pamestique; 02-16-09 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-16-09, 06:35 PM
Grammar Cop

Bikes: in my sig line

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
On those kinds of days, when you have no agenda. Just riding to where ever.
Isn't that what riding's about?

Up the SGRT to the Rio Hondo junction, then up the Rio Hondo to wherever. Past the 10, past some model airplanes park, as far as the nursery. It was getting late, so I started back. Wanna try that one again with an earlier start. Just to see where it goes.
Old 02-16-09, 06:42 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've helped 4 or 5 people to find their way when they were lost on RAIL TRAILS!!!

A couple of those were rails that had a grand total of one intersection with another trail over their entire length and these people had missed it.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 02-16-09, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE= Big Beaver, [/QUOTE]

Yea,,,,,,,,,, I got lost there once..........................

Bud
Old 02-16-09, 07:16 PM
Slogging along

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been lost and turned around in the suburbs and foothills on occasion while riding. But the worst "lost" experience happened while driving. I drove to a convention at a hotel in downtown Los Angeles and parked near the top of the parking structure. Being familiar with LA I never thought I could get lost. Later at night when I left, I drove down the parking structure on a spiral exit going around and around and around. When I got to the street, I didn't recognize a thing and there were no street signs. So I just started driving until I could find something familiar. The city at night was dark and foreign, I didn't recognize a thing. It was like a Batman movie. Ask for directions? Ha! Nobody, no way. Finally after driving a few miles I found a familiar land mark and made my way home.

OK, maybe this was not a cycling "lost" experience but it was certainly my worst.

PS. This was in the days before GPS. I'm sure everybody on the 50+ forums remembers those days.
Old 02-17-09, 05:15 AM

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 263 Posts
I am Chief Dirty Neck of the famous NoWash tribe.
I also belong to the wherethefugami club of America.
Old 02-17-09, 10:28 AM

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I like getting lost, I intentionally try and get lost, its one my favorite things to do on a bike.
Old 02-17-09, 11:20 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There have been days when I wished I was lost and no one could find me.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.