Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Titanium coated carbon fiber ski poles

I bought the lightest and stiffest ski poles I could find for CX skating saturday. Very good poles, but I had to smile when I read their brochure. They are made with an "insert of titanium coated carbon fibers" for extra stiffness. This must be a great new material for that ultra expensive roadbike I really, really need.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could you cut one in two and post a picture?

My Bikes
    1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in the mid-sixties when I was XC racing, we were using bamboo poles. I remember when I first saw carbon fibre poles in the late seventies they were being used by some of the elite participants in the marathons and citizen loppets I was doing. It was not unusual for a pole to break spontaneously or from being fallen on. I moved to fibreglass because it was almost as light and less prone to breakage. One day I might get some carbon fibre poles for track skiing. I still like bamboo for backcountry skiing and bushwhacking because if it breaks it just splinters lengthwise without separating. A little duct tape around the break and you're good to go.
    I'm a classic diagonal stride skier, but I'd like to try skate-skiing. I keep balking when I see the price of the equipment, though.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a process of layering an ultra-thin coating of titanium on each carbon fiber. Commonly done to reduce interaction and oxidation between the carbon fibers and other materials. A number of medical, space, and industrial applications for it.

I haven't seen any claims that the combination is any stronger than regular CF, but perhaps it is.

There are a number of other materials that have been used for coating CF, such as nickle.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ti & CF. Kind of like donuts to Homer Simpson.