Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: President's Day

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

President's Day

I celebrated President's Day by going to the Clinton Library. They were letting everyone in for free.

A nice exhibit of Peter Max's work was opening today, but there was other interesting stuff in "world's largest doublewide" as the museum is sometimes known.

Featured prominently was the yellow jersey that Lance Armstrong wore when winning the '99 Tour De France. They also had his helmet and bike. I'm not sure if he rode the bike in the TdF, but it was interesting to see. A 10 cogs on the back and a double ring on the front must have made for some interesting cross-chain action. It had a Shimano Ultegra grupo and of course a carbon-fiber frame. I didn't catch the other stuff. Pretty bike, and the museum had painted the hook holding the bike to match the detailing on the bike.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    in my sig line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lucky you! The only Presidential libraries we have around these parts are Tricky Dicky's and Ronnie Raygun's.
    That which does not kill me has made a massive tactical blunder.
    Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen. Louis L'Amour
    '07 Giant Cypress WSD "Radagast the Beige-and-Black" * '97 (?) Bianchi Premio "Orion" * '09 Trek Allant "The Black Pearl"

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
    I celebrated President's Day by going to the Clinton Library. They were letting everyone in for free.
    You have to pay to get into the library???
    The Carter Center is here in Atlanta but I've never been there by bike, car or Marta.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read an interesting op ed piece ranking the 42 Presidents (counting Grover Cleveland only once) in order of achievement, with Lincoln, Washington, and the two Roosevelts on top and Buchanan in the bargain basement. William Henry Harrison got a low rating, but perhaps a one-month President should not even count. Tyler, who took over for him, didn't score much better, and neither did Taft, arguably the heaviest man ever to occupy the White House.
    http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stori.../?zIndex=53502
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adjacent to the library, there is an old railroad bridge spanning the Arkansas River. As part of the deal to build the Clinton Center, the bridge was supposed to be restored and converted into a bicycle/pedestrian bridge. After checking out the library, I went over to see how things were going.

Sadly, the bridge sits there untouched and the Clinton center seems undisposed to lift a finger. Bicycle, skating and walking activists are working to push them into completing their part of the bargain.

I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    2009 Trek FX 7.3 ( pimp moment )
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Artkansas, i am planing on taking my old friend to White Hall near Pine Bluff, i will bring along my bike with me and head up to Little Rock to visit the Big Dam bridge, i will also ride on their 12 miles bike trail as well, any info on that? does it share with cars or it's a bike path itself?
    2009 Trek FX 7.3

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been to a number of homes and memorials of ex-presidents. Only Presidential Libraries were McKinley, Truman and LBJ. The McKinley library & museum in Canton, OH is very impressive. Of the homes, the most fascinating was Jefferson's Monticello.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KungPaoSchwinn View Post
    Hello Artkansas, i am planing on taking my old friend to White Hall near Pine Bluff, i will bring along my bike with me and head up to Little Rock to visit the Big Dam bridge, i will also ride on their 12 miles bike trail as well, any info on that? does it share with cars or it's a bike path itself?

I think you will enjoy it. The best part of the trail is on the North Little Rock side, above is a picture from the NLR side. Most of that is separate trail, but the parts where you share the road are pretty low traffic. On the Little Rock side, the trail is not finished from downtown to Rebsamen park, and you have to ride among traffic most of that distance. Its not too bad once you get out of downtown. From Rebsamen to the Big Dam Bridge the road and trail are separate. There is a map on the River Trails website.

My Bikes
    Kona Cinder Cone, Sun EZ-3 AX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
    Adjacent to the library, there is an old railroad bridge spanning the Arkansas River. As part of the deal to build the Clinton Center, the bridge was supposed to be restored and converted into a bicycle/pedestrian bridge. After checking out the library, I went over to see how things were going.

Sadly, the bridge sits there untouched and the Clinton center seems undisposed to lift a finger. Bicycle, skating and walking activists are working to push them into completing their part of the bargain.
    A US president breaking his trust? I am shocked and apalled.........................!!!
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)