Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a rather pleasant surprise.

Today was the first club ride after my first century last Saturday. It rained Sunday so I spent about an hour on the life cycle. I managed to walk a mile between showers. Monday it rained so there was no club ride again so another hour on the life cycle and walked another mile. Tuesday was off and on rain so I only got a walk in.

Today the skies cleared and it looked like we would get in a club ride. The group was a bit small for a Wednesday. I was planning on taking it easy for this ride and was pleasantly surprised how good my legs felt. As we pulled onto one of the main roads heading out of town I was just hanging on to the end of the pace line and they were just cruising along with a slight headwind.

Then about a mile ahead of us I could see the hill coming. It is only about Ĺ of a mile long and maybe 250 feet in elevation but it is always the place where I get dropped. Today however I was still feeling pretty strong, as we got closer to the hill and as one of our riders broke out of the line I decided to go with him. As we started up the hill one of our stronger riders pulled passed us and started a quasi sprint up the hill. I managed to pull out from the rider I was following and jump on the second riders back wheel. I followed as close as I could expect to run out of gas any minute but I was overjoyed I was staying with him. He stood up and I managed to remain on his wheel and as he sat back down a miracle happened. I pulled out and passed him and started pulling away. About 30 yards later I was beginning to think I would have to down shift or stand myself but when I looked back I knew he wouldnít catch me.

I would have thought my legs would have needed far more recovery time after the century but I believe all that time in the saddle the Saturday before had done something to my peddling technique. All I know is my bike felt smoother for the whole 40-mile ride.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A long time cyclist gave me a good post century ride tip. Take a slow paced 2+ mile walk the next day. I have tried this and it really helps.

As to pleasant surprises. I looked out on the front stoop before work and there was a package. An ice cream making machine sent to us from some folks who had visited! Totally unexpected and what would go better than home made ice cream with home made pie.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oilman_15106 View Post
    A long time cyclist gave me a good post century ride tip. Take a slow paced 2+ mile walk the next day. I have tried this and it really helps.

As to pleasant surprises. I looked out on the front stoop before work and there was a package. An ice cream making machine sent to us from some folks who had visited! Totally unexpected and what would go better than home made ice cream with home made pie.
    Not that is a way to carb load. You get the basics, fat from the milk, sugar from the cream and fruit and carbs from the grains in the pie crust. A balanced meal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Robert, I think that you are getting the hang of this bike riding thing.
    Dennis T

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kicking butt on 10% grades is terrority. Nice job Mr Foster.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe they'll start calling you "Mr. Hundred-Mile." ??
    Yeah baby, let's peel out!!

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the positive responses. But I am wondering why my performance took such a jump in such a short time. Could it be that 7.5 hours on the bike changed my technique? I honestly can feel the pedal stroke almost 360 degrees on each side. At least I could that day.

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm betting the three days off the bike (lifecycle & walking) helped too. My legs always feel strong after easier days or plenty of rest.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    So Tom only hires people that are nutty? Is part of the requirement to be a moderator on this site is that you have to be nuts??
    Forum Guidelines *click here*