Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I rode the electronic Dura-Ace!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

I rode the electronic Dura-Ace!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-09, 12:45 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
To me, the greatest potential benefit of electronic shifting will be near-total freedom of form factor and location for the controls, including the option of having a fingertip/thumbtip control at each of the 5 or 6 grip positions on a standard set of drops. I presume there will be some sort of low battery indicator. Another cool feature would be a simple manual override, which would permit one to stop and to use a 4mm hex key to move the cage to a desired cog in the event of an electrical failure.
From what I've seen so far these units are going to show up on TT bikes for that very reason. There will be shifter buttons at both the base bar and aero bar positions. Now that there are brake levers available for all 4 positions as well, the riders will be able to stay in the optimum rider position for the circumstance and still have access to all of the controls. At the top level of racing, just a few seconds is worth the effort.
Old 02-22-09, 10:11 AM

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
Wow, this kinda trick stuff amazes me, we went to a bicycle show on Sat. and they had a road race bike on a trainer, the guy was clicking gears but I couldn't find the shift lever's? Then I saw he was clicking a "black lever" which seems built in to the brake levers, are these what you guys call, bifters?? LOL, man I've been away from bicycles WAYYYYYY to long, it's like when someone is talking about a 10 speed, I invision a old Schwinn Varsity, their peaking of a 10 gear cluster It's hell being a old guy

Old 02-23-09, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
I watched the TOC on Versus and saw a bit of the hype...

What impressed me was the assertion that chain ring shifts
could be done under 'full' load.

It seems that I am always starting up the hill geared too high and
the ability to downshift using the front or rear derailleur under
heavy load would be a killer selling point for me.

Jerry
Old 03-01-09, 01:26 PM
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 982 Post(s)
Liked 516 Times in 354 Posts
They had the Shimano Di2 demo at the Handmade Bicycle Show in Indy this weekend. (I guess handmade bikes need the latest gear, too.)

The bike was on a trainer and they were inviting show goers to try it out.

As the chain was shifted from one end to the other on the cogs, the front derailleur moved slightly to keep it in trim. I didn't take a close look, but I suppose the front cage can be narrower since it is trimmed automatically.

They asked the test riders to stand and spin in the small chainring, then shift it to the big chainring while pedaling full speed. It shifted immediately under full load.

The front shifting ease seems to be the biggest improvement over cable shifting.
Old 03-01-09, 02:51 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert Foster
haven't they replaced most friction shifters with index shifting?
Not on my bikes, they haven't. I have even switched some of my road bikes that came with indexed shifters back to friction. Why? Because I like it better. Any shortcomings of friction shifting do not come into play in my riding on those bikes. On the other hand, I really enjoy the indexed shifting on my SRAM X.9 equipped full suspension MTB. Things happen so fast on that bike that thinking about shifting would be a big problem and could cause a crash.

But I have no problem with Shimano developing new technology. If it helps give racers an edge, good. If it gives rich people something to play with and to feel superior about, well so be it. So long as they don't try to make me pay more for something that doesn't really make anything better for my riding experience or safety.