Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Renaissance?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Renaissance?

Have not been on the road for 10 yrs-have occasionally ridden wind trainer. Used to be avid touring
    cyclist and commuter. Decided recently that I need to feel the joy again in spite of arthritic knees
    and mangled ligaments... have "renovated" my 30 yr old Trek. Find that I can't use left leg toe clip...
    something "pops" behind knee so my position on pedal not classic! Guess whatever works is OK!

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome back to cycling. It only gets better.

Just three years ago at age 58 I resumed serious riding. My legs are now at least ten years younger.

There are some clipless systems, Frogs come to mind but there are others, that give you considerable latitude in foot angle.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

My Bikes
    a bunch
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gcottay View Post
    Welcome back to cycling. It only gets better.

Just three years ago at age 58 I resumed serious riding. My legs are now at least ten years younger.

There are some clipless systems, Frogs come to mind but there are others, that give you considerable latitude in foot angle.
    same, same.

ditto on the frogs. They 'float' thru the entire range without any tension, so however you 'wobble' when you pedal, they won't resist. A pretty nice design for us wobbly knee guyz (I use Crank Bros cause my wobble is within their float range and I got them before tryin the frogs...)

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those knees will improve with practice. Not certain when you will get back to commuting or touring but Things do improve
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't use clips. I'm okay with that. I'm 57 and have never stopped riding (other than a month or two here and there when life got in the way.) I say start easy and ease into longer rides and see what happens. It seems the odds are good that you'll be fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As others have said, Frogs may help, but I've never found any particular advantage in clipless pedals (I know, I'm a minority of one, but I have 30 years experience to back up my opinion). My knee problems were solved by riding with the toe clips loose enough that my foot can swivel freely. the clips still keep your feet from slipping off, and us old guys don't pull up on the pedals enough to matter anyway.

My Bikes
    DiamondBack Edgewood// Raleigh M20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 59 and back at it after a few years away. Coming back about 5 years ago I learned the hard way about a lesson.
    Use both brakes. Front and rear. Particularly going down hill.
    dc

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found if you have been away for any real period of time you have to work slowly to get back into it. The first things to remember is spin don’t push. Stay in lower gears as much as you can and your knees will thank you. At least that was what worked for me.