Slow Moving Vehicle Jean Beetham Smith's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Felt F-70, Terry Madeleine, Novara Safari fully customized by me
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How dumb I can be

I retired early, last spring, so I could spend more time caring for my out-of-state 93 yo mother. I thought I was all prepared for reduced income. I thought I had my lifetime set of bikes; a Felt road, a Terry tourer, and a MTB modified into a city bike. At 5'0", these were hard to find and were set up with the shortest stems available for road bikes. Late last fall I suddenly noticed that the reach was feeling long, so it shouldn't have been a shock when my MD told me I was only 4'11". I've changed handlebars to help with the fit some. About the only way I can get a shorter stem is to get a DH stem, which will look bad on my bikes. Another year and another inch and I will probably need a new bike,which I hadn't budgeted. When I had already been diagnosed with osteoporosis, and every time I hug my mother (who was taller than me) I notice that my chin rests on her head; how could I have not planned for my own loss of height? I even worked for a guy that was always saying "Denial is not a river in Egypt". It is hard to make the transition from "grown-up" to "shrinking".
    Help grow the future of cycling in the world. Volunteer at your local "earn-a-bike" program. In the Boston area http://www.bikesnotbombs.org/about

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What would you have done differently if you'd planned for more loss of height? Sounds like you already have the smallest equipment available.
    http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are no style points awarded on the 50+ forum. You need to go to the Road Forum for those. Get shorter stems and ride in comfort.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was a young kid, I simply couldn't believe it when someone told me older mountains are smaller than younger ones. I thought everything got bigger as it got older. Sigh.

I'd listen to Allegheny Jet if I were you. Above all else, your bike HAS to fit.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to be harsh, but what do you care what the stem might make your bike look like? As long as you are comfortable, just enjoy the riding, and by the way, HTFU.
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

My Bikes
    Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DiabloScott View Post
    Sounds like you already have the smallest equipment available.
    Damn but that sounds cold....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sauerwald View Post
    Damn but that sounds cold....

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ROLF is your friend!..

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N+1 always finds a way

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's always a smaller size
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Last one to the top... Little Darwin's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, too short a stem could adversely impact handling as well.

Fortunately, I don't think that human shrinkage ia a linear thing. Also, try some stretching, and you may be able to curtail the shrinkage. Maybe start hanging from a pull-up bar when you are not riding...

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles due west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and 2011 Felt Z4. :-)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you considered an adjustable stem?

Sorry to hear about the osteoporosis. I hope you've talked to your doctor and researched ways to reverse it or at least slow it's progress.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2011 Felt Z4

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here on 50+, we can fix anything...

My Bikes
    '03 Trek 7500, '08 Madone 4.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the flip side, I somehow grew an inch this year. Made my BMI look good . . .
    Last edited by tntyz; 02-24-09 at 06:53 PM. Reason: fix typo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Darwin View Post
    From personal observation (two life flights to regional trauma centers) I think that using a short stem can be very dangerous.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Darwin View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Terex View Post
    From personal observation (two life flights to regional trauma centers) I think that using a short stem can be very dangerous.
    I guess that is the big question. How short is too short. I'm not worried about my knees hitting the bars when I stand, because my knees just don't hammer anymore. What I'm really worried about is at what point do you get dangerous twitchiness?

Thanks for the good humor guys.
    Help grow the future of cycling in the world. Volunteer at your local "earn-a-bike" program. In the Boston area http://www.bikesnotbombs.org/about

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Beetham Smith View Post
    I guess that is the big question. How short is too short. I'm not worried about my knees hitting the bars when I stand, because my knees just don't hammer anymore. What I'm really worried about is at what point do you get dangerous twitchiness?

Thanks for the good humor guys.
    I'm sure your LBS can answer this question for you. Also talk to them about changing the seat post angle. My touring bike's reach was a little too long for me and they put on a shorter stem and changed the seat post to get me a better fit. I'm just a little taller at 5'3'.

I also have osteoporosis and used to be 5'4" Medication and exercise has kept the loss stable for several years.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Current seatpost angle is 76*, don't think I can go any steeper. I already feel like my seat is as far forward as I can tolerate. I think the stem is all that is left that I can fool with.

Medication has not worked well for me. Fosamax gave me such severe GERD that I thought I was having a heart attack, and Reclast seemed the only way to go. I had one injection last June, but now my kidney values have gone up so that is the end of that. I'm trying to find a weight program that my insurance will cover since all of the gyms here are very expensive.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Beetham Smith View Post
    Current seatpost angle is 76*, don't think I can go any steeper. I already feel like my seat is as far forward as I can tolerate. I think the stem is all that is left that I can fool with.
    Some seat posts will adjust the saddle further forward than others. I use an inline seat post and this gives me plenty of adjustment- but I did try another form of inline post a few years ago that pushed the saddle too far forward. And on that Bar stem- I have run as short a stem as 40mm on the Tandem and only found that it was too short. Did not affect the steering at all and if anything is going to react to anything being wrong- it is a Tandem.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan