Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   50+ and Facebook and reunions... (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/514460-50-facebook-reunions.html)

buelito 02-24-09 07:33 PM

50+ and Facebook and reunions...

Looking through some of the posts we have had on here recently got me to thinking… Facebook is great—it allows you to reconnect to your past—not just high school. (I went to THREE high schools in 2 countries and 3 cities—where different languages were spoken). However, even though I was kind of nerdy and not part of the ‘in’ crowd in any on them, I have gone to all the reunions I have been able—mind you these are mostly school reunions, where several classes join—I have one in 3 weeks for students of the American School in Guayaquil, Ecuador, where I went for my junior year. I remember very few people, but am looking forward to reuniting people who share my past in some way or another.

That brings me to the point of this post… Isn’t the 50+ forum sort of like Facebook? We all commute here daily (or weekly)—the same faces pop up, we share our experiences, we share our glory, we share our pain—and we are all friends—even though most of us will never meet in person. DnvrFox is getting a ride together this summer—isn’t that like a reunion? We do the pie rides—and we brag about which pie is best (there is something about old-fashioned apple pie…)—maybe it’s the scoop of vanilla ice cream on top :)

The post of losing classmates—I guess it’s a fact of life—none of us are going to get out of here alive… nevertheless, reconnecting with our pasts may bring up forgotten memories—things that went well—also, you would be surprised how people change. Or maybe the ones changing are ourselves—we are more tolerant—we appreciate the simple stuff more. We ride… I graduated from a class of 33… Two have passed on, and when we had our 30th reunion (a year late…) 17 of us showed up. It was wonderful—just getting back in touch—seeing what people had done, seeing where they came from—

I understand some people saying high school was best forgotten-- reconsider—next time someone calls you for a reunion, go—you will be pleasantly surprised.

Unfortunately I won’t be able to make our ‘reunion’ ride this summer—but I think of you all—and hope that some day our paths will cross—(I’m the one on the yellow KHS fixed-gear bike)

Train safe--

Jet Travis 02-24-09 08:21 PM

I don't think I'll be ready to reconnect with my past until the statute of limitations runs out in a few jurisdictions.

Actually, I have used FB to reconnect with some old high school friends. And it's been great. Although I wish people would stop sending those virtual martinis and buy me a real one.

fghhunter 02-24-09 08:34 PM

We're having our 40th reunion this coming summer and I suggested we have a bike ride for those of us that don't golf, now I'm going to head up the ride. There is a very nice 80 mile long trail system back in our hometown so that's where we'll ride. Figure this will be safer than riding on the road for everyone involved and will still get us out and about. Thinking I'll open it to any other class reunion that's going on the same weekend as well as other alums; figure why not, the more the merrier.
Just heard tonight that our class of nearly 700 has had over 30 of our classmates pass away.
Looking forward to the ride.

Ranger63 02-28-09 09:49 AM

Reconnecting with the past

Some things are...better left in ones memory bank.
I'm sure there are some who would be thrilled to know I'm still alive.
I know there are others who'd like to know why.

DnvrFox 02-28-09 10:15 AM

I got lost a bit there.

Are you suggesting that the 50+ actually have a presence in Facebook (I wouldn't have a clue) or are you suggesting that 50+ is analogous to Facebook?

dendawg 02-28-09 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 8443053)
I got lost a bit there.

Are you suggesting that the 50+ actually have a presence in Facebook (I wouldn't have a clue) or are you suggesting that 50+ is analogous to Facebook?

You could form a facebook group, but we already have a group here so what would the point be unless you've been wasting all your time on facebook instead of wasting it here. Let me forward this to the department of redundancy department for a second opinion.

jppe 02-28-09 11:06 AM

Very nice reflection and post there Buelito.

Dnvr-I took his post as more of an observation as opposed to a recommendation.

And what is this Facebook thing you speak of......

Digital Gee 02-28-09 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by jppe (Post 8443221)
Very nice reflection and post there Buelito.

Dnvr-I took his post as more of an observation as opposed to a recommendation.

And what is this Facebook thing you speak of......

I signed up for Facebook and now I haven't a clue what to do with it. It's so lonely being friendless! :lol:

Digital Gee 02-28-09 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee (Post 8443435)
I signed up for Facebook and now I haven't a clue what to do with it. It's so lonely being friendless! :lol:

Woohoo! After posting this, I got an email. Jet Travis wants to be my friend! (Okay, we can question his judgment, but that's for another thread...)

Thanks, JT! I have a friend!!! :love:

buelito 02-28-09 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 8443053)
... are you suggesting that 50+ is analogous to Facebook?

definitely analogous--

train safe-

Mark Turner 02-28-09 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by fghhunter (Post 8421637)
We're having our 40th reunion this coming summer and I suggested we have a bike ride for those of us that don't golf, now I'm going to head up the ride.

I'm toying with the idea of riding TO my 40th reunion in 2012. What the heck, it's only Washington state to West Virginia.

It would be totally in character as I was one of very few who bicycled to school. I even carried a tenor saxophone in a wire basket on the back. Then I turned 16 and convinced my dad to let me drive.

I've also connected with a handful of classmates on facebook.

DnvrFox 02-28-09 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee (Post 8443603)
Woohoo! After posting this, I got an email. Jet Travis wants to be my friend! (Okay, we can question his judgment, but that's for another thread...)

Thanks, JT! I have a friend!!! :love:

OK, I joined FB, but no one has asked me to be a friend!:cry:

Digital Gee 02-28-09 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 8445433)
OK, I joined FB, but no one has asked me to be a friend!:cry:

What's your FB name -- I'll be the first to befriend you. As a direct result of this thread and a little work, I've suddenly got a bevy of friends!

DnvrFox 02-28-09 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee (Post 8445654)
What's your FB name -- I'll be the first to befriend you. As a direct result of this thread and a little work, I've suddenly got a bevy of friends!

dnvrfox of course

chainstrainer 02-28-09 08:29 PM

Now you guys have done it. Tread lightly or before you know it you'll be tweeting like a maniac.....

Digital Gee 02-28-09 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 8445698)
dnvrfox of course

FB search can't find you.

DnvrFox 02-28-09 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee (Post 8445731)
FB search can't find you.

Then I must not exist, and I am a figment of your imagination.

DnvrFox 02-28-09 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 8445751)
Then I must not exist, and I am a figment of your imagination.

Try Denver Fox

Digital Gee 02-28-09 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 8445758)
Try Denver Fox

I did, and got over 500 hits.

DnvrFox 02-28-09 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee (Post 8445775)
I did, and got over 500 hits.

Hmm I searched Denver Fox, also.

I only got 3 pages - sure you searched fb and not the web? There was only one other Denver Fox from chicago. This is confusing.

DnvrFox 02-28-09 08:54 PM

I sent you a friends request

Beverly 02-28-09 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jet Travis (Post 8421548)
I don't think I'll be ready to reconnect with my past until the statute of limitations runs out in a few jurisdictions.

Actually, I have used FB to reconnect with some old high school friends. And it's been great. Although I wish people would stop sending those virtual martinis and buy me a real one.

I haven't found too many high school friends on FB but I keep in touch with some people from a former internet group and former co-workers. It's also a great way to keep track of the grandkids:thumb:

Digital Gee 02-28-09 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 8445781)
Hmm I searched Denver Fox, also.

I only got 3 pages - sure you searched fb and not the web? There was only one other Denver Fox from chicago. This is confusing.

I'm sure.